Luggage problem

Old Feb 4th 2014, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Cate135 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Luggage problem

Hi,

Looking for some help, we were advised by the relocation company that we have to take 1x laptop, 1x camera, 2x iPads and documents on flight with us (have done this before so not a problem) but as we were not booking our own tickets we wanted this confirmed by the travel agent in NZ who booked them that this is ok.

Today received email to say that we have 30kg + 7kg hand luggage each, we will need to pay and this came in the attachment from emirates £1000 for additional 10kg so that our equipment can go in as checked luggage.

I replied back by saying that it has to go as hand luggage and was advised that it is not possible and either pay the additional cost or sent the stuff through a local unaccompanied baggage company or leave it all behind.

The iPads and documents don't weigh much but laptop and camera are the main problem surely we are not the only people to fly with this equipment.

We have flown with emirates before when living in Australia and carried the same equipment with out any hassle so not sure why suddenly the huge cost, which we would be better putting towards an upgrade surely.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:05 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Luggage problem

as far as I am aware you can take one carry on bag as well as either a laptop bag or hand bag. carry the camera around your neck.

but just checked Emirates site and it states only one carry on

Economy Class customers are permitted one piece of carry-on baggage that may not exceed 22 x 15 x 8 inches (55 x 38 x 20cm) and must weigh no more than 15lb (7kg).

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...age_rules.aspx

I personally would call emirates direct and not bother with the company that booked it. Get the flight details and speak to the air line direct
Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

nzneville is on a distinguished road

Noting that you say "we", surely you should be able to carry the items you mention in your cabin luggage and stay within the 14 kilos between you. However, you will have to unpack it all to go through the xray scanners at each airport where you stop. You may have to sacrifice other items into your hold luggage but that is a small price to pay to save on extra luggage.
QANTAS charge AUS$80 per kilo between Europe and Ausutralia, and probably the same through to New Zealand. However, you have to pre-book it online. I expect that Emirates charge about the same.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly when you see the baggage some people haul up into overhead lockers, there's no reason why you can't fit this in your hand luggage. I don't see why paperwork/documents would need to be in your hand luggage unless you can't bear to be parted from some things, if so you could perhaps choose to carry the most important stuff and put the rest in your case. I've never known any airline stick to the policy of one bag - ladies at least are usually allowed a hand bag as well as the hand luggage.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we carried our Wii (apart from the balance board) and HDD through in hand luggage. husband got cargo pants with lots of pockets. we all had coats with large pockets. as others say you do need to unpack and pack them at all the airports so in the end it depends on how much hassle you want
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:33 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

"we were advised by the relocation company that we have to take 1x laptop, 1x camera, 2x iPads and documents on flight with us"

First of all, I don't understand why your relocation company has told you that you have GOT to take all that stuff. Are they asking you to carry these items into NZ for them? In which case I would be very careful.

As far as I'm aware, each person can travel with 30kg of checked luggage and 7kg of hand luggage. The hand luggage can consist of anything you want (with the exception of illegal items of course). Personally, I prefer to put my laptop and camera in my hand baggage so that it doesn't get damaged, but that's up to you.

If your checked luggage or hand luggage goes over the allowance, you will have to pay extra for the excess. I believe the going rate for excess baggage is GBP50 per kilo. Its largely a matter of packing your bags so they DON'T go over the allowance.

The best thing to do is to check with the Emirates website at

http://www.emirates.com/nz/english/p...alculator.aspx

Last edited by NakiMan; Feb 5th 2014 at 7:43 am.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Lb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to behold

Flew qantas but hand luggage=
3 laptops
2 iPads 2 wii
3 iPods
2 iPhones and 3 lumina phones
Had to unpack at at every flight change
I was checked and patted down at every stop but all fine
Our hand luggage wasn't weighed but we were 19kg over on checked baggage. They charged us £228 for 10kg and let us off with 9!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the replies, looks like we may just have to pay the excess as we will be over the 14kg combined.

Just annoyed as we were assured that as the removal company wouldn't take it, our flight would be covered for this and was booked for this, obviously this is not the case.

The relocation company said that the camera D7000 + lenses plus laptop are to expensive to take and Emirates advised against any of it going in suitcase for the same reason.

OH has told employer to sort out there end so will need to wait and see, but looks like we will need to adjust our budget.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

nzneville is on a distinguished road

Am surprised that the relocation company will not take your more expensive goods. I am about to move from Wellington to France and have just fixed the move after obtaining three quotes. All three removal companies quoted for insurance on two bases, the first being a declaration of value for each item, and then as a lump sum average. In each case, we could nominate specific items of high value within the insurance package. The only restrictions that are being imposed are for goods that are considered dangerous, ie poisons, inflammables, corrosives and liquids except booze. For entry to New Zealand, foodstuffs would cause some problems but this does not bother us as we are heading the other way.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect the employer to have much sympathy they're already paying shipping, flights and accommodation and now you think it's their problem to pay extra to transport your expensive camera.

Not really a good look for someone starting in a new job I wouldn't have thought.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi, just off the phone to employer and it has all been sorted, the relocation company will take most of the equipment and some documents, but the rest due to OH job for security reasons will come with us as hand luggage so we are fine no extra charges required.

Bo-Jangle - wasn't just camera though and as it was all agreed in the contract we know something wasn't right, OH is not shy in questioning or asking for something and like this usually get things done and in his line of work that is the norm.

Thank you for all your replies really appreciated.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:55 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. We carried 1 x laptop, 1 x iPad, 1x camera and a childrens dvd player onto the aircraft. Hubby and myself had a mini hand luggage suitcase each, little one had a trunky and I was allowed a handbag too (because I was with a small child). Hubby put the camera around his neck.