Reload this Page >

Mildew.Does it occur?

Mildew.Does it occur?

Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:51 pm
Banned

gedsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mildew.Does it occur?

Hi everyone
At present we're looking at insurances that goes with shipping a container. We've noticed this 'Mildew Insurance' that's an extra .5% of the total value of what you're sending. Has any one that's shipped suffered a Mildew experience or is it a scare tactic by the shipping companies. Cheers.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Default Re: Mildew.Does it occur?

Originally Posted by gedsy
Hi everyone
At present we're looking at insurances that goes with shipping a container. We've noticed this 'Mildew Insurance' that's an extra .5% of the total value of what you're sending. Has any one that's shipped suffered a Mildew experience or is it a scare tactic by the shipping companies. Cheers.
According to the removalist rep I had around, he reckoned that it very rarely occured, but if you go with Letton Percival who are independent insurers, it is already included in the price. Have a shop around!!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Gedsy,

At the risk of sounding cynical I think it's a bit of a scam - our stuff left the UK in November and sat in store in some barren suburb of rainy old Birmingham for 4 weeks and then spent another 9 weeks bobbing around on the sea.

Our additional bedding/clothes arrived in mint condition even though we were told to insure it in case of mildew!....

I would save your pennies and buy a nice bottle of bubbly to celebrate when you arrive

Good luck and best wishes for all your planning and the journey
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luckybird
I think it's a bit of a scam

In that respect you could argue all insurance is a 'scam' if you're not affected by the event that you insured yourself against and don't end up having to make a claim.

I do remember seeing on here some years back pictures of somebody's container that arrived here with absolutely everything ruined and smothered in mildew. I think it does depend to some degree on what you put inside the container though.

Our washing machine did get some mould around the door seal and the hoses and we never did manage to get rid of the smell or the stains. Mildew is an evil thing once it takes a grip.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

There's more mildew in my house than there was in my container...maybe we should have moved into that