Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Last one out..lights out please.

Last one out..lights out please.

Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last one out..lights out please.

A survey has deduced that one in ten NZ voters wants to go to Oz.

Citing that the NZ 'way of life' (worsening of violence, drugs, gangs, etc, etc one assumes) has detiriorated so much, added to the huge increase in the cost of living (an identical basket of goods costs over 28% extra 12 months on:curse.

Our local rates have gone up 12%. Petrol is going to have another hefty govt. tax put on it...I do love NZ....but at this rate we will all be on the bones of our arses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will a new administration help do you think?

Lets face it the more people leave NZ the less demand for houses, further lowering their prices. I heard that UK numbers of emigrees is down from 15k p/a to about 11k.

However residents and citizens from other counties world wide have their sights set on kiwiland..thank God someone wants to come here.

Who will I chat to down the pub???

Just a bit of good, honest factual stuff (apparently) that you need to think about.

Still love NZ inspite of all the above. Long, long way to go before I call Pickfords again!!!!!!!!!!

I know you can't eat empty beaches or spend low density population..but the aforementioned make all the shite a bit easier to bear.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 3:34 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last one out..lights out please.

Originally Posted by Genesis
added to the huge increase in the cost of living (an identical basket of goods costs over 28% extra 12 months on:curse.
Although inflation is only running at 3-4% so presumably the cost of TVs, iPods, cars, property and everything else must be coming down a lot.

Could be (I think) that supermarkets have been price gouging so they can afford to give away all these petrol vouchers.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 3:48 am
Just Joined

wildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant future

Well Im glad its not just my imagination that my shopping bill has gone up and Im not buying luxury items every week. I am more concious about what I spend at the supermarket now. That along with petrol means that the small rise we got at work has only just got us back to where we were before!!!
Its very hard when you have kids and a mortgage, like you said you cant live the dream with no $$$$..
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Me & a few friends are going to try jolly hard to get rid of Helen . Anyone else up for it?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

Petrol going up in NZ! I have just been to fill my car up here in the UK and stopped when it got to £55. A year ago it used to take £40 to fill it. £1.18p a litre now for diesel and £1.12p for unleaded.
A decent pint of beer is now £2.20p a pint and fags are £5.50 a pack.
And you wonder why we still want to come to NZ.
Dom, i will still sit with you in the pub mate.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Even if everyone does go to Oz, they cannot escape what is a worldwide crisis and I don't really think Oz is any better placed than NZ if things get really serious. Heck, they've been having enough drought problems over the past year or more and come the day when there is no oil and no food, Ozzie wouldn't be my choice of somewhere to be self sufficient.

A whole gamut of issues around the world seem to be all coming to fruition at the same time, it's all been talked about for a long time and now it is happening. Oil prices are a worldwide issue and we've always been warned to take heed of those huge emerging economies, who can't produce enough to feed themselves, such as China and India. They're growing rapidly and importing foods bigtime, putting huge pressure on world commodity prices. The Chinese have discovered a liking for dairy foods, which is keeping NZ farmers pockets lined and pushing up our local prices.

It comes to something when the cheapest most basic foods such as wheat and rice which feed the world are in short supply. Per capita output of cereals (wheat and rice) at present is more or less at the level that prevailed in the 1970s, whist populations have grown by god alone knows how many. Meanwhile, Europe and America is rapidly turning every piece of farmland possible over to growing bio-fuel, which means there are fewer crops grown for food and animal feeds.

It's worldwide chaos and it can only get worse.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Me & a few friends are going to try jolly hard to get rid of Helen . Anyone else up for it?

I have always been a labour voter. Enough is enough. We just need a change. Anyone will do aye??

Do you think we could persuade Rudd to come over? I like the cut of his jib. I would be happy with a new leader meself.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:46 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I have always been a labour voter. Enough is enough. We just need a change. Anyone will do aye??

Do you think we could persuade Rudd to come over? I like the cut of his jib. I would be happy with a new leader meself.
K Rudd.

Just something about his name...
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
K Rudd.

Just something about his name...

Snigger, snigger.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:21 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Snigger, snigger.
Can't imagine what, though, for the life of me! *polishes halo*
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:36 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Yep
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Yep
Excellent, that makes 5 of us then , it's looking good already
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:46 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

1 in 10 less cars on the road - sweet as!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:31 am
Maz

Originally Posted by asiatic
1 in 10 less cars on the road - sweet as!
Heh... I like that idea! Quite horrified already that there are over 4 million people in NZ. Then I take a reality check and remember that the population here would fit into Chicagoland two and a half times! And I don't feel so cramped.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcoltom
Petrol going up in NZ! I have just been to fill my car up here in the UK and stopped when it got to £55. A year ago it used to take £40 to fill it. £1.18p a litre now for diesel and £1.12p for unleaded.
A decent pint of beer is now £2.20p a pint and fags are £5.50 a pack.
And you wonder why we still want to come to NZ.
Dom, i will still sit with you in the pub mate.
This is damn right. I think many countries are on their arse right now, so imagine all the things listed and over populated, no beaches etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.