Mid-winter xmas

Old Jul 10th 2011, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

JenR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mid-winter xmas

So I've decided that winter without xmas is just too depressing and we're having my colleagues over at the weekend so they can experience a 'proper' xmas lunch

I'm thinking turkey (if we can find one), roast potatoes/carrots/parsnips, brussel sprouts, stuffing, pigs in blankets, xmas pud, then mince pies, cheese and crackers, nuts etc later. But have I missed anything?!

Hoping to find The Snowman somewhere on youtube, maybe rent Elf, get the xmas tunes on... (can you tell I LOVE christmas?!)

Jen x
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mid-winter xmas

Sounds fab ! We went to a midwinter Christmas dinner at our local pub in Wanganui. It was a nice meal and we had crackers to pull. They hadn't gone the whole hog (apart from the hot roast ham - not turkey but hey, a roast nevertheless) no decorated tree, no carols playing softly in the background, no mince pies with the coffee but good overall. The Irish band played, 'Fairytale of New York' as part of their set so that just had to do ! Hope it's as great as you've planned it to be.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:58 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenR
So I've decided that winter without xmas is just too depressing and we're having my colleagues over at the weekend so they can experience a 'proper' xmas lunch

I'm thinking turkey (if we can find one), roast potatoes/carrots/parsnips, brussel sprouts, stuffing, pigs in blankets, xmas pud, then mince pies, cheese and crackers, nuts etc later. But have I missed anything?!

Hoping to find The Snowman somewhere on youtube, maybe rent Elf, get the xmas tunes on... (can you tell I LOVE christmas?!)

Jen x
It's Christmas in Eastenders on uktv at the moment nothing feels more christmassy as the depressing story lines at Christmas
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:59 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Jen x
It's Christmas in Eastenders on uktv at the moment nothing feels more christmassy as the depressing story lines as Christmas in the square
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Morecambe and Wise...Slade.....
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

Cranberry sauce and an invite
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:55 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

We turned our "round the house" lights on last weekend. Bob next door was having a MWC. Seeing as we were staggering in later in the night, seemed the least we could do.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:57 am
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

What a wonderful idea. Happy Mid winter christmas of course you have to have a log fire as well with chestnuts and a tin of roses. Oh and eggnog or mulled wine mmmmmm I'm dreaming already.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

I've added cranberry sauce, mulled wine and chestnuts to the shopping list!

Couldn't find any mincemeat in New World Has anyone ever made their own? (not sure I can be bothered!) And the turkeys were SO expensive...think it might be chicken! x
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

Jen x
We put up the fairy lights as soon as it started to get dark at home time

We (expat friends and I) decided that it was the reason so many people end up on a downer during the winter. At home we have Christmas as a distraction when the weather is bad. We had a celebration roast a month ago - though we haven't done decs or prezzies
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Jen x
You got me a goin’ … wifes working late, I’m cooking diner thought I would surprise her with a mini-xmas feast…. Sat down three hours ago to plan it… opened a bottle of wine… things always look easier after a drink……… still sitting down…. bottle empty…. now on the sherry…….. feeling very full of xmas spirit now…. Hope shes okay with a ham sandwich and a plate of chips………………………. Might not manage to cook the chips … hot fat… dangerous….. I’ll have to see how the sherry goes……………… going quite well actually so far… gonna go now, skreen getting blury… neeed more shery
Thanks JenR…. Owe you one.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yay bring it on, I so prefer our mid-winter Christmas to the December thing but I doubt you'll find many places selling turkeys. If they are you'll need a second mortgage to pay for it. Sometimes Pak n Save get their act together and drag out some frozen ones about now. Also at this time of the year you can usually get Xmas decos and crackers at the Warehouse, although I've not actually seen any thus far; that's probably cos I haven't looked

I would have some mulled wine on the go, some sherry with the mince pies and port with the cheese. Hic....!!

Happy mid-winter festival!!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Mincemeat is a funny thing here because they don't have the suet. Maybe try your luck in an English shop or do something like eccles cakes with dried cranberries, apple and spiced / alcohol infused fruit mixture for the filling.

Gosh, now I am dreaming of a white Christmas....
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Hic.......... seriously... Hic........... my birthday tomorrow too (shameless plug I know)..... just easing my way in........
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin
Hic.......... seriously... Hic........... my birthday tomorrow too (shameless plug I know)..... just easing my way in........
haha glad I've inspired your evenings activities!

So what's everyone's favourite christmas film? personally I'm quite partial to 'Miracle on 34th st' but my husband def won't let me get that out, far too cheesy! x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.