Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lots of questions pt 1 - re: moving house

Lots of questions pt 1 - re: moving house

Old Oct 11th 2005, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default Lots of questions pt 1 - re: moving house

Hi folks. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and am jumping in properly now, with a mass of questions. This first lot is all about the process of moving to NZ:
1 Shipping household items from home: can anyone advise about shipping costs? Do you pay by weight or size? How long does it take? What are you recommended to take, and what would be cheaper / better to buy there?

2 Shipping food & drink: collection of vintage malt whisky – are we allowed to import it? Can we take any foodstuffs (e.g. sweets, chocolate etc)?

3 Plants and seeds – are these allowed in?

4 DVD / video – will UK models work in NZ?

5 Computer systems / photographic kit – are we best to fly these across? How well do they last the journey if shipped?

6 Antique / heirloom furniture – is this safe to ship across?

7 Electricity supply – how does this compare to UK (i.e. is it 240 volts)? Will our electrical appliances work there?

8 Medical / dental / veterinary records – how do these get transferred across?

Thanks,
JaneAS
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of questions pt 1 - re: moving house

Originally Posted by JaneAS
Hi folks. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and am jumping in properly now, with a mass of questions. This first lot is all about the process of moving to NZ:
1 Shipping household items from home: can anyone advise about shipping costs? Do you pay by weight or size? How long does it take? What are you recommended to take, and what would be cheaper / better to buy there?

2 Shipping food & drink: collection of vintage malt whisky – are we allowed to import it? Can we take any foodstuffs (e.g. sweets, chocolate etc)?

5 Computer systems / photographic kit – are we best to fly these across? How well do they last the journey if shipped?

7 Electricity supply – how does this compare to UK (i.e. is it 240 volts)? Will our electrical appliances work there?

Thanks,
JaneAS
Hi JaneAS and welcome to the forum, I'm sure if you read back through some of the threads a lot of your questions are probably already covered.

Shipping cost depends on how much your taking, small ammounts can go in a shared container, so then you've got container sizes 20' is the average I think. I don't think you can take any food at all. I'm sure a whiskey collection is Ok, plants and seeds definate no no, DVD and videos work but don't forget DVD players have regional codes so they may not play DVD films bought over there, Electric supply the same just different plugs (no fuses) which I'm a bit worried about, must have MCB's on the consumer unit. My doc said they would prepare some notes to take over.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneAS

Thanks,
JaneAS
1. about £5000 for a big container
2. No food. There are some exceptions. Check NZ Customs website. Not sure about whisky. If they are in doubt they will tax it.
3. No
4.maybe
5.should be OK to ship but backup data and insure.
6.yes
7.its the same
8.bring them with you.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

Thank you.

I'm going to the NZ Expo in Manchester next weekend, so hopefully I'll pick up some contacts for shipping etc while I'm there.

JaneAS