Learning Maori

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Maori

Originally Posted by karonious
Gracious..people, I think you have got the wrong idea here.....I just meant as Steve is a superb ironer that if I could plug him into the mains he would perform even better...
I'm just misunderstood I tell you

how will he perform better with an iron stuck up his bum , poor man, but hey what ever tirns you on
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:17 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
how will he perform better with an iron stuck up his bum , poor man, but hey what ever tirns you on
The amount of starch he uses - has a lovely crease and stands up of its own accord (the ironing of course...)
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of starch he uses - has a lovely crease and stands up of its own accord (the ironing of course...)

dear god woman don't say things like that i nearky spat me tea out on the laptop
i'm off shopping tomorrow maybe i'll get some starch ................ for my ironing of course
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:21 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

dear god woman don't say things like that i nearky spat me tea out on the laptop
i'm off shopping tomorrow maybe i'll get some starch ................ for my ironing of course
Comes throughly.......recommended
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Comes throughly.......recommended

but how does he feel about the crease
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:29 pm
conquering the world!

but how does he feel about the crease

Says it's a pain in the arse!!!
(shall we carry on with this in the Bar? I think we have hijacked long enough )
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:30 pm
conquering the world!

Says it's a pain in the arse!!!
(shall we carry on with this in the Bar? I think we have hijacked long enough )
Sorry, to return to the reason for the thread....you can finish a conversation the same way as you start it, with

Kia Ora
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:32 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
I just wanna be able to pronounce place names without looking like a total plonker or insulting someone!!!

You are really are going for a complete life change then Dave?

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
You are really are going for a complete life change then Dave?

Numpty!

Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanna be able to pronounce place names without looking like a total plonker or insulting someone!!!

You won't! It doesn't matter one jot how you pronounce the names, because hardly anbody else can either. Most will pronounce things the way that they know it, with differerent stresses on different vowels, even newsreaders, weather forecasters and radio presenters will pronounce the same place differently. You can have a three way conversation and all three people will be talking about the same place, e.g. Whangerei (Fanger-ray, Fonger-ay or Wonger-ay) and all of them will pronounce it differently. Most Kiwis of European descent, especially older ones make no allowance for Maori pronounciations and if you are in any doubt and dont want to sound like a tit, just say it as you think it sounds; people will still know what you mean.

We had a huge debate in our office the other day on how to say the word Powhiri, I know it as Po-fe-ree (not unlike Pot Pourri) but not one of them said it the way I had been taught and some of them just sounded downright ignorant; as if they were deliberately pronouncing it wrongly or couldn't care a less anyway.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You won't! It doesn't matter one jot how you pronounce the names, because hardly anbody else can either. Most will pronounce things the way that they know it, with differerent stresses on different vowels, even newsreaders, weather forecasters and radio presenters will pronounce the same place differently. You can have a three way conversation and all three people will be talking about the same place, e.g. Whangerei (Fanger-ray, Fonger-ay or Wonger-ay) and all of them will pronounce it differently. Most Kiwis of European descent, especially older ones make no allowance for Maori pronounciations and if you are in any doubt and dont want to sound like a tit, just say it as you think it sounds; people will still know what you mean.

We had a huge debate in our office the other day on how to say the word Powhiri, I know it as Po-fe-ree (not unlike Pot Pourri) but not one of them said it the way I had been taught and some of them just sounded downright ignorant; as if they were deliberately pronouncing it wrongly or couldn't care a less anyway.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
...and what about Otahuhu? I've never heard it pronounced the same way twice. Some people say it as its spelt. I was taught to say O-tar-a-hoo.... when I worked there..... but actually its supposed to be said Aw-tah-hoo-hoo with the stress on the tah.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SarahB
...and what about Otahuhu? I've never heard it pronounced the same way twice. Some people say it as its spelt. I was taught to say O-tar-a-hoo.... when I worked there..... but actually its supposed to be said Aw-tah-hoo-hoo with the stress on the tah.

On the radio traffic news they say ORRRRR TAH HA HOOOOOO and most 'everyday' people say Ode-ahoo.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
On the radio traffic news they say ORRRRR TAH HA HOOOOOO and most 'everyday' people say Ode-ahoo.
lol.... it just gets worse the more you try saying it!! I'll just give up gracefully and avoid saying it.