Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

From Melbourne to Auckland questions

Wikiposts

From Melbourne to Auckland questions

Old Oct 20th 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default From Melbourne to Auckland questions

It is looking likely that we will be moving to Auckland for work purposes. Really sad to be leaving Melbourne but hey ho onwards and upwards - and it's only 3 hours over the ditch!!

I am suspecting that we will get a relocation allowance for us to sort ourselves out so we will need to negotiate on this to cover all expenses.

The ones that spring to mind are:

Can anyone recommend a removalist and a a ball park figure of associated costs. I prefer to go on word of mouth then just pick someone from the internet. We don't have a lot of furniture (minimalists is our name!!) so a 20 cubic container should do.

Been quoted just over $3k for the two dogs including crates - good price? This is with Jet Pets who have been recommended to me

Is it worth bringing the car? I have a two year old civic and only done about 12k on the clock - husband is going to sell his as it is 5 years old.

Anything else that you can think of would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Melbourne to Auckland questions

Originally Posted by Hebe
It is looking likely that we will be moving to Auckland for work purposes. Really sad to be leaving Melbourne but hey ho onwards and upwards - and it's only 3 hours over the ditch!!

I am suspecting that we will get a relocation allowance for us to sort ourselves out so we will need to negotiate on this to cover all expenses.

The ones that spring to mind are:

Can anyone recommend a removalist and a a ball park figure of associated costs. I prefer to go on word of mouth then just pick someone from the internet. We don't have a lot of furniture (minimalists is our name!!) so a 20 cubic container should do.

Been quoted just over $3k for the two dogs including crates - good price? This is with Jet Pets who have been recommended to me

Is it worth bringing the car? I have a two year old civic and only done about 12k on the clock - husband is going to sell his as it is 5 years old.

Cheers
I would suggest checking local prices of similar car and work back the cost of shipping and loss on selling in Melbourne.

Its more likely to be a yes considering the lower import protectionism of NZ compared to Oz.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you can negotiate, some relocation deals will pay for cars. A colleague moved from Melbourne to Brisbane and that was about $12,000 including the car. Would imagine Auckland similar cost.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 5:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not Australian citizens, you need to have a plan regarding visas.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are not Australian citizens, you need to have a plan regarding visas.
We are Australians so no problems I can see there
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We are Australians so no problems I can see there
Australian citizenship = no problem (normally, barring special cases like those with record of police/criminal issues). You'll be eligible for New Zealand citizenship after 5 years residence, and it would normally be recommended to take out NZ citizenship at that point.

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 27th 2013 at 9:12 am.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Well the deal is done and hubbie comes out to Auckland a soon as next week as there is a major board meeting they want him to attend. I think he is then out the following week overnight for another meeting and then starts proper beginning of December.

I'm going to follow some time in February as we have lots to wrap up here with our house to sell or rent, our holiday to Thailand and guests from the UK.

Now need to start making lists and getting quotes so any recommendations on companies from Melbourne would be great
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

All the best for this move Hebe. Feb is a great month . At least down here at the Top of the South Island it is. You will be in good time for the ski season.
From what you write , it should all work out just fine for you and yours.

....oh ! - and get yourself a blummin' avatar !