Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A little advice please...............

Wikiposts

A little advice please...............

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all
Default Re: A little advice please...............

So why not Wellington?

I'm offended.

You won't get a better, more compact and friendly city, and that's not just cos I'm here.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

From a Hamilton point of view.
Depend on what type of living you are looking for if it is city living so to speak. I would look at Rototuna Flagstaff St Andrews Chartwell Areas.

If you fancied a small lifestyle block type section then Cambridge is a good area which is 15 minutes drive into Hamilton centre, Karapiro is also nice but a little further.
There is also Matangi 10 minutes drive, but there has been an issue in recent months with several burglaries.

Other areas to consider are Puketaha Gordonton areas.

Shopping depending on the area that you choose to live there area variety of supermarkets such as Countdown foodtown woolworths and pack n save. Different to the Uk as they just sell food stuffs. No nipping to Tesco or asda for their cheap fashion. Or having a coffee after a stressful round at the supermarket

The most obvious shopping area in Hamilton is situated on the north side of the city on state highway one and it is called The Base.
It has a variety of shops such as Rebel Sport, Briscoes, Noel Leeming, Bond & Bond, Surf n Skate, Warehouse, No1 Shoe, Hannas, Dog trading company, Harvey Norman, Mitre10 (effectively a B&Q) Postieplus, Baby city and many more that I cant think of. There are also 2 banks called ASB & Westpac.
Please google the names to see what they are there is a good selection of supplies there, and they are building more including a Farmers department store.
There is another shopping centre called Chartwell situated in its name sake with a variety of shops and a cinema I cant remeber how many screens but it is linked to sky city.

There is also the central business district and shops within the city centre and another 2 shopping centres called Downtown Plaza and Centre Place. Again there are a variety of shops. Down side to town is the cost of parking in comparison to free parking at the base and chartwell.

As for bus service it does depend on where you live. If you will be reliant on a bus service then city living is a must as from memory Cambridge has a bus once a week into and out of Hamilton! The rest of the city service does not seem to bad. Train service is scarce. There is talk of trialing the train to run from hamilton to auckland in september but they need to seek funding of $457,000 to go ahead with this.

I cant think of anything ese to add if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. Google info and have a look on maps to get a rough idea on names of areas

Hope info helps
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

To keep previous replies of mine in context , the OP stated in their Custom User Title that they were not far from London smogs.
Subjective of course. Factual - not. Maybe that is why it has now been removed.

the poster of the month has sure got this thread off on a tangent
Ah well , my kiwi friend, some untrue thing stated 'bout England just get right up the nose. Rather the way untrue things stated about NZ get right up the nostrils too.

The blue skies of England are beautifully blue
and they are. Whether you or anyone else likes the fact, the blue skies of England are really rather lovely. Just as assorted blues skies are everywhere. Similar to gentle or dynamic sunsets. All lovely in their own way.

Also , there is no smog in London these days. but there is in Richmond Nelson, so on that note, the OP needs to check about smog in NZ as Richmond will not be the only place it is seen or felt.

The OP should not consider Nelson or Richmond in that case
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandJMay
Hello there

We are getting married in September and have been lucky enough to be given 4 weeks off of work in Jan/Feb 2010, so we are taking full advantage and going back to New Zealand.

Since it is in our minds that our future might lay on the other side of the world, we would like to divide our time between the usual tourist stuff, and also getting to know New Zealand life. The second bit is where we hope you can help us.

Although we’ll only get a very small slice of what it’s like to live in New Zealand we would like to visit some of the places it is likely we would live in order to be able to work. While there we want to see what these places are like when not wearing our ‘tourist glasses’.

So our question to you is:

Which suburbs in Auckland, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Lower & Upper Hutt, Dunedin and Christchurch should we visit.

We would like to know where do you do your food shopping, where are the sports centres you go to and where in your local area do you spend your leisure time. We don’t have children and will not be having any, so schools are not a consideration for us.

We would like to visit places like cinema’s, shopping malls and be able to check out public transport in each of he areas

We have a while to plan this but we want to make sure on this visit we a get a feel of different places before having the big conversation of do we join you all out there.

Thank you in advance

Darren and JoAnna
I'm not sure how important shopping would be on my list when looking for somewhere to stay. Foodwise in NZ there's not great deal of variety, there are 2 main supermarket chains Countdown/Foodtwon,Woollies and PaknSave/New World, none are up to the Tescos standards or even Morrisons but they're all acceptable.

Auckland has a number of shopping centres, South and North. There's nice places to stay out East, West and North Shore, and also south of Auckland too, but it really depends on where you find work. If you want to live North Shore and yet have to work across the bridge you're going to be spending alot of the time in the car. That's ok for some, but for me commuting time is wasted time.

Outdoor wise there's plenty to do, the closeness to the sea opens plenty of watersports - sailing, kayaking.

Public transport isn't great in Auckland, but it's probably little better anywhere else either.

Off topic, there's just as many dull white sky days in NZ as I recall in England, just when it is clear it's warmer though not at night and inside!

Last edited by chocolate cake; Jun 23rd 2009 at 9:50 pm. Reason: obvious typos
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:45 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newfies
From a Hamilton point of view.
Depend on what type of living you are looking for if it is city living so to speak. I would look at Rototuna Flagstaff St Andrews Chartwell Areas.

If you fancied a small lifestyle block type section then Cambridge is a good area which is 15 minutes drive into Hamilton centre, Karapiro is also nice but a little further.
There is also Matangi 10 minutes drive, but there has been an issue in recent months with several burglaries.

Other areas to consider are Puketaha Gordonton areas.

Shopping depending on the area that you choose to live there area variety of supermarkets such as Countdown foodtown woolworths and pack n save. Different to the Uk as they just sell food stuffs. No nipping to Tesco or asda for their cheap fashion. Or having a coffee after a stressful round at the supermarket

The most obvious shopping area in Hamilton is situated on the north side of the city on state highway one and it is called The Base.
It has a variety of shops such as Rebel Sport, Briscoes, Noel Leeming, Bond & Bond, Surf n Skate, Warehouse, No1 Shoe, Hannas, Dog trading company, Harvey Norman, Mitre10 (effectively a B&Q) Postieplus, Baby city and many more that I cant think of. There are also 2 banks called ASB & Westpac.
Please google the names to see what they are there is a good selection of supplies there, and they are building more including a Farmers department store.
There is another shopping centre called Chartwell situated in its name sake with a variety of shops and a cinema I cant remeber how many screens but it is linked to sky city.

There is also the central business district and shops within the city centre and another 2 shopping centres called Downtown Plaza and Centre Place. Again there are a variety of shops. Down side to town is the cost of parking in comparison to free parking at the base and chartwell.

As for bus service it does depend on where you live. If you will be reliant on a bus service then city living is a must as from memory Cambridge has a bus once a week into and out of Hamilton! The rest of the city service does not seem to bad. Train service is scarce. There is talk of trialing the train to run from hamilton to auckland in september but they need to seek funding of $457,000 to go ahead with this.

I cant think of anything ese to add if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. Google info and have a look on maps to get a rough idea on names of areas

Hope info helps
Hello

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, just the advice we are looking for

D&J
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for the info

J&D
There's also a largeish shopping area at Johnsonville (next to Khandallah) and all Wellington suburbs have 'their shops' but by UK standards they would be laughable in the main so not worth mentioning really although it is a good idea to choose your suburb based on the local facilities..a good coffee shop comes high on my list lol.
Most Wellington suburbs have GP surgeries, schools, parade of shops, even a Library or swimming pool or sports centre maybe so I expect the Hutt Valley is similar in that respect.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there

We are getting married in September and have been lucky enough to be given 4 weeks off of work in Jan/Feb 2010, so we are taking full advantage and going back to New Zealand.

Since it is in our minds that our future might lay on the other side of the world, we would like to divide our time between the usual tourist stuff, and also getting to know New Zealand life. The second bit is where we hope you can help us.

Although we’ll only get a very small slice of what it’s like to live in New Zealand we would like to visit some of the places it is likely we would live in order to be able to work. While there we want to see what these places are like when not wearing our ‘tourist glasses’.

So our question to you is:

Which suburbs in Auckland, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Lower & Upper Hutt, Dunedin and Christchurch should we visit.

We would like to know where do you do your food shopping, where are the sports centres you go to and where in your local area do you spend your leisure time. We don’t have children and will not be having any, so schools are not a consideration for us.

We would like to visit places like cinema’s, shopping malls and be able to check out public transport in each of he areas

We have a while to plan this but we want to make sure on this visit we a get a feel of different places before having the big conversation of do we join you all out there.

Thank you in advance

Darren and JoAnna
Hi, I live in Palmerston North with my young family and we looooooove it despite what everyone else says about the place...I still find it exciting after 4 years...guess I am easily pleased!!! However you are not having children and you seem to have the pick of the pops from your 'to do' list. If you would like my two penneth....avoid Palmy and Hamilton. Why go to an inland town if you don't have to??? Kate's job was here...thus we had no choice.

Auckland is horribly busy and the traffic a nightmare from what I can glean..house prices are silly too.

NP looks really cool..you can ski in the AM and surf PM!!!!! BUT is it a bit quiet for you 2?

Don't know much of Upper or Lower Hutt but I think for a young childless couple you would be better in the capital itself.

Dunedin looks lovely but I am told its very cold in the winter and won't have the chique of Wellington.

That leaves Christchurch. Very nice from what I understand, in the shadow of all those mountains the downside to ChCh is the boyracers (apparently) and the fact that there's poor air quality in winter due to smog from wood burners.

I'd go for NP myself as I don't like BIG, BIG towns. But you guys may feel that its too 'small town provincial NZ'........ over to you.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi, I live in Palmerston North with my young family and we looooooove it despite what everyone else says about the place...I still find it exciting after 4 years...guess I am easily pleased!!! However you are not having children and you seem to have the pick of the pops from your 'to do' list. If you would like my two penneth....avoid Palmy and Hamilton. Why go to an inland town if you don't have to??? Kate's job was here...thus we had no choice.

Auckland is horribly busy and the traffic a nightmare from what I can glean..house prices are silly too.

NP looks really cool..you can ski in the AM and surf PM!!!!! BUT is it a bit quiet for you 2?

Don't know much of Upper or Lower Hutt but I think for a young childless couple you would be better in the capital itself.

Dunedin looks lovely but I am told its very cold in the winter and won't have the chique of Wellington.

That leaves Christchurch. Very nice from what I understand, in the shadow of all those mountains the downside to ChCh is the boyracers (apparently) and the fact that there's poor air quality in winter due to smog from wood burners.

I'd go for NP myself as I don't like BIG, BIG towns. But you guys may feel that its too 'small town provincial NZ'........ over to you.
wow a lot of food for thought there, thank you for your reply
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We love living in the Auckland region. Depending on where you are working, you can make the commute OK - mine averages 40 minutes at rush hour and I could get into the CBD in about another five minutes by using the park and ride bus. There are some great beaches, parks, schools and pleasant suburbs, but you do need to do some careful research before committing to any particular part of the city. The climate here is very easy to live with, the winters especially are much milder than anywhere in the UK - except this winter we seem to be having a string of frosts which reminds me of Canterbury weather. Here on the hibiscus coast you can get a very nice family home for around $500k, it's not too busy and you can always park right next to the shop/bar/beach that you want to visit.

I was brought up in rural Canterbury and went to school in Christchurch and to be frank didn't think I'd enjoy Auckland when I returned to NZ. But having been here nearly 4 years, I'd struggle to name somewhere I'd rather live, especially if I needed to earn a good salary

So if you're likely to be working on the North Shore, I'd advise checking out this region
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
We love living in the Auckland region. Depending on where you are working, you can make the commute OK - mine averages 40 minutes at rush hour and I could get into the CBD in about another five minutes by using the park and ride bus. There are some great beaches, parks, schools and pleasant suburbs, but you do need to do some careful research before committing to any particular part of the city. The climate here is very easy to live with, the winters especially are much milder than anywhere in the UK - except this winter we seem to be having a string of frosts which reminds me of Canterbury weather. Here on the hibiscus coast you can get a very nice family home for around $500k, it's not too busy and you can always park right next to the shop/bar/beach that you want to visit.

I was brought up in rural Canterbury and went to school in Christchurch and to be frank didn't think I'd enjoy Auckland when I returned to NZ. But having been here nearly 4 years, I'd struggle to name somewhere I'd rather live, especially if I needed to earn a good salary

So if you're likely to be working on the North Shore, I'd advise checking out this region
I realise that even with all the negative issues that sooooo many of us can bring up about virtually anywhere in NZ there will be many, many people who love just where they are. I understand why people are negative about Palmy....and I admit we would not have come here had Palmy not kind of chosen us. But 4 years in we are like pigs in clover. Auckland has many, many positive points but from what I can glean traffic and cost are 2 big issues. I fully appreciate that many probably earn sufficient for the cost of Auckland to be not that bigger an issue. At the end of the day we all get used to our environs. Even when you don't pick a place to live in..we went where the job was...and we have made Palmy work for us. The same as Dunedin, the Hutts, NP, Hamilton and all the other places work so well for others. My comments are mere opinion with some gleaned facts chucked in.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

nickelnine is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Christchurch for just over a year its a nice place. As a previous poster mentioned they do have boy racers which drive round in one big square. don't see the point really or why anybody would spend the money on petrol to do so. But saying that its not that big of a issue.
The city itself is nice, plenty of cinema's, restaurants etc. Nightlife you are best looking towards Sol Square and The Strip. If you go to the Strip plenty of restaurants but as the evening goes on they turn into bars/clubs where the youngsters go. (18 or there about) Sol Square is much better!!
Akaroa is good for a day trip and not to far away.....very scenic.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that even with all the negative issues that sooooo many of us can bring up about virtually anywhere in NZ there will be many, many people who love just where they are. I understand why people are negative about Palmy....and I admit we would not have come here had Palmy not kind of chosen us. But 4 years in we are like pigs in clover. Auckland has many, many positive points but from what I can glean traffic and cost are 2 big issues. I fully appreciate that many probably earn sufficient for the cost of Auckland to be not that bigger an issue. At the end of the day we all get used to our environs. Even when you don't pick a place to live in..we went where the job was...and we have made Palmy work for us. The same as Dunedin, the Hutts, NP, Hamilton and all the other places work so well for others. My comments are mere opinion with some gleaned facts chucked in.
I've never been to Palmy (actually I think I might have flown out of the airport after visiting a schoolfriend who was living at Mangaweka but that was in the days of DC3s) but you make it seem so great I'm sometimes tempted to move there! I need to be near the sea - one of the reasons we left the UK was that the RN was moving all its engineering jobs to the M4 corridor - and I prefer really near. When there's an easterly breeze we can hear the surf from our house at night, which I really love. I'd love to live in the Marlborough Sounds but not so sure about income for me and school for the kids.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

[ I need to be near the sea - [/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you mean....35 mins is good for me her in Palmy to get to the seaside....Northampton (where I escaped from) is the most land locked 'shire in GB. Still we have the mountains here to look at and go tramping in...that'll do. I do think Palmy is neat...BUT its all about ones frame of reference...had I say come from Barcelona I am not sure I would be quite so content...but having come from the vile postcode that was my last home and the general dour environs of Northampton Central and its manifold issues...Palmy really is our nirvana. Each to their own. As far as things to do and affordability coupled with schooling and hospital facilities Palmy is marvelous for a family.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

Ther is noting wrong with living in land. It all depends on preference. If you love lounging on beaches or surfing the yeah beach side living is for you do I guess it would be best to look at Mount Manganui or even Raglan as the are the best sufing beches.

Auckland has some fantastic beaches also and Hamilton is only a 30 to 40 minute drive to Raglan. So it is possible to live in either place and commute. There is also Rotorua which is a nice place. Ignore what people say about the smell it is not that bad honest. There are several fantastic free activities to do in Rotorua not to mention all the lakes. It is also possible to commute from Hamilton/ Cambridge to Rotorua in about an hour.

If I could have my job that I have now in Rotorua I would be in 7th heaven. The activities there were amazing and i would still be living there if the job werent so shite.
From what i know of CHCh is is very enlishfied. We visited last yeah and just the looking and driving around reminded us of England. Teh winter weaher is definately freezing and comparable to the uk winter with not much central heating. Don't know much else about the area sorry.
I gues D&J need to figure out what you want to do long term activity wise and what you want to get out from living in NZ before yo can safely decie on an area as each of the areas that you have mentioned have very different qualities within them selves

Good luck
Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:33 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newfies
I gues D&J need to figure out what you want to do long term activity wise and what you want to get out from living in NZ before yo can safely decie on an area as each of the areas that you have mentioned have very different qualities within them selves

Good luck
I think by visiting each of them as they plan, and armed with some advice from this thread then they are going to have a pretty idea of what is best for them...I like their approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.