Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is it mean't to feel like this?

is it mean't to feel like this?

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all
Default Re: is it mean't to feel like this?

thank you everyone for your support It has really helped me realise i am just human afterall
I got home last night went to the beach with the dog saw a cruise ship out at sea and thought........................ wow people pay loads to cruise past my house
then took the girls home and they were in the bath, i could hear them singing and so i popped my head around and they were singing the NZ national anthem
they then asked me if the UK had one and what is was like............... says alot i think
thanks again
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:04 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it odd that many companies connected with emmigration (airlines, removal companies, and to an extent NZIS) forget about the emotional aspect of the customers.

hmmm business idea....an international removal company with a heart!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Isn't it odd that many companies connected with emmigration (airlines, removal companies, and to an extent NZIS) forget about the emotional aspect of the customers.

hmmm business idea....an international removal company with a heart!
Completely agree with you on that one
Its all about the ££££££££££`s for them.

Last edited by RobDon; Jun 3rd 2010 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:52 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobDon
Its all about the ££££££££££`s for them.
My point is that taking some time and care to consider their customers emotions would actually cost them very little and generate loads of repeat and referal business. Of course cost is an issue when thinking about emigration but for many of us the thought that someone is going to take care of you and your worldly goods during a very stressfull time is worth a price margin.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that taking some time and care to consider their customers emotions would actually cost them very little and generate loads of repeat and referal business. Of course cost is an issue when thinking about emigration but for many of us the thought that someone is going to take care of you and your worldly goods during a very stressfull time is worth a price margin.
Agree with you
I meant they go all out to secure your business, dropping prices to compete with other quotes etc.... so in that respect the ££`s come 1st.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

I went with them for that as they told me i would be assigned a worker, who would be in full contact, i could track my ship also great i thought failed to tell me oh by the way it may not set off for a few weeks/months
I agree good job i havent changed my mind and chosen to go back i would neve get my bloody settee so half a containter and 2300 pounds later i have recieved confirmation this am from the Uk informing me that it has set sail - roll on christmas
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by forshy
I went with them for that as they told me i would be assigned a worker, who would be in full contact, i could track my ship also great i thought failed to tell me oh by the way it may not set off for a few weeks/months
I agree good job i havent changed my mind and chosen to go back i would neve get my bloody settee so half a containter and 2300 pounds later i have recieved confirmation this am from the Uk informing me that it has set sail - roll on christmas
for no more delays for you.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:29 am
Cow on the Beach

Ah yes.....your old setee will seem like new when you get it!
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Ah yes.....your old setee will seem like new when you get it!

better than the two seater bed setee - kindly borrowed off a fello ex pat, it sits me, hubby two kids and a slobbering dalmatians - we really do look like the simpsons
Old Jun 5th 2010, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Hi

I just want to say I felt exactly the same. About 8 weeks after we arrived (end of Jan) I had a big wobble. My youngest daughter had settled in at school, eldest daughter and her boyfriend off at work/college, and I remember going into Milford, doing some food shopping and having a coffee, looking around thinking that I didnt know anyone, and couldnt ring anybody or drop round to anyones house. I was practically crying into my coffee, and found I was sad at random times, in the car, listening to a certin song, or seeing something on tv to remind me of home. It has got easier, but there are still times when I really miss my friends and family. I think it is hard with winter setting in as our rental is cold and damo, and I have left a lovely warm insulated house in UK! The thing that has helped most is making a few friends. I have met some from this site, who live locally which is fab. So if you fancy meeting up, I know exactly what you are going through, I am just in Castor Bay.

Best wishes, Lindsay
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:07 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by forshy
HI eveyone,

I moved to NZ on the 1st April 2010 me, my hubby, two little girls and the following day our dalmatian flew out so far so good at that point!
Pickfords had packed up the house the week before and we were sharing a container so therefore told we would be looking at 11-15 weeks ( informed that this was a conservative estimate and should be sooner), great we thought!

So we arrived, we live in torbay (North shore) in a beautiful rental which allowed our pooch with long bay beach 5 mins walk away beautiful! The girls started school and love it! husband and dog living the dream!

I get to the big however! i dont want to sound like a whinging pom but i feel really sad, I am missing friends and family and despite this idilic lifestyle i feel really down. I have no desire to get a plane back to the UK at all and seeing my girls truely feel at home is wonderful.

I work out west so travel is not easy although i am sometimes based up north which helps. Hubby not got a job yet, and then to top it off found out that our stuff only left the UK on the 25th may!!!!!! and is changing ships during the journey! thanks pickfords UK for not telling me anything but Pickfords NZ told me the day it left - yep 9 weeks after it was packed away!

I guess this is a major part of feeling sad as i have not got my things, kids have not got all their toys, we have no computer etc have to go to the library! we have spent so much on getting things so we can at least be comfortable and lots of expats have borrowed us some things, but my house does not feel like home despite sea views etc

I have heard people say the first 6 months are not easy and certainly i am feeling that at the moment. I try and look on the bright side and think the family are happy, i have a good job, but i still have this saddness within me

anyone experienced similar or do i need to just get a grip?
Forshy
I think i know just what you are going through.
But everyone deals with it in there own way.
We have been here just over 8 months now and for the first 6 months it was like pulling teeth.
I could find no work and the OH was struggling with hers.
We didn't bring any furniture ( our choice)
and our money way going fast.
I gave a good job up in the UK and was very close to going back there .
Now!!!
We have settled a lot more I have work and my OH has settled into her job
It does take a lot to settle here and there are lots of ups and downs.
I am sure there is a big DOWN waiting for me just around the corner.
But it has got better for us with time and i am sure it will for you.
good luck and keep smiling.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

76marmite is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry you're missing home so much, it is tough at first but we made the mistake (my call) to move back to the UK 2007 after 2 yrs in NZ, we are now moving back as I realised my emotions were up the wall and I wasn't thinking straight. The first time I went to NZ was the time I moved there, I had no idea what to expect and felt ripped off after living in London, I was spoiled. Now I am back in the UK I realise the things I craved didn't really matter (who cares if there's no Ikea??). It is a way of life and a cultural difference to be embraced. Friends are the be all and end all I think. I stayed home with my new born, our car broke and meeting people seemed impossible. I ended up on the internet to friends back in the UK which was not the best investment of my time. Support around you will make you enjoy things more but you are completely normal! Find something every day to be grateful for and you'll gain perspective! All the best.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I know it can be really difficult when you first arrive and things seem frustrating and different to what you're used to. But, you are in a beautiful area and public transport is good there. Why don't you get on some of the buses and explore the different areas nearby? Go into Takapuna which is a lovely area and has great facilities and cafes where you can relax and get to know the place. There are many groups on the North Shore and Takapuna library is a good starting point. There is also an information booth on the main street where you can get loads of free information about the area. Sometimes it's better to let your furniture go about five to six weeks before you go and the you get in quicker at theother end. We tend to do this. There's also a small market there on Sundays and some good pubs down towards Devonport. I'm sure you'll soon feel at home.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by whitesand
I know it can be really difficult when you first arrive and things seem frustrating and different to what you're used to. But, you are in a beautiful area and public transport is good there. Why don't you get on some of the buses and explore the different areas nearby? Go into Takapuna which is a lovely area and has great facilities and cafes where you can relax and get to know the place. There are many groups on the North Shore and Takapuna library is a good starting point. There is also an information booth on the main street where you can get loads of free information about the area. Sometimes it's better to let your furniture go about five to six weeks before you go and the you get in quicker at theother end. We tend to do this. There's also a small market there on Sundays and some good pubs down towards Devonport. I'm sure you'll soon feel at home.
HI,
your right we have explored all of the above, however i started work 40 hours per week ( out west) in week 3 of being here and with the dark nights dont get to do quite as much as i would like but we do try all the above at the weekends