Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Live music scene..? 30 years old, considering Auckland...

Live music scene..? 30 years old, considering Auckland...

Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

ben604 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Live music scene..? 30 years old, considering Auckland...

Hello!

I'm 30, have a job offer in NZ, my old man lives in Auckland, so the move should be pretty straight forward...just not sure it's going to be lively enough for me out there...

I've been out twice before, at 20 and 26 (with my then girlfriend) for 4 months at a time. Loved it both times, but I was on holiday, everything seems rosier when you're on holiday with loads of cash!

I've done the usual searches, but it's the best pubs/clubs don't often have websites etc...is there a decent live music scene in Auckland? I'm in a (covers) band at the moment and figured it'd be a good way to meet people by joining a band. Are there decent Rock clubs in Auckland?

Any replies would be welcome!

Ben
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:03 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live music scene..? 30 years old, considering Auckland...

I have never lived in Auckland so I can't help you at all on the music side of things.
Just wanted to say welcome to BE and hopefully someone will be along to answer your questions. I'm not in NZ at the moment but they're probably all in bed at this time!
You're right in that being on holiday and living somewhere are completely different. But no reason not to come over, after all if it isn't for you then you can still return to the UK.
If you need any help with visas, cost of living etc then just ask away
P
Old Jul 29th 2013, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

The main live venue is the Power station has been going for ages Nirvana were booked to play there once but i think it got moved. There used to be a few rock places in town but they have closed down now. However Krd has a couple of live venues now try Whammy Bar, Studio and The Kings Arms Tavern. Down town has changed heaps I guess it would after being away for 12 years :-)

Last edited by westie1234; Jul 29th 2013 at 5:38 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to see Beyonce at the Vector Arena in October
Old Jul 31st 2013, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Ninja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really nice

Hi Ben, I`ve been in Auckland for just over two years and have seen the following artists / bands: Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Def Leppard, Heart, Stone Roses, The Specials, The Business, Bad Manners, Florence and the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Linkin Park, Nickelback, The Cranberries, Blondie, The Stranglers, Kaiser Chiefs, Sisters of Mercy, Simple Minds, Incubus, The Damned and........Ronan Keating (don`t ask)......The BIG bands will play outdoor venues like Mt Smart Stadium or Western Springs, then you have Vector Arena, then the Trusts Stadium, then the Powerstation and finally small venues like the Kings Arms Tavern (you`d like this place)...there are loads of other venues that i`ve not been to that have live music as well......go to www.eventfinder.co.nz....
Old Jul 31st 2013, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few places around like up on K Road that have bands on but nothing to write home about, I can't really think of anywhere in town that has bands on regularly.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ninja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really nice

Also try this site...kingsarms.co.nz.....they have live bands nearly every Thursday to Sunday.....with a massive mix of Genres!!!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

ben604 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies everyone!

To be honest, it's the smaller, local venues I was most concerned about. I managed to see Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone age and Stereophonics last time I was over, the Powerstation is a great venue.

I'm just used to a bit of choice when I get out and about in Liverpool, so I'm glad there are a few places that will cater for my rock'n'roll sensibilities!