Love Welly

Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:05 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Love Welly

A question to the Wellingtonians and probably those that have been here through a winter. My OH is from Upper Hutt and his family all live in Auckland now and the only thing they can think of to say bad about Wellington (to stop us going there ) is the weather. And YET, I don't think I've ever seen people who live there complain overly about the weather on any of the forums. I know it's windy - roaring forties and all that jazz - but it seems that it takes second/third/fourth place to the pleasure people seem to take in living there. Is this true?

Actually, people in Wellington don't really seem to complain that much at all
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:18 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Love Welly

Actually, people in Wellington don't really seem to complain that much at all [/QUOTE]

Only about Aucklanders...
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:34 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
Actually, people in Wellington don't really seem to complain that much at all

Only about Aucklanders...[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

I've got an ulterior motive for asking We're thinking of moving. I'd love to - I really, really liked Welly when we visited last year and yes, I know it was only two days but I loved the old buildings in the city and the fact that you could walk from one end to the other - sort of reminded me of Dublin. OH still feels that he hasn't come 'home' and we're only in Auckland because of his mum being here. He has told her that if we leave we're not leaving HER but that it's something we have to do. OMG - it's like emigrating all over again! It'll all depend on whether or not we get a sale on our house and even then we might decide to not go so far but I always say if you're going to put your foot in you might as well go to the groin
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:18 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Well as a born and raised Wellingtonian, (or at least, Tawanese) I will quite happily complain about traffic (too much), weather (not sunny enough), housing (it doesn't cost $5.00 therefore i can't afford it...), transport (not a metro system a la London, New York, Paris). But god help anyone else who tries to complain about this city! I will hunt them down and tar n feather the varmints!

Seriously, i do love the place and wouldn't live anywhere else. Except London. My visa expired and i had to leave. but i loved London....

Back to Wellington - it is great. The restaurants are fantastic - regardless if you want to pay $8.50 for a malaysian meal or $58.50 for some whitebait at Shed 5. You can pick and choose your location. Also it is fun. So there is nothing stopping the same person visiting the cheap malaysian restaurant (Dixon Street and Ghuznee Street btw have the best!) or the expensive place. You don't get pigeonholed.

Shopping is good.

People are friendly.

etc etc

One thing that always reminds me that I am in Wellington is the first glimpse of the harbour whilst heading down Ngauranga Gorge. Seriously, on a sunny day, nothing beats it

I love it. (In NZ) i wouldn't live anywhere else.

Sorry, positive rant over now!!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:59 pm
By name and by nature

Thank you for that - some karma going your way
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Thank you for that - some karma going your way
I arrived in the winter last year and the weather has been pretty good on the whole - the wind is not as bad as I was expecting.....however expats who have been here 2-3 years tell me I have just been lucky so far. I would say I have had 2 days where you have to be careful about the car door flying out of your hand because of the wind.
You have to be careful about the position of your house vis a vis the wind, damp v sun etc etc. I was told that my rental only gets one of the prevailing 'winds' and it has never kept me awake at night.

I would think it seems more isolated than Auckland from a Brit's point of view...it's quite a long drive to get to anywhere else major....the city itself, nothing to dislike about it really.

Isn't Auckland fun as well though?
Luvwelly
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:49 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I can't fault Wellington, I really can't. If the weather were perfect it would be boring. I thought it would rain more than it has, and I've not been here over winter yet, so can't really comment too much on the weather. When a southerly blows in, though, you know it.

I adore the area, it really does have everything we need. I'm never moving.

When do you think you'll make your decision by?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:19 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by luvwelly

Isn't Auckland fun as well though?
Luvwelly

Yeah, it's grand and if we have to stay here (I'll explain in next post to Maz ) I'll just get another job and move to another area - so not much then
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:35 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by Maz
When do you think you'll make your decision by?
We're getting our house ready to sell - perfect timing as usual and it will depend on that and the fact that OH feels a bit bound by his mother - she's got a heart problem and he's only got one sister here. So, I don't know what's going to happen really over the next few months. All the years he was away he couldn't wait to come home and as far as he's concerned he's still not there. We both want to change our jobs but can't do anything until we know for sure one way or the other! It's doing our heads in at the moment - are we/aren't we going?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:59 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Do it! Otherwise you'll spend your time wondering "what if?" and that'll do your heads in instead.

There's only an hour plane ride between the two cities, hardly a lot.