British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Midwife new to forum - split from New to the Forum in Intros (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/midwife-new-forum-split-new-forum-intros-538508/)

LotusEater May 25th 2008 7:37 am

Re: Midwife new to forum - split from New to the Forum in Intros

My interview is this Wednesday in London, with Thelma. To be honest, Middlemore having the highest birth rate in NZ doesn't really instill a lot of enthusiasm from me, I am envisaging lots of interventions etc.

I've also approached a group of independent midwives in Waikato as I found out that they are currently trying to recruit three new independent midwives to join their long standing practice.

Ozzidoc May 25th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by LotusEater (Post 6392856)
My interview is this Wednesday in London, with Thelma. To be honest, Middlemore having the highest birth rate in NZ doesn't really instill a lot of enthusiasm from me, I am envisaging lots of interventions etc.

I've also approached a group of independent midwives in Waikato as I found out that they are currently trying to recruit three new independent midwives to join their long standing practice.

Wouldn't a higher birth rate suggest that mums are giving birth to a higher number of kids, ie 2-3-4 etc, rather than 1-2, so more likely to be in the 20 - early 30 year old range, so less predisposed to pregnancy/delivery problems? And also predisposing them to faster deliveries? Just a thought...

Good luck with the interviews. :thumbup:

Tapuhi May 25th 2008 7:59 am

Not the highest birth rate but the highest rate of vaginal births-normal!! Their CS rate is 15%.

Anyway good luck for Wednesday.

LotusEater May 25th 2008 8:17 am

Ah, now, I get you, I thought you meant highest number of birth, if they have a 15% c-section rate, then that is fantastic.

P.S. when are you moving to NZ next year?

Tapuhi May 26th 2008 12:04 am

Hi Lotus Eater

We are planning end feb next year. That will allow us time to get EOA/ITA done and registration and oh course to inform our family of our decision to leave UK.

We are very excited and although it is 9 months away there is so much to do. When did you plan to go out?

Tapuhi

LotusEater May 26th 2008 5:14 am

Well, we toyed with the idea a few years ago, but shelved it cost the idea freaked me out a little, and what with a small baby then, it was too daunting. We decided this time around April this year, and I just started emailing various DHBs and then sending them my CVs, and the invitations to interviews arrived within a week. I have that interview with Middlemore on Wednesday but Blenheim is saying that they are keen to interview me too, but they would like me to get my reg first and also, the position I will be interviewed for is not yet available, they reckon it will be November time that they can interview me.

It's very motivating to know that you have already got a job offer and they are willing to hold on to it til you get there next year.

Tapuhi May 26th 2008 8:46 pm

This has been on the cards for the last 5-6 years even before I had started my midwifery training. Its the better way of life we are after for the children. Infact, I have been communicating with Middlemore/North Shore DHBs for the last 3 1/2 years.

I had a job offer last year in Brisbane, digressed abit from NZ, then due to a family illness was unable to take up the position. At the time we were all very disappointed but now we are pleased that we didn't go and feel that NZ is where we really want to settle.

Like you I was surprised at how quick other DHBs have been to get in touch and arrange interviews. I have an interview in London in a couple of weeks with Bay Of Plenty DHB, got to keep the options open. It's not just the UK who is having recruitment problems.

If Blenhiem is where you are interested in going then you've waited this long so what's a few more months!! But if you are like me you just want to get over there now.

Best thing you can do is get all the fiddley paperwork out of the way now possibly even get your EOI in, if you can pull together enough points to be selected without a job offer. At the least start the registration process. I'm ploughing through the self competence doc at the mo, it is painful and repetetive and to be honest don't know if I'm actually doing it right!! Nevermind I'm sure they will let me know if I haven't completed it properly!!

Any way Good Luck for tomorrow, let me know how you got on.:thumbsup:

Tapuhi

LotusEater May 27th 2008 4:20 am

Oh dear, yes, the self assessment form is a minefield!!! Someone I know wrote 7000 words for it, and I was going ooo dear and wondering if I am writing too little? I spoke to someone who has done and this is how she said she completed hers, if you are interested.

QUOTE:I literally answered each question by putting a short example of care provided and a reference in the documentary evidence for example:

The midwife:

1.1 centres the woman as the focus of care;

1.2 promotes and provides or supports continuity of midwifery care;

Describe and provide examples of how your pre-registration qualifications and/or post-registration work experience, ongoing training and/or professional development will equip you to meet criteria 1.1 and 1.2.

1.1 short example of how your care was focused on woman ie meeting individual needs and if you use any research in answer then I needed to back up what I said with evidence, I would put reference in the specify documentary evidence section below

1.2 this is how I provided continuity of care and short example

Specify the documentary evidence you have supplied in support of your self-assessment.

Reference

So literally, this was what woman needed, this is what I did and research states... so this is why I did it. A good one was for perineal repair, so gave a brief overview of what had happened to the woman and that she needed suturing, short description on suturing technique and then referenced Chris Kettle in supply documentary evidence.
END OF QUOTE

Tapuhi May 27th 2008 6:47 am

Fantastic!

I could give you a big kiss!! (hyperthetical of course!!)

I have tried to communicate with other people who have completed it but it has been like trying to get blood out of a stone only worse!!! :curse: I don't know why, we should all be trying to help each other.

Thanks again, if i can help you or you have any questions feel free to PM me. :)

Tapuhi

LotusEater May 28th 2008 6:22 am

Dear Tapuhi

I don't know how far you have got with your self assessment but I had my interview with CMDHB today and she advised me against writing reams and reams - she said bullet points would be acceptable.

I walked away with a conditional offer today - who knows, we might be seeing each other sometime next year :)