Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Living in or near Christchurch

Living in or near Christchurch

Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of
Default Living in or near Christchurch

Hi, I am a 30 year old male (single, no children) looking to move to NZ hopefully in the next few weeks and it is likely to be Christchurch as I work in the construction industry, which is good because that was my first choice! I have visited Christchurch earlier this year but wondered if those with more local knowledge could give me the pros and cons of living in certain areas.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:36 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in or near Christchurch

Hi
Do a search on here as there are plenty of threads on Chch and where to live.
Do you want to live in the city, the suburbs or more rural? Bear in mind that if you're planning on renting then you may have trouble finding somewhere suitable due to high demand at the moment.
Tell us the sort of area you want and we can give you more advice.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I will have a search around the forum. I would love to live near the sea and don't mind commuting as I should have a car. Failing that somewhere with a bit of a social scene, I am certainly not looking for or expecting flash, hectic nightlife (must be getting old!).
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

The eastern suburbs suffered significant damage in the earthquakes. However, we live in Parklands, 10 mins walk from Waimairi Beach and love it. Our road was very badly damaged in the Dec events but it is now fixed. There is a Fresh Choice supermarket, library, Post Office, Westpac Bank, takeaways, chemist, cafe, Robbies bar/restaurant, golf course close by. Regular bus service too. In the New Brighton area, the damage is more obvious as there are lots more shops and houses there. Rentals are cheaper in New Brighton/North New Brighton but you really need to come to the area to get the feel.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, just need that elsusive offer!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:48 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

As Chippy said, you need to see the various suburbs and get an idea of whether you'd like to live there. Stay in a motel once you get here and have a good look round.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Yes, definitely the best option, thank you.