Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

the main reason people leave new zealand is a lack of.......

the main reason people leave new zealand is a lack of.......

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

camelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant future
Default Re: the main reason people leave new zealand is a lack of.......

Originally Posted by mike&chrissy
I can feel a new business venture forming here.....importing the above and many other things that you don't get in N.Z.
Worcestershire sauce. I live not too far from where that's made. Is that available down under?? I would def miss that.

Maybe I should start a business here in the U.K. exporting and bring the business to N.Z with me along with everyones goodies. Not sure how to transport the Ben & Jerrys though. My fave is Phish food. They were buy one get one free in Tesco the other week. YUM
Yeah, you could start an import company but bring that ben and jerry's with you, I wanna try it...(it would travel by special airline freezer freight I suspect, probably USA easier to import from to NZ)

Maybe you could get the b&j franchise for NZ?? (if they do that)

Kiwi's love ice-cream especially cool American brands - but Movenpick (Swiss?) is big over here at the mo, they even got their own huge ice-cream parlour in St Helliers Bay in Auckland, and the que is always out the door, they can't buy enough of the stuff!! (but I don't especially like Movenpick) From what I've heard ben and jerry is better....why don't you approach 'em to bring it down here for us ben and jerry-less unfortunates?

(yes, we already get worcester sauce here)
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

im going to write to the PM of new zealand demanding she ask dubbya Bush to force ben and jerrys to import to NZ, it could replace P as the drug of choice

tip top is ok but its no B&J or haagen Daz,

at the rugby 7s after many pints of speights, (kiwi mates asked why i wasnt drunk??? i thought speights was alcohol free its soo weak) i was hungry for un healthy food so ended up getting a hotdog, bizzare it was like a turd on a stick
the sausage was deep fried, it was nice but bizzare

i love these little differences

went to the irish bar in town today and for 5 pounds had a massive plate of mash potatoe, pork sausages (proper ones) and gravy with onions and peas, would be hard to get that at home so cheap, alcohol is alot cheapr here too which is bizzarre,

anyway things arnt better or worse here, just different, and im enjoying it (for the moment)

only worry is that im off to melbourne in a few weeks for a holiday, scared i might fall in love with the place and not want to come home (wow ii just called NZ home, for the first time)
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:58 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camelot
Kiwi's love ice-cream especially cool American brands - but Movenpick (Swiss?) is big over here at the mo, they even got their own huge ice-cream parlour in St Helliers Bay in Auckland, and the que is always out the door, they can't buy enough of the stuff!! (but I don't especially like Movenpick) From what I've heard ben and jerry is better....why don't you approach 'em to bring it down here for us ben and jerry-less unfortunates?
Firstly Movenpick is Delish stuff. So too are those Copenhagen danish ice creams in the waffle cones that they sell in Copenhagen Cones ice cream parlours (are they still around?)

I suspect that ben and jerry's (never heard of it before) isn't imported or made under licence as it's not considered a reknowned market leader. Also with a population the size of Sydney, if they don't have it in OZ, doubt you will find it in NZ. Economies of scale in marketing/exporting perhaps?

You don't get Ben and Jerry's here in OZ either. But we do have Brit shops that do import things such as Walker Crisps.

The BIG U.S. Ice cream here is Baskins and Robbins and they retail through ice cream parlours and are a very good quality. Do you get Baskins and Robbins in NZ?

Among the best ice cream I have ever had is and Australian product, made in WA. It's top of the range and sells in supermarkets here for around $7 a litre container and is called "Conniseur". Truly brilliant stuff.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Firstly Movenpick is Delish stuff. So too are those Copenhagen danish ice creams in the waffle cones that they sell in Copenhagen Cones ice cream parlours (are they still around?)

I suspect that ben and jerry's (never heard of it before) isn't imported or made under licence as it's not considered a reknowned market leader. Also with a population the size of Sydney, if they don't have it in OZ, doubt you will find it in NZ. Economies of scale in marketing/exporting perhaps?

You don't get Ben and Jerry's here in OZ either. But we do have Brit shops that do import things such as Walker Crisps.

The BIG U.S. Ice cream here is Baskins and Robbins and they retail through ice cream parlours and are a very good quality. Do you get Baskins and Robbins in NZ?

Among the best ice cream I have ever had is and Australian product, made in WA. It's top of the range and sells in supermarkets here for around $7 a litre container and is called "Conniseur". Truly brilliant stuff.
actually come to think of it sod ben and jerrys, roll on gelato from cafe ice on oriental parade,
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:01 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Phish Food ice Cream?

Jesus, that sounds NASTY. Fish food flavour perhaps? or are they just on drugs at Ben & Jerry's? Honestly, it sounds liek somethign you'd buy for the
cat :scared:
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:07 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Phish Food ice Cream?

Jesus, that sounds NASTY. Fish food flavour perhaps? or are they just on drugs at Ben & Jerry's? Honestly, it sounds liek somethign you'd buy for the
cat :scared:
That was what I was thinking!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:11 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I wouldn't leave NZ for anything, I like it here :scared: it beats where I came from but I need more money that's all ... where can I get more money???
British food shops are good here if a bit expensive, and I do still crave mushy peas but last time I ordered a uk food parcel online I didn't like any of it ... my taste buds have obviously changed over time
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:13 am
Banned

[QUOTE=Sugo] i was hungry for un healthy food so ended up getting a hotdog, bizzare it was like a turd on a stick
the sausage was deep fried, it was nice but bizzare

A sausage on a stick,battered and deep fried and then topped with a good tomato sauce has always been a hotdog in NZ (Important the sausage is thick, reasonable length and of good quality). A frankfurter in a steamed or toasted bun was always called an "american hotdog"

Before I left NZ I found that often the best fish n chip shops were owned/run by Chinese/Asian people. They seemed to understand that offering the customer a quality product will lead to repeat sales and good 'word of mouth' advertising. Even their "Burger bars" seemed to be of a better quality than others. This is just a tip on how I found things. Finding a 'chippie' you're happy with is serious work, infact an art/science.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:19 am
sky
Banned

[QUOTE=kiwichild]
Originally Posted by Sugo

A sausage on a stick,battered and deep fried and then topped with a good tomato sauce has always been a hotdog in NZ (Important the sausage is thick, reasonable length and of good quality.
I just can't eat them, they just look obscene to me, I feel all self concious putting one in my mouth :scared:
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
Actually I wouldn't leave NZ for anything, I like it here :scared: it beats where I came from but I need more money that's all ... where can I get more money???
British food shops are good here if a bit expensive, and I do still crave mushy peas but last time I ordered a uk food parcel online I didn't like any of it ... my taste buds have obviously changed over time
Interesting: You can buy mushy peas here in oz, BUT they tend to be sold in particular supermarket chains. I'd recommend trying a few diff supermarkets and asking the store manager if they carry or can get them. Another option might be to briefly blend a can of peas (it might work!)

Hope that helps
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:22 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Out of interest are you eating more fresh fish? rather than battered?

Alot of brits we know cant stand fish - which coming from NZ we found hard to relate too.

To make more money you need to work for yourself or get more than one job.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:24 am
Banned

[QUOTE=sky]

I just can't eat them, they just look obscene to me, I feel all self concious putting one in my mouth :scared:
I grew up with the things but remember you are only meant to take a bite at a time, even if they do look kinda like a phallic symbol

Seriously though, a good one is well worth overcoming the obscenity thing. Just remember: like all fried foods they should be a treat not a regular part of the diet.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by thebears
Alot of brits we know cant stand fish - which coming from NZ we found hard to relate too.
UNBELIEVEABLE!!! UK has such great fish! I love Haddock, Plaice, Cod, Kippers, etc
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:31 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

UNBELIEVEABLE!!! UK has such great fish! I love Haddock, Plaice, Cod, Kippers, etc
I know and with fish champions like Rick Stein why are a majority turning up their noses?

We are relocating to Melbourne armed with his books.

Also I think english underrate their own food - provided its cooked properly and not the gunk served through microwaves in some places.

Best puddings in the world.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Being ripped off by Sky City Orbit restaurant--expensive (OK it revolves) but $21 to park your car while you eat in their restaurant?

Never again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.