Maori Queen dies

Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maori Queen dies

Just to add a bit of NZ news to todays forum:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...314553,00.html

has anyone met or seen this venerable lady since arriving in NZ?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maori Queen dies

Originally Posted by helinuk
Just to add a bit of NZ news to todays forum:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...314553,00.html

has anyone met or seen this venerable lady since arriving in NZ?
Nope but I saw it on tonights news. I was impressed with how well the newscaster said her name... it looks pretty hard to pronounce. I wonder who will take over from her.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
Nope but I saw it on tonights news. I was impressed with how well the newscaster said her name... it looks pretty hard to pronounce. I wonder who will take over from her.
The article says probably one of her sons.
Those Maori names are impossible!
I was only saying to hubby last night that some of the place names in NZ are going to be a real challenge to me to pronounce. I just know I'll make a right fool of myself!

Helen
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I was only saying to hubby last night that some of the place names in NZ are going to be a real challenge to me to pronounce. I just know I'll make a right fool of myself!

Helen
We couldnt even say the names round Auckland when we got here..... the people we stayed with told us how to say some of the names. Thats why we live in Beachlands!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Helen
my pronouncation is really bad, every christmas my mum & dad used to make me read the trivial pursuits cards out , so they could have a laugh at my pronouncation
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:05 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

I must confess after nearly a year of being here, the first time I'd heard of the Maori Queen was posthumously!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biddy
I must confess after nearly a year of being here, the first time I'd heard of the Maori Queen was posthumously!
Same here
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

If you have a local Wananga, they run free Te Reo Maori courses. Interesting and fun. The pronouncation is straightforward once you have it explained. Sort of....
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by poppets
my pronouncation is really bad, every christmas my mum & dad used to make me read the trivial pursuits cards out , so they could have a laugh at my pronouncation

pronunciation . . . yes. Was on holiday the other week, so went in to my youngest's primary school with Nicola - she goes in once a week to help with writing etc.

Anyway the class all started their story writing and I wandered about helping.
Of course they asked how to spell things and I would spell the words out, but whenever I said "a" they would write "e "and if I said "e" they wrote "a "

probably set them all back a few years !

peter