Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking for work....

Looking for work....

Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Robs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant future
Question Looking for work....

Hi all,

This is just my second post but like others say, this site is very addictive and helpful.

Anyway, what i need to know is the process of finding work before we move over sometime next year.

As i said in my first post, I am about to finish uni with a degree in applied computing but i have also been working for the same company in glasgow for the last 20yrs. I am in production control but want to move in to IT (hence the degree).

My o/h Clare is a Technical teacher (design, Autocad, etc), but i am unsure of the route to finding work and how to get a job offer before we go. Should i go to an agency or just apply for jobs on the net???

Please help if you can.

Robs.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for work....

Hi Robs,
as others will prob say its very hard to get a job from this end. You can email companies and use trademe and seek sites etc to get a feel for the market but as the recruitment companies at the expo said, they really want to interview face to face. Its better to make contact and then contact them again once you have an arrival date so they can start the whole process off for you and maybe have some interviews lined up for when you get there. Having said that depending on how in demand your skills are you "may" get an offer from here or you could equally wait until you arrive.
Good luck
sb
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Robs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant futureRobs27 has a brilliant future

Hi Sarah

Thanks for your reply. I was told that it may be possible to have phone interviews, but as you say, the best way is to try face to face interviews.

We were planning to go over again next year before we make the big move,
but i don't know if it would be best to go to an agency or not.

Thanks again

Robs
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all

Job agencies are fine but you won't need an emmigration agent - waste of money IMHO. You'll get all the info you need on this site. Lots of friendly helpful people. I've got a list of NZ related websites -houses, movers, job people etc etc that I can email you if you like. PM (private message) me your email address and I'll send it.
sb