Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Marriage certs. Foriegn

Marriage certs. Foriegn

Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:23 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marriage certs. Foriegn

We got married in Mexico so we have a Spanish language marriage certificate.

Do we need an English translation and if so does it have to be certified and by who for immigration purposes?

Cheers in advance
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

brandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant future
Default Re: Marriage certs. Foriegn

4000+ posts, my god, does your boss know what you do all day!

We got married in Italy, Italian language marriage cert. I wasnt sure either, but we just submitted a certified copy of the Italian cert (we sent all our docs as certified copies, by a magistrate) and they havn't said anything about it. We are using an agent and he seemed to think it would be fine as well. So i reckon you are in the clear with a Spanish one.
Cheers,
Neil.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

hi Jack

Yes you do have to have an English translation. We were going to marry in Dominican Republic but didn't want the hassles (and cost) of messing about when we got home so we married in Jamaica instead. I much preferred Jamaica anyway!

A solicitor can sort this out for you, least they could when we married 6 years ago!

HTH

Michelle & Carl
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:30 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
HTH
HTH?

I know it must be obvious but would you please mind enlightening me as to its meaning?

Thanking you very kindly in advance of your help.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, sorry!

HTH- Hope This Helps

Michelle
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:31 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

i do recall reading somewhere that any paperwork written in anything other than english must be translated.

are there panel translators?? knowing NZIS there probably is!! I think the translator must be an official body and not your mate from the pub, or Babelfish
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will need a certified translator to translate your mariage cert, Jack. I have two birth certs, one French, one English (and dated 18 months apart!) and i'm always having to get my French one translated - even though I have had it translated in the past, officialdom always wants it done again so it is ''current'.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:25 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brandn
4000+ posts, my god, does your boss know what you do all day!
I am the boss
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:26 pm
Banned

Thanks guys

Thought as much. I will now have to try and sort out a translator.

Where to begin?

I know the internet
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:29 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Babble fish?
For starters anyways
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

No, don´t use Babelfish! As someone who speaks another language fluently (Spanish) and has used it for a laugh to see what comes up, I can tell you that you would get more sense out of a 2 yr old!

Because an online translation will have to take each word individually and translate it in it´s widest given meaning and that may not fit in with the whole meaning of the sentence. Eg. From Spanish to English you can say "don´t play that flute in here" and it will come back as "don´t play (as in play with a toy) that flute in here" as we use the same word for both meanings, but if you do the same sentence from English to Spanish, because they use the word "tocar" to mean to touch and to play (an instrument) you have the same ridiculous translation the other way around. And that is just one word! Imagine doing a text from one language to another with many words which have dual meanings!

For individual words you are better off with the dictionary, otherwise I would use a translator!

Just trying to help!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Danemad
Just trying to help!
And its appreciated

I will defo be using a certified lunatic. Sorry, translator

I have just done a very quick browse and its about £90 per 1000 words. So I reckon in the region of £180 for the two documents we have.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

A girl we sometimes use for written translations might be cheaper than that if it helps... she is called Maria Lopez and here is her email ([email protected]) you can tell her Melanie referred you if you like.

She is fluent in English and Spanish and does legal translations so if you ask her I´m sure she will confirm that any translation done by her can be used for such purposes. Cos she is Spanish she won´t be used to getting that much money, I´m sure. If I remember rightly she charges 11c per word.. but you can contact her if you want.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Danemad
Hi,

A girl we sometimes use for written translations might be cheaper than that if it helps... she is called Maria Lopez and here is her email ([email protected]) you can tell her Melanie referred you if you like.

She is fluent in English and Spanish and does legal translations so if you ask her I´m sure she will confirm that any translation done by her can be used for such purposes. Cos she is Spanish she won´t be used to getting that much money, I´m sure. If I remember rightly she charges 11c per word.. but you can contact her if you want.
Thanks for the tip

Im going to look local at first. But if I get no joy then I will give her a yell
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Thanks for the tip

Im going to look local at first. But if I get no joy then I will give her a yell
And if you need someone to proof read it (which you will if a non-native speaker translates it), I'm your girl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.