Lightbulbs!

Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lightbulbs!

Just seen on teletext in UK that NZ is to stop selling regular lightbulbs from Oct 2009, to help with greenhouse effect.
Am I the only one that doesn't like the light from the energy good for us ones?? I know it will help save the planet but the light is not the same!
Oh well, small price to pay I suppose - won't stop me from wanting to come over!!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:01 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lightbulbs!

Hell really?! That's stupid.

I know because i work for a greenie hippy conservation organisation i should know more about this...but i don't.

We have a couple of rooms with ecobulbs (toilet, laundry, spare bedroom) but every other room has dimmer switches or, in the case of the kitchen, flourescent bulbs. Neither of which respond well to ecobulbs. There are apparently bulbs on the market now which work with dimmer but they can be a nightmare to find. Bunnings may sell them (a more buildery homeimprovement version of homebase) but it doesn't mean they ever have them in stock.

Not to mention the fact that our living room and lounge lights are recessed (??) into the ceiling. I have +never+ seen eco bulbs that fit those lights.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:00 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

You'll be pleased to use eco friendly bulbs when you arrive as it keeps you bills lower.

We used eco bulbs in UK for most rooms and do the same here.

Pauline
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I was grabbed by this subject as it was on national radio this morning. I sent them a quick email about my thoughts about the use of the new bulbs and they read it. So I got to make a splash in NZ.

Anyway, we have 10 of these bulbs in the house since we moved in in March, and have now had to replace four. I can't see how this will save me money as the cost of the bulbs is very high.

The real issue here that is not being addressed is that NZ is in a seious power shortage, crisis, and that tweeking solutions and niche approaches to generation will not solve the problem. Let's be clear, the problem is creating a huge ecoomic drain due to lower productivity, lower industrial development, higher costs of operation and lower employment prospects. Not to mention, people are so afraid to run their houses in a way that would raise the temperature above 16 degrees in the room they are in. It is shocking.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:23 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

The real issue here that is not being addressed is that NZ is in a seious power shortage, crisis, and that tweeking solutions and niche approaches to generation will not solve the problem. Let's be clear, the problem is creating a huge ecoomic drain due to lower productivity, lower industrial development, higher costs of operation and lower employment prospects. Not to mention, people are so afraid to run their houses in a way that would raise the temperature above 16 degrees in the room they are in. It is shocking.[/QUOTE]

Need to start thinking long term and sort the problem rather than use a band-aid to alleviate shortages. Band-aids (sticking plasters) are a short term solution to a long term problem.

Also heard that some of the eco friendly light bulbs are raising concerns due to amount of mercury being used in bulbs.

Having said that I do think the right eco friendly bulbs are good. They are supposed to last for 5-8 years depending on brand purchased. Ours back in the UK were still going strong after 8 years. Lets see how long our NZ ones last.

It's the same with the latest hit and run being blamed on drink, lets reduce the number of suppliers is the government cry. This does not solve a problem people just drive a little further. The Police have it right you need to get to the grass root of the problem, not the side effects. Another case of band-aid

Pauline
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Bakers is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Lightbulbs!

Can you use the same lightbulbs in NZ as in UK? I've got several unused eco bulbs in boxes and wondered whether it would be worth bringing them. A minor detail but having nightmares trying to decide what to bring and what to sling.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

I've used energy saver bulbs for years, even have them in bedside lamps too. We have 36 lights (!!!!!!!) in our house and it's been expensive buying them but in my experience, I'd rather have them than 'normal' bulbs - my electricity bills are a LOT lower than some of my friends' who constantly gripe about their bills.

Oh and I've had my bulbs in this house for 9 months and never needed to replace any - maybe it's the electrics in the house making them blow? Ours has had new wiring in.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The main problem I've had with these is that our house has exclusively recessed downlights, and the electronics at the base of the economy lamps seem to get cooked by the heat build-up. So I have seen quite a high failure rate, but they probably still last long enough to recoup the costs. Even the reflector-type economy bulbs, which should be designed for recessed lights, seem to fail more often than they should. I'm still sticking with them though because between the various living spaces, kitchen and hallways in our house - where we tend to leave lights on - there are sixteen downlights - so that's well over a kilowatt if using standard 75w bulbs.
To answer some of the other points made:
- apparently there are dimmer-friendly versions coming out soon
- you don't need to replace existing fluorescent lights, because an economy bulb is exactly that - a Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL)
- UK ones will work fine over here, but I have noticed more screw-thread fittings than in UK
NZ should get on and build some more hydro dams though
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:48 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bakers
Can you use the same lightbulbs in NZ as in UK? I've got several unused eco bulbs in boxes and wondered whether it would be worth bringing them. A minor detail but having nightmares trying to decide what to bring and what to sling.

Yes you can.

I was a tight arse when we left ( that and the fact I felt they had bought our house at a bargain price ) and went round and replaced all my ecobulbs with normal bayonets
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Well, our house is brand new here in Rangiora. I really like the water pressure, maybe the electriciy is flowing a little too much for our bulbs.

Hopefully they last longer in the future.

I won't buy bulbs from the lighting store down on Manchester Street at the Moorehouse end, I think it is Lighting plus.

The bulbs do have mercury in them, but it seems that you can just throw them out instead of putting them in a special bucket at the transfer station like batteries.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Bakers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Yes you can.

I was a tight arse when we left ( that and the fact I felt they had bought our house at a bargain price ) and went round and replaced all my ecobulbs with normal bayonets
Cheers Kev&sarah - I think I'm a tightarse too but the message seems to be to bring everything so that's what I plan to do!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:45 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bakers
Cheers Kev&sarah - I think I'm a tightarse too but the message seems to be to bring everything so that's what I plan to do!!

You're a quick learner!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey, Countdown and Woolworths have a five pack of eco bulbs on for $10 this week.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by howden40
heard that some of the eco friendly light bulbs are raising concerns due to amount of mercury being used in bulbs.
I heard this too, so we save the planet with one hand and kill it with the other
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

If our bills go up any more in UK, think I might be raiding the crayon cupboard at school, making candles and using those instead!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.