MAF

Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:02 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MAF

Originally Posted by louloumama
Hey there - I can let you know all the ins and outs hopefully this time next week
Ours took a week to clear customs and be handed to MAF so start chasing as soon as it docks!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pointer
How stricted are MAF when they inspect your container on arrival?
We bought nothing at all from our garden shed or any wooden ornaments, gave it all away to family. it meant we had to start from scratch when we got here, which was expensive, but from the experiences of both our children with tents etc we felt it wasn't worth the aggravation. The Inspector came out to our house to see 2 boxes, one contained a 'pot' which he thought might be a garden pot but was a large Chinese ginger pot, and tools. he was here 5 minutes and left without comment. The standard cost of the inspection was $250 but better than having your container stripped. I would do the same again although I keep wishing I hadn't had to give so much away, should have sold it on ebay!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There is no standard cost for a MAF inspection. MAF fees are an unknown quantity until it's apparent whether or not a container is to be inspected at all and if inspected what might be looked at, fumigated or disposed of.

What does happen, however, is that if a third party take delivery of a container at the port . For example White Van Lines or The Moving Company, then they will charge out a 'service fee' of $250 or so . You still have to fill out your own MAF declarations and clearance forms . Money for old rope really.

I found out that our container wasn't inspected and so there was no MAF fee , although the 3rd party still tried to charge us a $250 service fee. I obtained a refund. I'd already paid my UK shipper for a door to door service & so I complained to them suggesting that they pick up the tab.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone shipped their goods and declared alcohol in the inventory list?
does this pose customs duties or is it under personal consumption ?

Thanks...
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
There is no standard cost for a MAF inspection. MAF fees are an unknown quantity until it's apparent whether or not a container is to be inspected at all and if inspected what might be looked at, fumigated or disposed of.

What does happen, however, is that if a third party take delivery of a container at the port . For example White Van Lines or The Moving Company, then they will charge out a 'service fee' of $250 or so . You still have to fill out your own MAF declarations and clearance forms . Money for old rope really.

I found out that our container wasn't inspected and so there was no MAF fee , although the 3rd party still tried to charge us a $250 service fee. I obtained a refund. I'd already paid my UK shipper for a door to door service & so I complained to them suggesting that they pick up the tab.
There's a lesson there then. I thought the $250 was a MAF inspection charge. The Moving Company took delivery and we picked up the bill. It's a bit late to claim a refund now 16 months on but useful information for others

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2011 at 3:48 am. Reason: tidy quote
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrbiker
Has anyone shipped their goods and declared alcohol in the inventory list?
does this pose customs duties or is it under personal consumption ?

Thanks...
Duty has already been paid on the booze in the UK? Anyway you can bring in 3 litres of spirits duty free so get some at the airport on your way in.
2 x 1.25 litres of the Famous Grouse for $58.30 if you buy online in advance and have a frequent buyers club card which is free
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Duty has already been paid on the booze in the UK? Anyway you can bring in 3 litres of spirits duty free so get some at the airport on your way in.
2 x 1.25 litres of the Famous Grouse for $58.30 if you buy online in advance and have a frequent buyers club card which is free
There's a little more than 3 litres ...
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Amongst other things we brought a motorbike and some dog beds. Although the container was inspected, I dont' recall being charged. They told me they had burnt the dog bedding, which was really strange as we didn't bring any so I will always wonder what they did burn and they opend the Xmas tree box. They were probably quite surprised to find it was plastic

They are not that detailed, we brought dive gear, motorbike gear, a garden awning, just wash it down, sprinkle some Jeyes, job done.

Jan
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

bop53 is an unknown quantity at this point

They went through my container as well. The only thing confiscated was some of my christmas items, ones with pine cones. That I can understand. But why confiscate a really pretty, brand new, expensive boxed decoration with plastic pine cones? Hubby was there, not me, or questions would have been asked.

I brought shoes, garden stuff, work tools, etc., and they did not even look at those.

But hubby also brought his 1 yr old CRV (they did not have the diesel version here). Despite having it steam cleaned by the company in the UK, they insisted it needed done again. They stripped the whole car, including interior panels, then lost some of the bits putting it back together. They also stripped the nuts on the alloys. Then charged us a fortune for the pleasure.

If I was to emigrate again, I think I would leave most of my stuff behind.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS

OK - quick update - we received our container (wow feels like christmas and birthdays all rolled into one!!!)

We were going to be invoiced from one of the above companies mentioned by BEVS for MAF charges prior to them doing anything ??? We questioned it and argued we would pay MAF direct. So instead of a $450 invoice we paid "the third party" a very small admin charge and MAF about $250 when they come to the house to check said boxes.

The third party company werent particularly happy about it ...... but hey we've not lost any sleep over it !!!