Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mighty River Power

Mighty River Power

Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Mighty River Power

Anyone looking to buy the shares?

It might be a good way to offset the naff currency rates, with a quick buy and sell? IMHO
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mighty River Power

Glad I wasn't the first one to light that powder keg
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Glad I wasn't the first one to light that powder keg

But you can only buy $1000 at a time. The max is $2000 and that may be scaled back depending upon demand.

There will be a bonus for people who hang onto their shares, a bit like British Gas(?) asset sales - all those years ago

Jan
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
Anyone looking to buy the shares?

It might be a good way to offset the naff currency rates, with a quick buy and sell? IMHO
I will buy them. Was against the idea but if it is happening why not? A pragmatic and some what unprincipled, hypocritical attitude I know.

But as I say it is happening why miss out? Of course it may be a massive fail...who knows.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:20 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I will buy them. Was against the idea but if it is happening why not? A pragmatic and some what unprincipled, hypocritical attitude I know.

But as I say it is happening why miss out? Of course it may be a massive fail...who knows.
following Bill English's advice then.....just like me I hasten to add (if there is any money left in the bank come the budget).....

Finance Minister Bill English says people should be thinking about their financial investments - not political opinions - when it comes to buying shares in Mighty River Power.
I suppose it's a bit like supporting National come election day.......forget your conscience and just think of your pocket........
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:27 am
gcr
Forum Regular

gcr is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it's a 'if we have some money we can afford to spend' then yes...

However, I am wholeheartedly against the sale. Have the NZ government not looked at the mess the UK is in following sale of national assets?

Electricity is made in New Zealand, transmitted in NZ, used by people living in NZ... And they want some of the profit to leave the country? Good grief!?!?!?! How stupid can you get?

OK, so sale will be restricted to Kiwis, but does anyone genuinely believe that any interested overseas people will be unable to get their hands on shares? If not immediately, then in due course?

Sheer, complete and utter political lunacy.

Just imho, y'know. I really didn't expect my first post here to become a rant!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:36 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcr
I guess it's a 'if we have some money we can afford to spend' then yes...

However, I am wholeheartedly against the sale. Have the NZ government not looked at the mess the UK is in following sale of national assets?

Electricity is made in New Zealand, transmitted in NZ, used by people living in NZ... And they want some of the profit to leave the country? Good grief!?!?!?! How stupid can you get?

OK, so sale will be restricted to Kiwis, but does anyone genuinely believe that any interested overseas people will be unable to get their hands on shares? If not immediately, then in due course?

Sheer, complete and utter political lunacy.

Just imho, y'know. I really didn't expect my first post here to become a rant!
rant on man ------ some of us are with you (in the main)

however, there might be an upside from these privitisations, if new zealanders can get into the habit of investing in stocks and share and lose their love of "Investment property" which would do the whole country an enormous favour! Of course the government would also have to get with the plan and make some rather unpopular moves on the property taxation (or not taxation) front!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:47 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I'll be waiting to see what numbers they come up with. It will have to make economic sense for me to buy.

Also, they appear to be selling only 49% of the company, which mean the gov't is still the biggest shareholder and calls the tune. Now, what's that bugger Key up to....?

Anything which seems too good to be true, is. I'll be looking for the hook.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by lardyl

I suppose it's a bit like supporting National come election day.......forget your conscience and just think of your pocket........
Gawd ! I so agree with that statement. Not that I voted National in the first place.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by downunderpom
Also, they appear to be selling only 49% of the company, which mean the gov't is still the biggest shareholder and calls the tune. Now, what's that bugger Key up to....?
he has to claim that NZ will be in control of SOEs (well I suppose they would not be S-O if that stopped), otherwise only Banks would support him.

Buying shares in established profitable clean energy companies should make sense when the fossil fuel generators are likely to be struggling in 5 - 10 years, and as one would suspect that the govt. is lining up the best of the family silver first at the best price then it should be good. [this is not financial advice by the way just the result of a licked finger thrust into the air]
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by BEVS
Gawd ! I so agree with that statement. Not that I voted National in the first place.
me neither but I was almost tempted and did switch brain off at the time in order to vote for Winston's rabble
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

It makes you reminisce about living in Britain during the 1980s doesn't it?

Originally Posted by downunderpom
That is the one concern that I have. I'm not worried about John Key's motives but he's not going to be Prime Minister for ever, or possibly for very much longer. The government will still own 51% of the shares which means that they still have 100% control of the company and who can predict what an anti-privatisation government might do in the future.

Originally Posted by lardyl
however, there might be an upside from these privitisations, if new zealanders can get into the habit of investing in stocks and share and lose their love of "Investment property" which would do the whole country an enormous favour! Of course the government would also have to get with the plan and make some rather unpopular moves on the property taxation (or not taxation) front!
To raise standards of living in this country the mind-set has to change from investing in property to investing in companies. This could be one step along that road.

Most of us won't have been here to remember back in the 1980s when the mum-and-dad investors here got burned investing in the stock market but you can't be surprised that they have remained suspicious of it ever since then.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Clappy
It makes you reminisce about living in Britain during the 1980s doesn't it?
Ah ! I Remember it well.

Most of us won't have been here to remember back in the 1980s when the mum-and-dad investors here got burned investing in the stock market but you can't be surprised that they have remained suspicious of it ever since then.
No. I wasn't here. What happened. Was it like the Hanover thing? It explains about the invest in rentals thing though.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

This will put a few off! .. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10869666

NZ must be 30yrs behind the times ... when I was "given" some bank shares in the UK I used Yellow Pages and sold them over the phone.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:04 pm
gcr
Forum Regular

gcr is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to see that they've not decided how many shares they are going to issue, and are waiting to see the pre-registration demand before making up their minds.

So newbie investors are being told they might no be able to get a quick sale? Sounds unlikely... If you have $5k worth of shares, I can pretty much guarantee that someone in China will pay you a significant premium to get their hands on them. That person will more than likely be able to provide you with a proof of residence or even nationality in NZ, too.

We'll be buying electricity (as I said - made in NZ using NZ resources, and paid for using money earned in NZ) and some of the profit from that will be leaving NZ. A net outflow of funds, from NZ. The only conceivable consequence of this is that NZ will be poorer. Why on earth would anyone consider paying a foreign country for something produced, bought and used here?

The government will tell us that overseas investment in NZ is important, but ultimately investors are looking for profits, and those profits will be kept overseas. With a company registered overseas, not even tax on those profits will stay here.

NZ is in a near-unique position. It really could stand on it's own feet, without international intervention.

It's been said elsewhere that the way for NZ to 'grow', and by that I mean as a country and not necessarily as an economic entity, is for more investment in NZ to take place. If that investment comes from abroad, and profit from that investment goes back abroad, then NZ won't grow. As an investor spending $1000, you want more than that back!

I'm not an economist, but this seems (to me) so obvious. Why has it not been seen elsewhere?

And... relax. Breathe...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.