Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mobile Broadband in NZ

Mobile Broadband in NZ

Old May 6th 2009, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice
Default Mobile Broadband in NZ

We are arriving in NZ in a few weeks on a fact finding mission and attending a few interviews, if I bring my laptop what is the best way to get connected for a couple of weeks,not being techy minded does the Uk connections work in NZ and is it the same cost, or do I purchase pay as you go in NZ.
Thanks
Old May 6th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Broadband in NZ

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
We are arriving in NZ in a few weeks on a fact finding mission and attending a few interviews, if I bring my laptop what is the best way to get connected for a couple of weeks,not being techy minded does the Uk connections work in NZ and is it the same cost, or do I purchase pay as you go in NZ.
Thanks
Hi there - where are you staying - lots of hotels / motels have internet connections and you can just plug in and go online. alternatively, there are a huge number of internet cafe's that are reasonably priced if you just want to kep up with emails etc.
have a good trip
Vicki
Old May 6th 2009, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Look at telecom.co.nz or vodafone.co.nz i know they have mobile broadand contracts but dont know if they have pay as you go options.

The easiest will probably be to connect at a internet cafe, either on their machines or through wireless there, the cost is about $2 an hour or so.

Alternatively, there are wireless hotspots through auckland, where you can connect, i dont know what the fee is.

Esquires Cofee Shops lets you connect for free on-site if you buy a coffee.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Go to an internet cafe you can get an hr slot for as little as 1doller. But most are 2-3.

Internet is expensive here in NZ with only two main competitors. There are 3 other companies doing wireless but they are way too pricey.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mobile Broadband in NZ

Originally Posted by newkiwi
but dont know if they have pay as you go options.
Vodaphone do, so telecom probably will in six months to a year.

Linky: http://shop.vodafone.co.uk//shop/mob...s=flt_uSBstick
Old May 7th 2009, 2:32 am
Just Joined

daisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nice

I looked into vodaphone gadget-ey thing last year, and unless you're a resident, you can't get it, as you were required to sign up for 24 months. To me, it was expensive, slow and you could only get in in the 3G areas anywhere, which was last i looked was in main cities only.

I found that the best thing was to use internet cafes - they are usually everywhere and are cheap, and will often have a port for you to plug your laptop into and will help you sort the settings out to connect. Hotel internet is in general over priced. Backpackers and hostels quite often have reasonably priced internet if that's where you're staying.
However, as has been said, Esquires (a coffee shop chain) give you 1 hour (or 30 MB i think) per purchase (and if you smile at them, that's 1 hour for your coffee plus one hour for sticky bun), although some branches can be a bit picky about you plugging it in, whereas others will gget out a extension cord for you. McDonands give free wireless internet access now - is in branches everywhere? In Auckland, there is wireless internet down the whole main street of parnell. Telecom do a prepaid card system for their 'hotspots', which are often in starbucks, but its a little more expensive than other options although you do get to log in and out and use it later. So you'll be able to get online anywhere town-sized (except, strangely, Picton), and I'd recommend you bringing your own laptop, and yes, you should budget the cost into your trip - just don't expect it to be too speedy or for you to do anything to do with video :-).

Hope this helps.

db
Old May 7th 2009, 2:49 am
Just Joined

daisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nice

I didn't mention the cost....IIRC....

Internet cafe using their computers, depending on the speed, from $2-5/hour. It's usually the same cost if you plug your laptop in. Some places do prepay with discounts if you buy, say 5 hours. Some charge per minute, some per 15 mins. Some places with less competition might be as much as $10/hour (I think thats the cost in Te Anau for example).

In backpackers you pay a little bit more for not having to go outside. Some have slot machines attached which give you 15-30 mins for a $2 coin - this is usually very slow. Wireless in backpackers will be a prepay code, usually $5 - $10 per hour (with a download cap - around 50 - 100 MB), sometimes they just charge per MB, no time limit, or you log onto their system with your credit card.

Hotels, I can't remember exactly the costs, but i know last winter i stayed somewhere for work for 2 days, didn't use that much internet, but it cost over $40 in total (I think it was a per day charge).

I think Telecom hotspots cost $10/hour (or 30?/50?MB there is a cap anyway).

How's that? Hope it helps the budget.

And your wireless adapter/card will work fine. It's all the same system.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I think internet access on vodafone prepay is $1 per day for up to 10MB - so OK for doing emails, weather forecast etc. I plug my phone into my laptop when on holiday in NZ and do this. A UK phone will work OK with a NZ SIM, which you can get at Dick SMiths etc.
I noticed recently that Wellington Airport now has free wireless internet access, as do all our local libraries, so this is gradually spreading.
Old May 7th 2009, 6:08 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

A UK phone will work OK with a NZ SIM

An unlocked UK phone will work OK with a NZ SIM
Old May 7th 2009, 7:16 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I think internet access on vodafone prepay is $1 per day for up to 10MB - so OK for doing emails, weather forecast etc. I plug my phone into my laptop when on holiday in NZ and do this. A UK phone will work OK with a NZ SIM, which you can get at Dick SMiths etc.
I noticed recently that Wellington Airport now has free wireless internet access, as do all our local libraries, so this is gradually spreading.
Hi, a wee hijack: I am heading to NZ from Australia and also wondering about internet.

I'm staying long term but don't want a 24 month contract - we have the same hiccup in Australia with mobiles and internet...in fact the wireless plans here with Telstra are now 36 months if you are after a free modem and discount period

I've had someone else recommend getting internet on my mobile plan, then plugging that in to the laptop - which sounds like a plan, but I'm wondering how exactly this works? What do you use to plug the phone into the laptop, for example? Is bluetooth any use?

Vodafone and Telecom seem to be the main competitors: any opinions on which are cheaper or offer the better connection?

cheers!
Old May 7th 2009, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
Hi, a wee hijack: I am heading to NZ from Australia and also wondering about internet.

I'm staying long term but don't want a 24 month contract - we have the same hiccup in Australia with mobiles and internet...in fact the wireless plans here with Telstra are now 36 months if you are after a free modem and discount period

I've had someone else recommend getting internet on my mobile plan, then plugging that in to the laptop - which sounds like a plan, but I'm wondering how exactly this works? What do you use to plug the phone into the laptop, for example? Is bluetooth any use?

Vodafone and Telecom seem to be the main competitors: any opinions on which are cheaper or offer the better connection?

cheers!
How - and how easy - this works depends on your mobile and laptop. Bluetooth is easiest - if you pair your mobile to your laptop you will be able to see whether it offers an internet connection service. My mobile runs windows mobile and was very easy to connect via a USB lead, but others may vary

Telecom are just rolling out a new network, so everything will change in the next few weeks - expect lots more competition
Old May 7th 2009, 10:48 am
Just Joined

SimonAndCo will become famous soon enough

Thanks
Hi,

I too am heading over to Auckland later this month for a few weeks in order to try and find work before we all (wife and two kids) take the plunge.

Like you, I've been looking at the various Internet connectivity options and have the following information to share.

1. From what I can gather, Vodafone NZ do offer a PAYG mobile broadband service at $15 per GB (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/plans...Key=mnit600004), although you will require a suitable mobile broadband modem/dongle. These look quite pricey on the Vodafone NZ site (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/recom...equestid=11470) so what I've done is to buy an 'unlocked' UK one on E-bay for about £40. Hopefully then I can just walk into a Vodafone shop once in NZ and buy the SIM to use in my own dongle.

2. Last time I came over to NZ (two years ago), I temporarily upgraded my the Vodafone UK mobile broadband subscription to something along the lines of the 'International Traveller' option, which gave me a 200MB data allowance in NZ for about £100 per month. Not exactly cheap but it did solve a problem and saved me from paying their normal roaming charges of something like £8 per MB. Looking at their website, it seem they still have something like this although whether you could just get it for a one-off one month period I doubt. It worked for me last time because I already had a normal subscription.

Neither option is likely to be anywhere near as cheap as using Wi-Fi in cafe's etc. but if you're looking for ultimate convenience then one or these options might be useful to you.

Anyway, when are you due to land? I arrive on 30th.

All the best,

Simon
Old May 7th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

How - and how easy - this works depends on your mobile and laptop. Bluetooth is easiest - if you pair your mobile to your laptop you will be able to see whether it offers an internet connection service. My mobile runs windows mobile and was very easy to connect via a USB lead, but others may vary

Telecom are just rolling out a new network, so everything will change in the next few weeks - expect lots more competition
DO NOT use bluetooth. I could easily hack into the computer that way. Wrong move. Ill put ana rticle up shortly on how to stop hackers.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
DO NOT use bluetooth. I could easily hack into the computer that way. Wrong move. Ill put ana rticle up shortly on how to stop hackers.
As the Tui ad says, yeah right
Bluetooth is theoretically hackable, as is WEP, WPA, SSL etc etc
Does this mean there is a great, or even perceptible risk that someone is going to own your computer because you do some occasional web surfing using a bluetooth connection - no
I'd love to see the script that Jay Producer will no doubt donwload from somewhere showing how would-be hacksters think they could do this, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over this - or change the way you're going to use the internet
But I'm only a military CIS engineer, you may want to consult a social worker about this to be sure
Old May 9th 2009, 7:40 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

More competition = excellent!

Re: usb - what sort of cable are you using to connect mobile to laptop? My mobile only has a spot for the phone charger - is there a USB that might plug into that? It's a samsung flip thing with an aerial (an A411???) if that helps?

Off to experiment...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.