Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Minium Salary for Queenstown

Minium Salary for Queenstown

Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

neverland will become famous soon enoughneverland will become famous soon enough
Default Minium Salary for Queenstown

What would you consider the minimum salary for Queenstown (to be able to live semi-comfortable)? We have a small baby and I probably would not be able to work the first few months, so husband's income would be all we have....
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Minium Salary for Queenstown

Originally Posted by neverland
What would you consider the minimum salary for Queenstown (to be able to live semi-comfortable)? We have a small baby and I probably would not be able to work the first few months, so husband's income would be all we have....
I might be completely wrong, but I think buying or renting a house you will pay simular prices to Auckland. I have only been to Queenstown for a very quick visit but I did have a quick peek in an estate agents window and seem to remember being a bit shocked! However, this was 4 years ago when we had first moved here and I thought that its remote location might make it cheaper! So depends if you will have a small or no mortgage really. I know families that live comfortably on about $60,000 but they have practically no mortgage.
What does your husband do? Queenstown was very touristy, very beautiful.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

it really depends on the size of any mortgage or if you are going to be paying rent. If you are able to buy a place and have a small mortgage you can live ok on probably around 50-60k, but if you have a mortgage you would need add that onto the salary.

But then again, people's perception of comfortable living varies, how would you for example answer somebody asking what salary is needed to live comfortable in say Portsmouth?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newkiwi
it really depends on the size of any mortgage or if you are going to be paying rent. If you are able to buy a place and have a small mortgage you can live ok on probably around 50-60k, but if you have a mortgage you would need add that onto the salary.

But then again, people's perception of comfortable living varies, how would you for example answer somebody asking what salary is needed to live comfortable in say Portsmouth?

Portsmouth, that's where I moved from Just made me smile, thinking of it!
I have a feeling neverland is in Dubai? Is that right?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:52 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

IMHO the best places to live are not in Queenstown - bit like living in a resort town. Very expensive to live in, land prices and houses are through the roof. If hubbie is working in Queenstown then why not consider Arrowtown, Alexandra, Cromwell, or any of the small towns in the area. He won't be the only one, most locals have to live outside Queenstown, affordable housing is a real problem for the town. All the land has been built up for swanky hotels and apartments, not much available for your standard nurse or policeman.

As others have said the principle question is are you buying or renting, and how much capital are you bringing with you.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

neverland will become famous soon enoughneverland will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your replies. We were in Dubai and thinking about either returning to Middle East or going to NZ, where my husband has a job offer. We were hoping not to spend any of our capital and would be renting. I guess we should not go there if the offer is under 60 K......