Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Massive quake hits Southern NZ

Massive quake hits Southern NZ

Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Massive quake hits Southern NZ

http://tv3.co.nz/News/NationalNews/t...rticleID=35838

Check this out. Earthquake today in NZ - south of the southern tip, 7.3 - 7.4 with tsunami warnings.

Did anyone feel it in the deep south!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:09 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Massive quake hits Southern NZ

Originally Posted by Boopy
http://tv3.co.nz/News/NationalNews/t...rticleID=35838

Check this out. Earthquake today in NZ - south of the southern tip, 7.3 - 7.4 with tsunami warnings.

Did anyone feel it in the deep south!

Lots of people apparently
http://magma.geonet.org.nz/maps/app?...s&sp=S2801125g
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:03 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

It's nice of you to get them out of the way before I arrive
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

The epicentre was not on the South Island, but on a distant, NZ administered, island nearly 500 km south of South island, but 7.3 is very big !
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
The epicentre was not on the South Island, but on a distant, NZ administered, island nearly 500 km south of South island, but 7.3 is very big !
hi jacky g here......nobody told me about earthquakes before we came over....kids came back from school first week and said they had a fire drill and earthquake drill,then 6 year old proceeded to get under the living room table and hold on to the leg....and said this is what you have to do in an earthquake

well you can imagine my facefreaks you out thinking about it,but happens back home now..but 7.3 no thanks
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
It's nice of you to get them out of the way before I arrive
Ned, The Bay of Plenty get them most days. Not here in Welly - we're just waiting for the big one!
Welly peeps don't seem bothered at all. When we have them, they just look at each other and carry on with work as if nothing has happened - they are so used to them here.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Ned, The Bay of Plenty get them most days. Not here in Welly - we're just waiting for the big one!
Welly peeps don't seem bothered at all. When we have them, they just look at each other and carry on with work as if nothing has happened - they are so used to them here.

garry said he would like to experience an earthquake to see whats its like...the mans a freak
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:23 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
garry said he would like to experience an earthquake to see whats its like...the mans a freak
Yep!

Depends on the size, location and depth. I've experienced a few here in Illinois, just tiny ones.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout

Me thinks the thread title is a touch over dramatic......

It was 440km's south west of invercargill apparently.

When i first read the post title i got worried that the South island had been badly affected with damage, casualties etc etc.

Fingers crossed a 7.4 or higher does not epicenter in the South island because there will be more than the 'gentle rocking motion for 6 seconds' described by the Herald i'd imagine........
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:53 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

He probably won't like it. I've experienced a couple of 5.5's in Japan and I can't say they were much fun.

It's all very well doing 'earthquake drills' but if people don't have any experience of an earthquake then they are more than likely to just stand around in a state of shock/bewilderment when a big one hits. By the time people have stopped saying 'What's that? Is it an earthquake?' The roof has already started to cave in

Then again...with 99% of NZ houses made out of planks, I suppose the death toll will be quite low if a big one hits...

Last edited by Avid; Sep 30th 2007 at 11:58 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Avid
He probably won't like it. I've experienced a couple of 5.5's in Japan and I can't say they were much fun.

It's all very well doing 'earthquake drills' but if people don't have any experience of an earthquake then they are more than likely to just stand around in a state of shock/bewilderment when a big one hits. By the time people have stopped saying 'What's that? Is it an earthquake?' The roof has already started to cave in!
wow you should have been a therapistthats eased my mind so much
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

He sounds like my son, he keeps missing them, usually out on the beer when we have them. In Taupo there's a Volcano Activity Centre, they have an earthquake simulator in there. I'm sure it was only 6.5 and that was really bumpy.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

He sounds like my son, he keeps missing them, usually out on the beer when we have them. In Taupo there's a Volcano Activity Centre, they have an earthquake simulator in there. I'm sure it was only 6.5 and that was really bumpy.
we went on an earthquake simulator at motat,aparantly it was similiar to the one that hit hawkes bay years ago.....i think it was a big quake.....would be quite scary if you were in the house......jacky....actually it would be quite scary if you were anywhere
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:16 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Missed it again - Mrs S was really worried by earthquakes before coming to NZ. So far she has slept through about four of them.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

we went on an earthquake simulator at motat,aparantly it was similiar to the one that hit hawkes bay years ago.....i think it was a big quake.....would be quite scary if you were in the house......jacky....actually it would be quite scary if you were anywhere
We had one last year 5.2, it happened just after midnight I'd just gone to sleep & was woken by a clattering noise. It was real spooky, worse still we have a waterbed, & it seemed to take ages for it to settle down - just as well we don't get sea sick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.