Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Level of Schooling

Level of Schooling

Old May 1st 2007, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Level of Schooling

I've just read an 'An Interview with ... SarahB in New Zealand ' and she says that

"having spoken to British friends who’ve moved here they say that their children are now very much behind their UK counterparts even after having been here a relatively short time. Several people have said that to me."

Does anyone know about this or can confirm or refute this comment?

I personally haven't heard anything other that what she has stated above so cant really comment. What I'm concerned about, is one of the main factors for us emigrating to NZ is so that our daughters will have a better life, education and be able to live where they want( well almost).

I know they go to school longer, until their nineteen or soemthing like that.
Old May 1st 2007, 11:51 am
Just Joined

to return or not will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Level of Schooling

Originally Posted by julesnye
I've just read an 'An Interview with ... SarahB in New Zealand ' and she says that

"having spoken to British friends who’ve moved here they say that their children are now very much behind their UK counterparts even after having been here a relatively short time. Several people have said that to me."

Does anyone know about this or can confirm or refute this comment?

I personally haven't heard anything other that what she has stated above so cant really comment. What I'm concerned about, is one of the main factors for us emigrating to NZ is so that our daughters will have a better life, education and be able to live where they want( well almost).

I know they go to school longer, until their nineteen or soemthing like that.
Hi... am new to this forum, so not sure if there has been any posting with regards to your query, but I've also compared the level of schooling of 8 yr old children here with my family's and friends' children back home (in my case Holland) and it looks like it is indeed quite behind... Not sure what the level in the UK is, but reading and writing for example is quite bad over here compared to those in Holland... :-(
Old May 1st 2007, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

is this also for the private schools...not that I can afford to send them anyway?
Old May 1st 2007, 11:58 am
Just Joined

to return or not will become famous soon enough

is this also for the private schools...not that I can afford to send them anyway?
Am not sure, because I've not really looked into it... It was just an observation I made from the people around me...

How old are your children? I know that early childhood services (well at least those my boys going to) are pretty good...

Here is a link that may help you out...

http://www.ero.govt.nz/ero/publishin...tent/Home+Page

Need to to sleep now as my 5 month old may wake up in a couple of hours...:-)
Old May 1st 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

You have to be able to take on objective measure of the ciriculam and see what is to be achieved at each year in each system. It is hard to make comments about what is better, who is ahead and behind. We landed 8 months ago and I quite like the school my kids are in. It has a great reputation. The school has good academics, sports and music. A very nice school. You have to understand that schools here are businesses. Reputation is everything. Schools want more pupils and want a good reputation, especially here in the north west part of Chch. Read the ERO reports for schools you might like. Then having selected a few schools, investigate the area and see about renting there. Once your kids are in, you can then move and drive the kids to school if needed. For high schools, you need to be selective about what is best for your child. I have friends who use private schools and plan on it, but I don't believe it is worth the money. The best thing is to have a supportive and positive home life for kids.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

We find the schooling different but not a great deal. My son's spelling tests are way easier here for example but their homework is much more interesting and involves the family eg watch an international news programme with an adult and summarise the headline, use measurements to make / bake something, read to a sibling etc and the kids enjoy school much more. Loads more sports too. The kids here don't start school until their 5th birthday which could be why some of the work seems behind and our kids are in mixed year classes ie my son is in a year 3 / 4 class and my daughter a year 6 / 7 class. The teachers seem to adapt to their ability but that could just be the teachers. Send SarahB a PM and ask her to elaborate, I'm sure she wouldn't mind.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with the above post very much. In Canada, our kids started at four, but went for half days and for the next year too. Then, after these two years of kindergarten, they started full days. Here in NZ, they go full days from their fifth birthday. You can put the small ones in Kindy, but you will have to pay.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks, can2nz, donnaf and 2 return or not.
How does one PM SarahB and who might she be?
Ta.
Julesnye
Old May 1st 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
We find the schooling different but not a great deal. My son's spelling tests are way easier here for example but their homework is much more interesting and involves the family eg watch an international news programme with an adult and summarise the headline, use measurements to make / bake something, read to a sibling etc and the kids enjoy school much more. Loads more sports too. The kids here don't start school until their 5th birthday which could be why some of the work seems behind and our kids are in mixed year classes ie my son is in a year 3 / 4 class and my daughter a year 6 / 7 class. The teachers seem to adapt to their ability but that could just be the teachers. Send SarahB a PM and ask her to elaborate, I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

The problem is that there is a general lack of understanding of the written English, spelling, punctuation etc in the UK now, and I know from all of our family in NZ that it is even worse. I think it is great that they have to read to a sibling etc but there needs to be hard spelling tests so that they learn. It did us no harm and the decline in the written and spoken English is appalling in my opinion. Children text speak these days without even really learning the basics that I think are vital. Also not sure what they will learn on the International News in NZ!!! not really known for its best coverage of the news!!!! Also I feel there is too much emphasis on sport in NZ. Not many people are going to be able to make a living from sport when they are 40 years old paying bills and looking after a family. I would rather my child was being taught things she will need. Like how to spell, write a letter etc etc.

I am a parent but no children at school in NZ so before anyone says that I have no right to reply to this, I have 6 nieces/nephews in NZ in school and my husband is a Kiwi. This is a subject very dear to his families hearts, which is why they generally all were educated privately. However that was not that great either, sport seemed to be the emphasis there and my OH hated sport!
Old May 1st 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
The problem is that there is a general lack of understanding of the written English, spelling, punctuation etc in the UK now, and I know from all of our family in NZ that it is even worse. I think it is great that they have to read to a sibling etc but there needs to be hard spelling tests so that they learn. It did us no harm and the decline in the written and spoken English is appalling in my opinion. Children text speak these days without even really learning the basics that I think are vital. Also not sure what they will learn on the International News in NZ!!! not really known for its best coverage of the news!!!! Also I feel there is too much emphasis on sport in NZ. Not many people are going to be able to make a living from sport when they are 40 years old paying bills and looking after a family. I would rather my child was being taught things she will need. Like how to spell, write a letter etc etc.

I am a parent but no children at school in NZ so before anyone says that I have no right to reply to this, I have 6 nieces/nephews in NZ in school and my husband is a Kiwi. This is a subject very dear to his families hearts, which is why they generally all were educated privately. However that was not that great either, sport seemed to be the emphasis there and my OH hated sport!
I'm being open minded about the education in NZ, i've heard good things and i've heard bad things. I hope the NZ education if it is bad, isn't blind to the fact, but then i also think, there working with what they know works. It's the all round product at the end of the day that leaves school whether it be at 16, 17 or 23. The Uk might have better education but all i hear and see is classes full to 30 kids per class, teachers going sick and GCSE's thrown at kids for just turning up and meaning nothing. More and more kids in the UK see that in order to get anywhere in the world they need a degree and with that for most comes a £20k student loan.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I firmly believe that we are making the right decision. Precisely based on things you say Simonmarkellis. It can't be any worse.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I'm being open minded about the education in NZ, i've heard good things and i've heard bad things. I hope the NZ education if it is bad, isn't blind to the fact, but then i also think, there working with what they know works. It's the all round product at the end of the day that leaves school whether it be at 16, 17 or 23. The Uk might have better education but all i hear and see is classes full to 30 kids per class, teachers going sick and GCSE's thrown at kids for just turning up and meaning nothing. More and more kids in the UK see that in order to get anywhere in the world they need a degree and with that for most comes a £20k student loan.

I never said that the education in the UK is better, my point was really that easier home work etc in NZ is not actually a good thing. I think the education system is failing in the UK, which is why i will take on a second job if I have to to send my daughter to private school. THe same applies if I were in NZ.

Sometimes I hear people saying on here that they want a better education for their kids and that is their reason for moving to NZ. Well I personally don't think they will get a better education and if they do get onto degree stage, NZ has not a huge amount of opportunities for young people after graduation. A lot flee to UK/Aussie etc to find the career they want but to do that they are going to need a degree and they will leave NZ with high student loans also.

Unless you have the next David Beckham on your hands, then a lot of sport at school is really not going to help long term. I think physical education is very very important for the minds and health of the young but not in place of actual education.

I also think that as parents we could be doing more about our childrens general education. I feel this is the main reason there is such a decline in standards actually, especially in the UK.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I firmly believe that we are making the right decision. Precisely based on things you say Simonmarkellis. It can't be any worse.
Well you wouldnt base your decision on education anyway would you? That is not reason enough for leaving the UK and you wont find anything 100% better in NZ. As I said on my last post, education is as much the parents responsibility as it is the state's so I am sure your children will be fine. Good luck with the move.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

that is part of the reason for our decision, but there are so many others as well. We believe the education system in the UK has sadly gone beyond listening or even caring. So there is only so much you can do as a parent if the entire system is failing.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

that is part of the reason for our decision, but there are so many others as well. We believe the education system in the UK has sadly gone beyond listening or even caring. So there is only so much you can do as a parent if the entire system is failing.
well if that is a large part of your decision then I am not sure that I could say that you would be making the best move, have you done a lot of research into the NZ school system? Where are you planning on going in NZ? This will have a large baring on what you find. .... Its quite an extreme length to go to to find a good school!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.