Millford Sound / Te Anau / Queenstown

Millford Sound / Te Anau / Queenstown

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

frecka is on a distinguished road
Default Millford Sound / Te Anau / Queenstown

Morning All
I'm back with another innane question!

Touring the South Island which is the best base for Millford - Te Anau appeals to me because it doesn't seem to be as commercial as Queenstown.
But It seems to me that there is only the one road so it must involve a wee bit of doubling back on yourself.
I also read somewhere this is an Alpine Road and am wondering what exactly this means...is it a difficult drive in other words?
Also we are wondering how much rain we can expect in September? Should I pack my shorts or wall to wall waterproofs!
Ony 5 weeks to go and I can't wait to visit the country I have been adoring from afar since my first primary school geography lesson 20+ years ago.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:29 am
scoobydoo

Default Re: Millford Sound / Te Anau / Queenstown

Originally Posted by frecka
Morning All

Touring the South Island which is the best base for Millford - Te Anau appeals to me because it doesn't seem to be as commercial as Queenstown.
But It seems to me that there is only the one road so it must involve a wee bit of doubling back on yourself.
I also read somewhere this is an Alpine Road and am wondering what exactly this means...is it a difficult drive in other words?
Also we are wondering how much rain we can expect in September? Should I pack my shorts or wall to wall waterproofs!
Ony 5 weeks to go and I can't wait to visit the country I have been adoring from afar since my first primary school geography lesson 20+ years ago.

Hi there!

We stayed in Te Anau for the same reason..less commercial than QT. You do have to go down the 1 road but we found that it was an OK drive as in not too hard with a small campervan. You see so many coaches and large campers going that way too. If you stop along the way watch out for the Keas (alpine parrots) as they like to rip windscreen wipers off etc if they are encouraged!!! Only if you stop though!

We booked a small boat cruise when we got there which was fantastic. And went to the underwater observatory.

Take waterproofs!!!

We then went to QT and stopped the night there...it was nice but commercial with all the bungy jumps etc. Went up the gondola there and watched mad people jumping!

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:13 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Te anau is fantastic scenery.....good access to Milford and other tracks.......you have been warned to take waterproofs......even more important take insect repellent....the sandflies are evil!!

Shame to miss Queenstown altogether though.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by frecka
Morning All

Te Anau is a nice place to base yourself for Milford, it has a very beautiful setting. We were there in early September a few years ago and the road into Milford was closed for a day or two due to snow. When it reopened there was still snow but it was quite driveable in a camper. Once at Milford it rained non stop, so take the waterproofs! I'd also recommend a trip to Doubtful Sound if you have the time. The boat goes from Te Anau if I remember correctly. You then take a bus over a pass at the other end of Lake Te Anau - (probably also stop for a look at the under ground power station which is pretty impressive) down to Doubtful sound.
Enjoy!
Mark