Medicals

Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:02 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Medicals

Hello all

I hope someone can give me some advice or at least let me know what to expect. My husband and children are all Kiwis, despite this, I need to have a medical and chest ray and all the usual nonsense associated with immigrating to NZ. Firstly, how bloody expensive!! Cheapest quote so far, £215! Anyway, I read through the forms and the sort of things I'm going to be asked and checked for. As far as I know, I'm not dying, I'm not mental and fingers crossed having stopped smoking 4 years ago, my lungs should be pretty healthy. I'm still anxious though, what things do you think are more important to them? I had a baby a few weeks ago, so the body isn't quite as it should be! :scared:

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Nikki x
Old Dec 6th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals

It takes about an hour (for two) and most of that we found was hanging around for the x-ray. You just take your top off, put a hospital gown on and stand in front of the plate. Bingo x-ray done.
The doctor then goes through the medical questionnaire. They then calculate body mass index i.e take your height and weight. Get you to read an eye chart, look in your eyes, Test your reflexes -patella hammer on knees and elbows, tickle your feet, take your blood pressure, press on your tummy, stick your tongue out and cough. Take some blood and wee in a pot.

We both got very anxious about it, but it isn't worth it. Its a doodle if you are heathly.

We went to the Cromwell Hospital about a week ago now. But beware they will tell you that it costs £160 (for the x-ray and examination), then they kindly tell you that it is another £140 for the blood tests. They would not tell me the costs prior to attending so there was no choice but to pay up. Also note they only take cash or a cheque, luckily they had a cash machine in the front entrance.

We should get the results back on Monday evening. I suppose that is not a bad turnaround. But I have to say the service was OK but nothing to write home about.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 6:11 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nero
It takes about an hour (for two) and most of that we found was hanging around for the x-ray. You just take your top off, put a hospital gown on and stand in front of the plate. Bingo x-ray done.
The doctor then goes through the medical questionnaire. They then calculate body mass index i.e take your height and weight. Get you to read an eye chart, look in your eyes, Test your reflexes -patella hammer on knees and elbows, tickle your feet, take your blood pressure, press on your tummy, stick your tongue out and cough. Take some blood and wee in a pot.

We both got very anxious about it, but it isn't worth it. Its a doodle if you are heathly.

We went to the Cromwell Hospital about a week ago now. But beware they will tell you that it costs £160 (for the x-ray and examination), then they kindly tell you that it is another £140 for the blood tests. They would not tell me the costs prior to attending so there was no choice but to pay up. Also note they only take cash or a cheque, luckily they had a cash machine in the front entrance.

We should get the results back on Monday evening. I suppose that is not a bad turnaround. But I have to say the service was OK but nothing to write home about.
I'm bit scared about the bit where you say they check your BMI...I've lost quite a bit of weight in last couple of years but still my BMI's not in the healthy zone of 25 or below.

therefore does anyone know how hot they are on BMI...i'm very healthy otherwise.

thanks Mandie
Old Dec 6th 2006, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Hello all

I hope someone can give me some advice or at least let me know what to expect. My husband and children are all Kiwis, despite this, I need to have a medical and chest ray and all the usual nonsense associated with immigrating to NZ. Firstly, how bloody expensive!! Cheapest quote so far, £215! Anyway, I read through the forms and the sort of things I'm going to be asked and checked for. As far as I know, I'm not dying, I'm not mental and fingers crossed having stopped smoking 4 years ago, my lungs should be pretty healthy. I'm still anxious though, what things do you think are more important to them? I had a baby a few weeks ago, so the body isn't quite as it should be! :scared:

Nikki x
Our Medicals end of last year cost £780.00 for 3 medicals and 3 x rays (all adults). It's a general medical, with blood taken for 10 tests (that's why it's so expensive). Don't be too woried about BMI, you get to do another blood test for fasting lipids (mine was high and I did it).
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all

ooo, thats all a bit scary, do they take eating too much while pregnant and too damn tired to diet (3 children under 5!!) as an excuse for a high BMI??? best stop the chocolate with everything diet
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:05 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all

Nikki x
Hi Nikki,

Snap!!! I married a Kiwi - they come in handy don't they?!

My 4 kids just got their NZ passports through. I had to have the medical and xray and bloods - thank God not for all 6 of us! Where are you living now?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Hello all

Nikki x
also married a kiwi...my medical cost me 180 pounds last aug 2005...I am overweight to and they didnt seem really bothered by that, I dont smoke

I think they have changed the medical since I did mine as mine was simple, i did have to have the xrays, urine sample and blood tests done though
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by kwprwn
also married a kiwi...my medical cost me 180 pounds last aug 2005...I am overweight to and they didnt seem really bothered by that, I dont smoke

I think they have changed the medical since I did mine as mine was simple, i did have to have the xrays, urine sample and blood tests done though
And nobody tickled my feet?!

The NZ medical approved doc in Devon is a Kiwi who comes over for 4 months in their Winter and the rest of the year lives in Lake Taupo - he's got it sussed!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
And nobody tickled my feet?!

The NZ medical approved doc in Devon is a Kiwi who comes over for 4 months in their Winter and the rest of the year lives in Lake Taupo - he's got it sussed!
tickled feet did I miss something!!! he most definitely has that sussed, thats the life
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by kwprwn
tickled feet did I miss something!!! he most definitely has that sussed, thats the life
And I'm sure I could do his job, waist measurements, pee in a bottle (patient, not me,) hit knees with little toffee hammer, "tickle feet" as someone had to endure, make them read an eye chart, prod tummy, chat about how great NZ is and then sign couple of pages of form?! Shall re-invent self as a doctor in NZ?! Be afraid, be very afriad!!!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:14 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Medicals

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Nikki,

Snap!!! I married a Kiwi - they come in handy don't they?!

My 4 kids just got their NZ passports through. I had to have the medical and xray and bloods - thank God not for all 6 of us! Where are you living now?
Hello!

Its so FRUSTRATING, my two kids have their passports and my husband LOVES going on about how they can live in NZ or Aussie and I have to go through the damn immigration process! Having kids and a kiwi husband doesn't seem to mean anything, I need to supply all this 'proof' that we're in the stable relationship. What SANE woman marries a Kiwi and has TWO kids or more to get a visa??!! I love NZ, but I just don't love it THAT much! I'm relatively healthy (I'll have to lie about my alcohol in take of course!!), but I only just had baby number 2, so I'm really anxious about the whole BMI thing, I want the Doc to note that I am losing my baby weight (he should have seen me when I was pregnant!). I'm in Bucks by the way! You?
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:16 am
Sweeeeet!

Wink Re: Medicals

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
I'm bit scared about the bit where you say they check your BMI...I've lost quite a bit of weight in last couple of years but still my BMI's not in the healthy zone of 25 or below.

therefore does anyone know how hot they are on BMI...i'm very healthy otherwise.

thanks Mandie
If you find an answer to this, please let me know! I'm carrying a fair bit of baby weight! (its all baby you know, not chocolate or anything!! Ha ha )
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mandie.H

thanks Mandie
Hi Mandie, I don't recall any BMI test being done but that was at the beginning of the year and being me, it don't take much to forget. What i do remember is that if your waist is over so many cm's (sorry cant remember exact no, think it could be 108cm's for girlie's) you need extra blood tests. These are fasting blood sugars and lipids i think. Hope this is of help.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:18 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go already fasted aswell - that way you dont have to go back and pay for extra bloods.

I starved myself from 1730 the previous day for a 1600 appointment. Sips of water (dont go overboard), no tea/coffee or food. Make sure someone else drives.

take lots of snacks and book a takeaway for after the medicals!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:03 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dreamfish
I would go already fasted aswell - that way you dont have to go back and pay for extra bloods.

I starved myself from 1730 the previous day for a 1600 appointment. Sips of water (dont go overboard), no tea/coffee or food. Make sure someone else drives.

take lots of snacks and book a takeaway for after the medicals!
Thats about the way we're going to play it next week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.