Lonely in Torbay!

Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:58 am
Just Joined

mwat will become famous soon enoughmwat will become famous soon enough
Default Lonely in Torbay!

Hi everyone!
My and my 2 kids (boy aged 8, girl aged 5) arrived here in Torbay 2 weeks ago. (OH had already been out here and working for 5 months before we arrived).

He went back to work the day after we landed and kids started school last week. Great, I hear you shout!!

That just leaves me (not working), knowing no-one and nowhere!! A bit of a shock

Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas on meeting people in the area, places to go etc.

Love NZ so far - not homesick - just friendsick!!

Any advice gratefully received!!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice
Default Re: Lonely in Torbay!

Hiya! we are not far from you . We got here 3 weeks ago!!
If you fancy a drive out just send me PM. Debborah.x
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:19 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

How can you be lonely in Torbay? It has been nicknamed "little Pomgolia" by my nephew

You anywhere near Awaruku or Stredwick Drive? If so just hang around near the shops bound to meet half the population of the UK or worst my Brothers other half

Places to go! Long Bay Beach walk around to cove or over the cliff walk watch out though the second and third cove are clothing optional areas or if you dont like Beaches head over to Albany or Takapuna or closer still walk down to Browns Bay.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's possible to feel lonely anywhere in the world , Colin in the middle, be it crowds of people about or not another soul in sight.

This person is asking for help and support. Please respect that and if you can't or are not inclined to offer help & suppport then go back to discussing your beef about WHV.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:28 am
`

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy
Hiya! we are not far from you . We got here 3 weeks ago!!
If you fancy a drive out just send me PM. Debborah.x
Good on ya.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

hey! I'm in Torbay too! We have 3 kids - 10, 3 & 1 yrs old. If you fancy meeting up for a coffee, let me know and we'll arrange something

Michelle x
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:58 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya. Welcome to NZ. I felt the same when we got here and OH and kids were gone most of the day. It does get better as you find your feet and your confidence. Only advice I can offer is what worked for me; get out of the house every day. Go to the shops and strike up a conversation with anyone, people in the queue, shop keepers - you'll be surprised how friendly everyone is and they usually are useful sources of information aswell so always mention anything you're looking for - they'll have a friend or relative they'll put you in touch with! and mention anywhere you'd like to go - they'll give you heaps of tips.
Do get in touch with Debborah and Michelle. You'll find their offers are genuine and we've all been where you are now. You'll soon start feeling better once you've meet up with a few people and you'll have them to rely on in the coming weeks should you get stuck with anything or have a bad day.
Good luck with it all, keep smiling and don't worry, you're not alone. Would offer you coffee as well but I'm on south island! But, if you're ever done this way - give us a shout
Best wishes, Mande xx
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:20 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS here
It's possible to feel lonely anywhere in the world , Colin in the middle, be it crowds of people about or not another soul in sight.

This person is asking for help and support. Please respect that and if you can't or are not inclined to offer help & suppport then go back to discussing your beef about WHV.
Pull your head in if you read the post you would see I could be pointing towards some help
I got family and friends living in Torbay and those streets mentioned and know for a fact several of them are ex pats.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:22 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Pull your head in if you read the post you would see I could be pointing towards some help
I got family and friends living in Torbay and those streets mentioned and know for a fact several of them are ex pats.
Excuse me Miss?? ...

I thought he was being helpful ...
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi jacky g here

know how you are feeling,holiday period over,reality set in

for the past week i've been sitting feeling sorry for myself,when you go to the school to pick up the kids it seems everyone except you is having a conversation...........met up with some lovely people on thursday for cofee and lunch....

plans for tomorrow.........give myself a big kick up the backend......
i don't know how far away from you i am ,but pm if you want to meet...
its very hard adjusting,theres only so much cleaning and cooking you can do,
but just to let you know your not alone,loads of us feel like that,
you've just got to get in the right frame of mind to do something about it..

gl and stay positive
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:03 pm
`

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
How can you be lonely in Torbay? It has been nicknamed "little Pomgolia" by my nephew
Is this helpful?

With regard to your further comment, I have sent a PM.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:08 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Is this helpful?

With regard to your further comment, I have sent a PM.
Apparently we live in "Pomomoa?!"
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:38 pm
`

Originally Posted by mwat
Hi everyone!
My and my 2 kids (boy aged 8, girl aged 5) arrived here in Torbay 2 weeks ago. (OH had already been out here and working for 5 months before we arrived).

He went back to work the day after we landed and kids started school last week. Great, I hear you shout!!

That just leaves me (not working), knowing no-one and nowhere!! A bit of a shock

Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas on meeting people in the area, places to go etc.

As TeamEmbo states, we have all been there . It can take some time to find your feet and start getting to know people. Like TeamEmbo , we are also on the South Island so too far away to meet up but you've already got a couple of lovely offers just from your thread.

If your family can spare a weekend , perhaps join this BE meet-up in Rotorua.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:53 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwat
Hi everyone!

Are you doing anything next Saturday as we have a birthday party for our 2 year old and his 5 year old brother plus plenty of other kids will be there and we are about 20 minutes away up Rodney way. PM me if you fancy more info, LL
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

mwat will become famous soon enoughmwat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Hiya. Welcome to NZ. I felt the same when we got here and OH and kids were gone most of the day. It does get better as you find your feet and your confidence. Only advice I can offer is what worked for me; get out of the house every day. Go to the shops and strike up a conversation with anyone, people in the queue, shop keepers - you'll be surprised how friendly everyone is and they usually are useful sources of information aswell so always mention anything you're looking for - they'll have a friend or relative they'll put you in touch with! and mention anywhere you'd like to go - they'll give you heaps of tips.
Do get in touch with Debborah and Michelle. You'll find their offers are genuine and we've all been where you are now. You'll soon start feeling better once you've meet up with a few people and you'll have them to rely on in the coming weeks should you get stuck with anything or have a bad day.
Good luck with it all, keep smiling and don't worry, you're not alone. Would offer you coffee as well but I'm on south island! But, if you're ever done this way - give us a shout
Best wishes, Mande xx
Thank you!! My sister lives in Christchuch - so may well make it down at some point!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.