Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

lowdown Tauranga/Bay of Plenty area

lowdown Tauranga/Bay of Plenty area

Old Sep 30th 2007, 7:21 am
Family landed :)

newzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nice
Default lowdown Tauranga/Bay of Plenty area

Just returned from a rocket tour of NZ and also managed to secure a job in Tuaranga, (YES!) which should hopefully speed things up for me. (Out EOI has been selected but not got the invite for the full application yet.

We only managed to spend a couple of days in Tauranga and loved most of what we saw there, but anyone know reasonable areas round the edge of Tauranga thats drivable to the centre? Ideally we are trying for semi rural (a house with some garden to stretch your legs in), but need access to schools also. Trying to work out whether to rent for a year or try to buy. But trying to get a rough idea on price is a little tricky not knowing the area. THe other halfs not too keen on my idea of campervanning it for a while

Too many questions!!!!!

TIA
Old Sep 30th 2007, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: lowdown Tauranga/Bay of Plenty area

Hi

Hope you liked your trip to tauranga, where abouts have you secured a job? We moved here jan 2006 and have never looked back. We live in a peninsular called matua which is a 10 min drive to the city centre and there is also a bus route. It takes about 15-20 mins to drive to the mount maunganui main beach from here but the inner harbour is less than a 5 min walk where there are great parks, kayaking, fishing, swimming etc. Our kids are 10 and 13 and attend the local schools here (matua primary) regarded as one of the best in the area and Otumoetai Intermediate which is about a 20 min walk for our daughter. For semi rural a lot of english people tend to head for the other end of town in pyes pa. You can get a good house there with some land for about the same price as you would pay in matua but would spend a bit of time travelling into the city.

Let me know if you want anymore details and I will see what i can do for you

Good luck
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newzealandplease
Just returned from a rocket tour of NZ and also managed to secure a job in Tuaranga, (YES!) which should hopefully speed things up for me. (Out EOI has been selected but not got the invite for the full application yet.

We only managed to spend a couple of days in Tauranga and loved most of what we saw there, but anyone know reasonable areas round the edge of Tauranga thats drivable to the centre? Ideally we are trying for semi rural (a house with some garden to stretch your legs in), but need access to schools also. Trying to work out whether to rent for a year or try to buy. But trying to get a rough idea on price is a little tricky not knowing the area. THe other halfs not too keen on my idea of campervanning it for a while

Too many questions!!!!!

TIA

I would agree with Maysie. Matua is a lovely place to live as is Otumoetai, its neighbor.
Rather than tell you where to avoid and upset people, I`ll tell you some good areas. Mount Maunganui - fantastic beach life with a good assortment of shops/cafe`s/bars and of coarse The Mount. Quite expensive to buy here and unlikely that you`ll find a house with a big garden as land value is very high. Papamoa Beach- very popular with the brits as its close to the beach and has a good choice of shops/cafe`s/bars at Fashion Island and The Plaza. House prices are mid to high all though Generation Homes are producing a 4 bed bungalow for around $450K . There are also lifestyle sections (half acre plus) available to build on. Matua- all ready mentioned, has the benefit of being well established and the beautiful Ferguson Park. Papamoa East- A vert fast growing area which again is popular with the brits. Its quieter here but still has easy access to the beach. Lacks a few shops etc but plans are in the pipeline to change this. Welcome Bay - nearer to town and also cheaper to buy. Some areas have great views but further from the beach. Bethlehem- again a very fast growing area , closer to town and some great views but further from the beach.
I personally would suggest renting for a while and checking the areas out yourself.
If you want any help with rentals and houses then Am Loolah is your chick.
If she doesn`t know then she knows a man that does.
Good Luck
Ash
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:47 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Call me Chick again Ash1 ...

If it's semi-rural you want then you'll need to decide how long a drive you want, which all depends to a certain extent whereabouts in Tauranga you'll be working? And of course, the awful "how much are you looking to spend" question?

You can get semi-rural in Papamoa and have the best of both beach and fields - at a cost. You can have rural in Pyes Pa and get 3 beds and some land for growing more children for under $500k.

What age are your kids as the schools are zoned, but you'll get free school buses, providing you're on or near the route.

Be careful with buying rural when you have a young family. We moved from rural in the UK to a cul-de-sac here and it is so much better for the kids. Rural in the UK meant they couldn't go anywhere without Mum or Dad's taxi service, there was not much to entertain them as they got older and we had to spend fortunes on taxi's if we wanted to go out for a drink. Just my tuppence worth!

Worth contacting Craig & Tracey at www.nzemigrate.co.nz who live in Pyes Pa and give loads of free advice for emigrating. Craig works in Tauranga too.

Originally Posted by Ash1
I would agree with Maysie. Matua is a lovely place to live as is Otumoetai, its neighbor.
Rather than tell you where to avoid and upset people, I`ll tell you some good areas. Mount Maunganui - fantastic beach life with a good assortment of shops/cafe`s/bars and of coarse The Mount. Quite expensive to buy here and unlikely that you`ll find a house with a big garden as land value is very high. Papamoa Beach- very popular with the brits as its close to the beach and has a good choice of shops/cafe`s/bars at Fashion Island and The Plaza. House prices are mid to high all though Generation Homes are producing a 4 bed bungalow for around $450K . There are also lifestyle sections (half acre plus) available to build on. Matua- all ready mentioned, has the benefit of being well established and the beautiful Ferguson Park. Papamoa East- A vert fast growing area which again is popular with the brits. Its quieter here but still has easy access to the beach. Lacks a few shops etc but plans are in the pipeline to change this. Welcome Bay - nearer to town and also cheaper to buy. Some areas have great views but further from the beach. Bethlehem- again a very fast growing area , closer to town and some great views but further from the beach.
I personally would suggest renting for a while and checking the areas out yourself.
If you want any help with rentals and houses then Am Loolah is your chick.
If she doesn`t know then she knows a man that does.
Good Luck
Ash

Last edited by Am Loolah; Sep 30th 2007 at 9:06 am.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

if you want semi rural, ohauiti is lovely too...i live in ohauit, 5 mins from shop, 15 from beach and it takes me 8mins to get to otumoetai!!!!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:23 am
Family landed :)

newzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nice

thanks for all the advice guys.

both kids are under school age at the moment. We passed through Bethlehem on the way out of Tauranga and thought it looked a very nice place. There seems to be a lot of development going on there.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:45 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newzealandplease
thanks for all the advice guys.

both kids are under school age at the moment. We passed through Bethlehem on the way out of Tauranga and thought it looked a very nice place. There seems to be a lot of development going on there.
That's where "Baby David" was born ...
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

pauliz will become famous soon enoughpauliz will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for the info too.Im planning to move out with hubby mid november as we have just got our residence visas through.
I know this has cropped up before[havent been on for a while] but what airlines do you experts recommend?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

we came with singapore n it was fantastic....no probs, great with kids, fantastic spicy peanuts!!!!! good luck with ur move..
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Krissie, how many kilos were you allowed per person?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

really cant remember...we were way over on 3 of our 5 cases but when i said we were emigrating they let them on for no xtra charge!!! where r u goin to be livin?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again Krissie, were going to be living in /around Tauranga as I have a job in the hospital.
Now its bedtime as Im back at work in the morning for the first time in two weeks as weve been on holiday.It will probably be the last one Ill have overseas for a while as we'll be busy adjusting to our new life.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pauliz
Hi again Krissie, were going to be living in /around Tauranga as I have a job in the hospital.
Now its bedtime as Im back at work in the morning for the first time in two weeks as weve been on holiday.It will probably be the last one Ill have overseas for a while as we'll be busy adjusting to our new life.

Hi,

I have mate who works in Tauranga hospital. I think he is a theatre technician ( cant spell anaesthetist) He is very happy there. If you want to pm me I`ll give you his details. He is originally from Yorkshire. You`ll love Tauranga.

Ash
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

DOUBLE A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maysie
Hi

Hope you liked your trip to tauranga, where abouts have you secured a job? We moved here jan 2006 and have never looked back. We live in a peninsular called matua which is a 10 min drive to the city centre and there is also a bus route. It takes about 15-20 mins to drive to the mount maunganui main beach from here but the inner harbour is less than a 5 min walk where there are great parks, kayaking, fishing, swimming etc. Our kids are 10 and 13 and attend the local schools here (matua primary) regarded as one of the best in the area and Otumoetai Intermediate which is about a 20 min walk for our daughter. For semi rural a lot of english people tend to head for the other end of town in pyes pa. You can get a good house there with some land for about the same price as you would pay in matua but would spend a bit of time travelling into the city.

Let me know if you want anymore details and I will see what i can do for you

Good luck
Hi just joined the forum probably out of nosiness if I am perfectly honest and hoping someone like you can sumup what has made this such a positive experience in a nutshell.Myself and OH are pondering a major life change.but with 4 kids want to make the right move.Can you help!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUBLE A
Hi just joined the forum probably out of nosiness if I am perfectly honest and hoping someone like you can sumup what has made this such a positive experience in a nutshell.Myself and OH are pondering a major life change.but with 4 kids want to make the right move.Can you help!
Hiya DoubleA,

I also have 4 children and decided to emigrate to NZ in March. Our house has now sold, I secured a truck drivers job for the OH and we are now waiting for the proceeds of the sale to fund the meds, visa's and flights.

Where you intend to move to is such a personal thing but I for one want somewhere a little safer than Essex UK.

IMO the most important thing for you to do is research, research and research some more. Everyone on here will be able to answer most if not all your questions. Great bunch actually

What line of work are you in? Have you checked to see if your eligible to move to NZ?

Nici

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.