Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Maori Stories For Where You Live?

Maori Stories For Where You Live?

Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:54 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Maori Stories For Where You Live?

Just an idea - save people trawling the internet. Do you know the Maori tale behind your chosen place's name?

I'll start with Mount Maunganui. I actually live up the road in Papamoa but they don't have a tale involving Fairies for here so I bags this one ...

Mount Maunganui:-

"The mountain

According to legend the mountain once lay inland. Spurned by the beautiful mountain Pūwhenua, it begged the fairy-like creatures of the forest to drag it into the ocean. As they neared the water’s edge dawn broke, and the fairies fled, leaving the mountain caught forever in the light of day. Thereafter it was known as Mauao (Mau –‘caught’, ao – ‘light of day’). Later it was renamed Maunganui in memory of a similar mountain in Hawaiki, the Polynesian homeland of the Māori."

Extract taken from www.teara.govt.nz

I can't actually find a translation for Papamoa itself, maybe there isn't one?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maori Stories For Where You Live?

I have the dictionary of place names if anyone is curious about a name.

Papa = flat land Moa = raised beds

So level land with raised plots for cultivation.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I like the flowery fairy stories attached to lots of the names, really they are quite simple statements usually descriptions of something on the landscape to do with size or stature. Long, wide, short, big or small.

Maunga = Mountain Nui = Big
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Whilst I like the flowery fairy stories attached to lots of the names, really they are quite simple statements usually descriptions of something on the landscape to do with size or stature. Long, wide, short, big or small.

Maunga = Mountain Nui = Big
Nope - is all born of Fairies ...
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Story of Te Mata Peak, Near Havelock North, Hawkes Bay.

http://www.maori.org.nz/korero/defau...sp65&parent=63
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Story of Te Mata Peak, Near Havelock North, Hawkes Bay.

http://www.maori.org.nz/korero/defau...sp65&parent=63
Ahhhhhh, it's like Romeo and Juliet all over again.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland
Tēnā koe, e Tāmaki!
Tēnā koe, Tēnā koe:
Tāmaki – makau – rau – e!

Greetings, oh Tāmaki!
Greetings, greetings to thee,
Oh! Tāmaki of numerous lovers.

The Māori name for Auckland is Tāmaki. Among the many versions is Tāmaki-makau-rau (Tāmaki of a hundred lovers), referring to the desirable, fertile site at the hub of a network of waterways, taking travellers north and south, east and west. For centuries different groups flourished, cohabited and displaced each other in turn.

Here are some great links for Orakei where my local Marae is and also some great info on Auckland

http://www.teara.govt.nz/Places/Auckland/Auckland/6/en

http://www.teara.govt.nz/Places/Auck...ndPlaces/13/en
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I like this one because a Maori guy told me the 'real' story of Poneke (Wellington).

Some say its a transliteration of Port Nicholson - Port Nick - becomes Po Neke.

The maori guy told me it means people who move in the night: Po = Night and Neke - Move

Why? Because at a lot of Maraes they have the Powhiri before daylight or at dawn, so if people from Wellington were attending a hui or tangi up North they had to travel a long way to get there before daybreak, hence they had to get up in the middle of the night to travel.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jul 21st 2009 at 9:07 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a book 'Maori Legends' retold by Alistair Campbell, interesting but rather grizzly in places!!
Just thought I'd share...getting my coat now....
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:26 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I have a long and true story not about a place name but about how an ancestor of mine, John Jury, rescued a Maori Princess or ‘Chieftaness’ from the stronghold on Kapiti Island after she was captured by Te Rauparaha, he of the Haka fame.

It’s a LONG story but basically it shows that over 400 acres and an island, of the Wairarapa belong to the Jury family……
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:34 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone from Taranaki here? I love the story of Mt Taranaki so will leave it up to you lot to find it.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Anyone from Taranaki here? I love the story of Mt Taranaki so will leave it up to you lot to find it.
Spoilsport, tell us, tell us!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Spoilsport, tell us, tell us!

http://www.maori.org.nz/korero/defau...sp64&parent=63
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
That would be the completely ludicrous story of the mountain basically arguing with another and running away to taranaki or something along those lines...

quaint story for children that Maori seem to believe.....
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:58 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47
That would be the completely ludicrous story of the mountain basically arguing with another and running away to taranaki or something along those lines...

quaint story for children that Maori seem to believe.....
I heard some ludicrous story about some old guy managing to completely build the whole earth in a few days (in the dark) and apparently lots of Pakeha believe it ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.