Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Limbo-Land, next door to Loolahville

Limbo-Land, next door to Loolahville

Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Amber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really nice
Default Re: Limbo-Land, next door to Loolahville

Just out of interest...in general, how long do people reckon it's taking from EOI to visa in hand? Work visa/ spouse visa/ whatever?

We are currently trying to figure out when is a realistic time to give up our flat and move in on the Husbeast's parents...pre the Big Move. Too early and we will be taking advantage of their offer for too long...

Good news on the kids' stuff. Yours should not be far behind, surely!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:52 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amber and Chris
Just out of interest...in general, how long do people reckon it's taking from EOI to visa in hand? Work visa/ spouse visa/ whatever?

We are currently trying to figure out when is a realistic time to give up our flat and move in on the Husbeast's parents...pre the Big Move. Too early and we will be taking advantage of their offer for too long...

Good news on the kids' stuff. Yours should not be far behind, surely!
Hello,.... I thought, stupidly, that mine would be quick as have suffered being married to a Kiwi for 11 years - WRONG!!

Plus, I guess around now they are inundated with applications as lots of people want to be out there for the New Year/start of school in Feb?

We were told 2-4 months.

We were also told would be assigned Case Officer within 8 weeks - now going to be 10? But have now been told will be 1-2 months from being assigned CO mid-December. Application recived by NZIS 2nd October?! :scared:
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi all,

Having wasted time and energy on irrelevant threads and posts as my life is empty - now have a serious one for you all to contribute to!

Our situation, is in theory, straightforward.

For those of you who don't know me ... (I'm a Fairy) ... my hubby's a Kiwi and we are "going home."

This is not as easy as most think. I've still had to go down the cost of medicals and submitting reams of paperwork for Permanent Residency, but basically hubster sponsors me and off we trot.

The kids have applications in for Citizenship by descent and NZ passports.

we had to give a term's notice for the 2 eldest in September, which obviously means they have no school to go back to after Christmas. We'd hoped to be going around 22nd January.

But then we found out from NZIS that we have to wait 8 weeks to be assigned a Case Officer (Monday 27th Nov) and then it can still take 2-4 months. This we hadn't allowed for.

Now that paperwork is all in and they have my passport we're a little stuck.

Should I phone them next week and explain about the kid's school or will they just tell me to bog off as that's my problem not theirs?

Should I tell them we have family offering us employment over there and want us to start February?

Should we book flights on the assumption we'll be "good to go" by then anyway? (Actually don't answer that one, even I'm not that stupid!)

Usually I don't sweat or stress about stuff I can't control, but I am worried about the schooling situation, and I want to go NOW!!!!

Thanking you - Frustrated.
Quick update ... went on bended knee to kids' school Headmaster yesterday (thankfully he's quite attractive! ) to fill him in on timescale and how it's looking like if they leave at Christmas they'll be at home for anything up to 8 weeks before we go to NZ. He's very kindly said as long as we keep him posted they can stay on a week by week basis, within reason.

Phew - big weight off my mind.

As someone else said, you don't know unless you ask!!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:01 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update ... went on bended knee to kids' school Headmaster yesterday (thankfully he's quite attractive! ) to fill him in on timescale and how it's looking like if they leave at Christmas they'll be at home for anything up to 8 weeks before we go to NZ. He's very kindly said as long as we keep him posted they can stay on a week by week basis, within reason.

Excellent!! I know you would rather be here but at least you don't have the guilt trip about depriving them of schooling to add to your woes. See - positive thinking!!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:51 am
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute

Great news Hun - now I will get back to saying the Mantra for you

G x
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline thats Great news!

I just remembered that back in 1996 ...our kids broke up from school for summer hols, hubby then decided we'd accept job in Singapore, kids were meant to start new schools here so i cancelled that and kept them off for sept & Oct - they thought it was great fun being at home after their friends went back to school! Son started school in Singapore immediately we arrived but daughter was on waiting list for a term so I home schooled her till after xmas.
In the long run it didn't do them any harm
Old Dec 6th 2006, 1:31 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse me if i misread your msg...

as i understand it, if you ahve a job offer there is potential for you being fast tracked (couple weeks) assuming all your medicals etc are acceptable. you need to forward them a copy of the job offer and you will be brought to the front of the queue - while the rest of us plebs sit in the in-tray for four months

so you could get your family member to knock sthg up and you could get the ball rolling?

fingers crossed for you
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Excuse me if i misread your msg...

as i understand it, if you ahve a job offer there is potential for you being fast tracked (couple weeks) assuming all your medicals etc are acceptable. you need to forward them a copy of the job offer and you will be brought to the front of the queue - while the rest of us plebs sit in the in-tray for four months

so you could get your family member to knock sthg up and you could get the ball rolling?

fingers crossed for you
Were considering doing that, but as not able to even pretend to be skilled in anything other than Fairydom, which isn't on the shortage list, and rellies not being a recognised company providing migrants for shortages, unless they can prove they tried to fill a position with a native Kiwi, no can do?!

Never mind - am patiently checking email and threatening to snog postie if he brings a NZIS envelope, shouldn't be too long?! (Maybe postie has it hidden in back of van and is waiting for me to leave so he can safely deposit it in barn without threat of a snog? Hmmmm?)