Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A little advice please...............

A little advice please...............

Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:49 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute
Default A little advice please...............

Hello there

We are getting married in September and have been lucky enough to be given 4 weeks off of work in Jan/Feb 2010, so we are taking full advantage and going back to New Zealand.

Since it is in our minds that our future might lay on the other side of the world, we would like to divide our time between the usual tourist stuff, and also getting to know New Zealand life. The second bit is where we hope you can help us.

Although we’ll only get a very small slice of what it’s like to live in New Zealand we would like to visit some of the places it is likely we would live in order to be able to work. While there we want to see what these places are like when not wearing our ‘tourist glasses’.

So our question to you is:

Which suburbs in Auckland, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Lower & Upper Hutt, Dunedin and Christchurch should we visit.

We would like to know where do you do your food shopping, where are the sports centres you go to and where in your local area do you spend your leisure time. We don’t have children and will not be having any, so schools are not a consideration for us.

We would like to visit places like cinema’s, shopping malls and be able to check out public transport in each of he areas

We have a while to plan this but we want to make sure on this visit we a get a feel of different places before having the big conversation of do we join you all out there.

Thank you in advance

Darren and JoAnna
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:16 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little advice please...............

Wellington's out then?

I will leave it for someone else to answer then
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Actually, I'm quite interested in the idea of a current London smog. The last known London one was during 1991 lasting for 4 days due to a windless weather condition.
Previous to that, goodness knows. I remember that one as I was going to travel up.

In contrast, Richmond, Nelson NZ had 8 days of smog just last month. That is due to wood burners and wet wood and also traffic pollution.

UK folks don't often ever really refer to smogs anymore as they don't get them. Only us English that are probably 50+ would remember a real heavy fog and then only a smog (peasouper) if in the UK cities perhaps. We'll refer to weather and rain and winter but not smogs.

If you are wanting to avoid smog then perhaps NZ is not the place for you...in Winter at least
I never , ever saw a smog in my life, not even in London where my Dad hailed from, but my Mum and Dad did when in London during the early 50's.
I do remember heavy fogs though, when there were coal fires. 1960's in the UK. After that it was smokeless fuel or else !

The use of the word smog re. England is much more a Kiwi phrase of today. It's used to denigrate England. 'Grey skies' and 'rain' are also terminology used to denigrate but are no more true of England than of NZ to be frank .
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Actually, I'm quite interested in the idea of a current London smog.
I first read that as you being quite interested in the idea of a current London Snog!!!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:06 am
`

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I first read that as you being quite interested in the idea of a current London Snog!!!!
Matey. I'm INTERESTED

don't tell husband and how are you with a slighter older woman.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:06 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

The use of the word smog re. England is much more a Kiwi phrase of today. It's used to denigrate England. 'Grey skies' and 'rain' are also terminology used to denigrate but are no more true of England than of NZ to be frank .
Perhaps you're right. I use the word to refer to a cloudless sky that is still mainly white, whereas in NZ it would be bright blue.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:11 am
`

Originally Posted by southerner
Perhaps you're right. I use the word to refer to a cloudless sky that is still mainly white, whereas in NZ it would be bright blue.
Erm. Nope-i-doo.

The blue skies of England are beautifully blue, ranging from duck egg blue to bright, blue. No clouds present.
The blue skies of NZ are bright blue . No clouds present. Sunglasses required at all times.

Matey. I'm INTERESTED

also.....

No tongues.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:11 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

In Dunedin I would suggest checking out the suburbs of Roslyn, Waverly and St Clair, also Moana Pool, botanic Gardens, the Museum, Edgar Sports Centre, Centre City New World and the George St shopping precinct, and the university area. If you're here in the weekend get the local paper and visit some open homes to give you a view on the standard and cost of housing.

Even better, let peeps know you're coming and arrange for a meet for coffee and a quick orientation tour.

Last edited by southerner; Jun 24th 2009 at 9:08 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:12 am
Here in Dunedin

Erm. Nope-i-doo.

The blue skies of England are beautifully blue...
Must be subjective then. Still most 'denigration' is.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:14 am
Here in Dunedin

Blimey - the poster of the month has sure got this thread off on a tangent.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

sjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of light

The blue skies of England are beautifully blue, ranging from duck egg blue to bright, blue. No clouds present.
And they are beautifully blue this morning!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:21 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
In Dunedin I would suggest checking out the suburbs or Roslyn, Waverly and St Clair, also Moana Pool, botanic Gardens, the Museum, Edgar Sports Centre, Centre City New World and the George St shopping precinct, and the university area. If you're here in the weekend get the local paper and visit some open homes to give you a view on the standard and cost of housing.

Even better, let peeps know you're coming and arrange for a meet for coffee and a quick orientation tour.
Hello

Thank you so much for your reply, we will add it to our list, really kind of you to post the information

J&D
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandJMay
Hello there

We are getting married in September and have been lucky enough to be given 4 weeks off of work in Jan/Feb 2010, so we are taking full advantage and going back to New Zealand.

Since it is in our minds that our future might lay on the other side of the world, we would like to divide our time between the usual tourist stuff, and also getting to know New Zealand life. The second bit is where we hope you can help us.

Although we’ll only get a very small slice of what it’s like to live in New Zealand we would like to visit some of the places it is likely we would live in order to be able to work. While there we want to see what these places are like when not wearing our ‘tourist glasses’.

So our question to you is:

Which suburbs in Auckland, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Lower & Upper Hutt, Dunedin and Christchurch should we visit.

We would like to know where do you do your food shopping, where are the sports centres you go to and where in your local area do you spend your leisure time. We don’t have children and will not be having any, so schools are not a consideration for us.

We would like to visit places like cinema’s, shopping malls and be able to check out public transport in each of he areas

We have a while to plan this but we want to make sure on this visit we a get a feel of different places before having the big conversation of do we join you all out there.

Thank you in advance

Darren and JoAnna
The best shopping mall is Queensgate in Wellington/Lower Hutt...it is better than shopping in Wellington itself because everything is in one place...even so I rarely make it out there as the cafes are way better in central Wellington.
There are also covered malls at Porirua (next best), Upper Hutt and Paraparaumu(?) (disapppointing).
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

No tongues.

Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by luvwelly
The best shopping mall is Queensgate in Wellington/Lower Hutt...it is better than shopping in Wellington itself because everything is in one place...even so I rarely make it out there as the cafes are way better in central Wellington.
There are also covered malls at Porirua (next best), Upper Hutt and Paraparaumu(?) (disapppointing).
Thank you very much for the info

J&D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.