Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Life's simple pleasures

Life's simple pleasures

Old Dec 31st 2006, 8:35 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life's simple pleasures

Thre are some things in life that cost nothing at all and bring joy to your day. The sun glistening on the dew caught in a cobweb, listening to your children playing in the paddling pool. Silly names you call each other. 'Our' tune... the list is endless.
One of my favourites was listening to the 'cradle roll' in church - every time the Minister got to the 'the lord bless you and keep you and make his countenance to shine upon you and give you peace' - my words don't do it justice - a feeling of calm and peace pervaded everything - you just can't buy that.
My son's favorite word for months 'piss-weasel': every time he said it I was in kinks and he was about 19 at the time
Got any you would care to share...
(please post something or I am going to feel really sad and lonely!!)
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:29 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life's simple pleasures

Originally Posted by karonious
Thre are some things in life that cost nothing at all and bring joy to your day.
How true. For me, it's the little things that make life worth living:

The refreshing feeling of breathing in fresh air and feeling it blowing around my face on a windy (but ideally sunny) day whilst out walking in the countryside.

The pleasant calm and peaceful environment that takes over the house once the children are asleep. Such a contrast to the hour before this happens!

The first cup of fresh coffee every morning. Although I wish the taste lived up to the smell.

Singing (badly) to our favourite tunes whilst out driving in the car. Some of which make us feel really old ("is this song really 20 years old?!", when we're 'only' 35).

My youngest daughter telling my daily how she 'loves me so much' and how I'm the best mummy in the world (which sadly I'm not, but she doesn't know that ).

The comfort, smell and warmth of having a real fire.

Candles. Especially vanilla scented ones. They make rooms look so warm & welcoming.

The pictures the children draw for me on a daily basis.

The enjoyment I get from magazines and galaxy chocolate (not free, but not extravagent either).

Mulled wine at Christmas. Lovely to drink and smell around the house.

And my all time favourite - the night sky. Heaps better in NZ, but a reliving of childhood memories in the Middle East & Africa.

Oh I feel great now! Thanks Karen.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:37 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
How true. For me, it's the little things that make life worth living:

The refreshing feeling of breathing in fresh air and feeling it blowing around my face on a windy (but ideally sunny) day whilst out walking in the countryside.

The pleasant calm and peaceful environment that takes over the house once the children are asleep. Such a contrast to the hour before this happens!

The first cup of fresh coffee every morning. Although I wish the taste lived up to the smell.

Singing (badly) to our favourite tunes whilst out driving in the car. Some of which make us feel really old ("is this song really 20 years old?!", when we're 'only' 35).

My youngest daughter telling my daily how she 'loves me so much' and how I'm the best mummy in the world (which sadly I'm not, but she doesn't know that ).

The comfort, smell and warmth of having a real fire.

Candles. Especially vanilla scented ones. They make rooms look so warm & welcoming.

The pictures the children draw for me on a daily basis.

The enjoyment I get from magazines and galaxy chocolate (not free, but not extravagent either).

Mulled wine at Christmas. Lovely to drink and smell around the house.

And my all time favourite - the night sky. Heaps better in NZ, but a reliving of childhood memories in the Middle East & Africa.

Oh I feel great now! Thanks Karen.

Thank you - so glad you understand what I meant.

Another one of mine... when I lived on the coast, even the simple enjoyment of seeing the sea as I drove to work - good for the soul - one of life's simple pleasures.
Every time I look at at my 20 year old photo of my sons - Life's simple pleasures...
Old Dec 31st 2006, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Looking at the children when they are asleep (usually in each others beds)
Hearing our children laughing
Spending time with my friends, wherever.
Spending time with my family, particularly my brothers and their children.
Going to the beach, even in the winter.
Looking at old photos.
All those stories that start with "remember when..."
Getting a foot rub from Danny when I really need it (every night then)
Listening to good music.
Reading a great book.
Sitting round the dinner table with family and friends, eating, drinking and laughing.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly drinking.
I love it when the kids are singing in the back of the car,unaware they're being listened to.
I hate rubbing Donna's foot,but like the way it makes her feel ok.
I like turning a corner you've never turned before-to be greeted by something totally pleasant but unexpected-Trevi Fountain,driving in the Lakes or NZ.
Agree with old photos-especially old people with something interesting to say.
The night before you go somewhere far-that is boss-and the kids faces when they get up.
Finding a tenner in your back pocket.
Changing your clothes when you're soaking wet.
Orgasms.
Friends,meeting up,catching up.
Meeting someone new.
Either scoring a goal,or watching your team do it.
Orgasms.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life's simple pleasures

Agreed...............Orgasms!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:22 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Mainly drinking.

Orgasms.
Life wouldn't be worth living without those two pleasures would it

I love the smell in the hot summer just after a rain storm, it smells so earthy and fresh.
Watching little children and how funny they are
The dew on spiders webs and the smell of a brand new fresh autumn morning.
Thunder storms and the feeling of excitement during them.
Walking on the Yorkshire moors and listening to the silence , the birdsong and breathing in the comforting warm almost honey like smell of the heather.
Mashed potato
Pie and peas after a boozy night out.

Can think of loads more
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 6:28 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing a baby being born & a couple become a family

Also drinking & orgasms (I'm basically very shallow )
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:30 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Life wouldn't be worth living without those two pleasures would it

I love the smell in the hot summer just after a rain storm, it smells so earthy and fresh.
Watching little children and how funny they are
The dew on spiders webs and the smell of a brand new fresh autumn morning.
Thunder storms and the feeling of excitement during them.
Walking on the Yorkshire moors and listening to the silence , the birdsong and breathing in the comforting warm almost honey like smell of the heather.
Mashed potato
Pie and peas after a boozy night out.

Can think of loads more
Sky - these are truly truly great! Except for mashed potato, I used to hate it as a child (the smallest lump would make me gag big time), now I do occasionally enjoy it, but am slightly haunted by the childhood memories you see. Heaps of butter does make it rather yummy though and I do mean a LOT.

Anyhow, you reminded me of another favourite one that again stems back to childhood - being out in the rain (when it's not too cold). This comes from years sepnt in the Middle East when as children we would run around madly outside when it rained (it was probably only an anuual event), then put our swimsuits on and go swimming in the (complex) pool. It was so fantastic. Partly just for what it was and partly for the comparatively cool afternoon that followed.

For those that find this strange, think people (kiwis) seeing snow for the first time. I can still remember the first time my now husband saw snow many years ago in the UK when it used to really snow. Now we just get pathetic nonsense (in the South anyhow) that we really struggle to make snowmen out of. Kids still think it's great though, but I remember the most fantastic neighbourhood snowball fight about 20 years ago now (yikes!) when we had at least a foot of snow all over our garden that fell in one afternoon. It was great, but very cold! And everything was so incredibly beautiful before the dirty mush stage!

Must go be a good mother now....Happy 2007 everyone!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

The smell of freshly cut grass... also the smell of sweet hay.
Just being with my son.... looking at his little perfect face... watching him smile and play and learn something new.
Hugging my horse and being hugged back in a horsey way.
The colour of the sea here, different every day and I hope I never get fed up of these views.
Watching my OH bomb over the road when the Fire Siren goes off..... he totally loves what he does.... feel very proud of him.
Having a good book to read.
Chatting with friends.

I'm sure I could go on and on with this for ages but I'll stop it here!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:08 am
conquering the world!

How about:
hot buttered toast.
being in bed all cosy with the covers pulled up to your nose and the rain is thundering down on the roof and you don't have to be up early.
being told 'I love you'
getting on the scales and weighing less than you feared.
kittens.
watching your children perform in their school play/concert/sports day and your heart could burst with pride and love.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 2:53 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Watching my little girls sleeping
2. Getting a cuddle and a kiss from my children - without prompting!
3. Watching telly with eldest daughter (2 and 9 months), and you suddenly realise she has her hand on your arm and she is gently stroking it
4. The smell in the air when rain is on its way
5. Freshly mown grass
6. The smell of a sea breeze
7. A well written song with a great melody that you can sing from the heart
8. Carrying a baby and giving birth - yeh its bloody painful but knowing there is a life within if just the most special thing in the world
9. Looking down and seeing your baby suckling from you. That bond can never be broken
10. Waking up each morning and being alive, warm, fed and loved
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 3:17 pm
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Agreed...............Orgasms!
are they that type of nz ostrich with the big purple thingy
on their heads ??

never seen one in real life !
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 4:13 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Dreamfish, completely agree about everything!

I love the look on my 5-year old daughter's face when she excuses herself after burping. She's such a cheeky little minx!

The smell of fresh cut grass

The sound of the ocean - I miss the sea so badly!

There are tons more, but it's back to work right now.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Just being here, right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.