Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are Kiwis different to us Brits?

Are Kiwis different to us Brits?

Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

yick pie eater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are Kiwis different to us Brits?

Hello Everyone,

Having been in NZ since October living in Palmerston North and working here I have started to notice the Kiwis are not the same as the Brits. I cant put my finger on it, maybe its the x factor...?.

At first i thought it was just me but then my partner and other Pommys started to make reference to it too.

Has anybody noticed any differences and can you be more specific than I am?

To me their sense of humour is different and their personality appears quite stunted.....
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are Kiwis different to us Brits?

Originally Posted by yick pie eater
Hello Everyone,

Having been in NZ since October living in Palmerston North and working here I have started to notice the Kiwis are not the same as the Brits. I cant put my finger on it, maybe its the x factor...?.

At first i thought it was just me but then my partner and other Pommys started to make reference to it too.

To me their sense of humour is different and their personality appears quite stunted.....
Gedda away with ya? who would have thought.... let us know if ya need a lift to the airport.....luv.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:09 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek
Gedda away with ya? who would have thought.... let us know if ya need a lift to the airport.....luv.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:11 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek

And with you on this Dewb...
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

We could start a list for you if it helps - -but one thing that may help is....................that they are from New Zealand and ermmmmm you aren't
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:25 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Hello Everyone,

Sense of humor is different.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

I think most of the world has a different humour to us. And I do miss that great British banter. Also I think that beneath the exterior, most Kiwis are very shy.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
I think most of the world has a different humour to us. And I do miss that great British banter. Also I think that beneath the exterior, most Kiwis are very shy.
Not met my family then...
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Would I want to?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:05 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in OZ a number of years this comment could equally be applied to them, tho they are much more in your face about it. In fairness to everyone, I think it true that we all have our own personalities and ways of expression, but that the environment we grow up in (and what we experience) does influence us to some extent.

I read somewhere that Kiwis tend to take things literally and don't get different shades of humour. After a (humourous) comment I made to my adult daughter recently, and the misunderstanding that ensued, I'm afraid I have to give this theory some validity.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:56 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
After a (humourous) comment I made to my adult daughter recently, and the misunderstanding that ensued, I'm afraid I have to give this theory some validity.
Share ...
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:05 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone,

Agree but then again I know some Brits who have no humour or personality so it applies everwhere!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:47 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Kiwis are not the same as the Brits.

actually, NO-ONE on the planet are the same as the Brits. Get used to it.
I love the Brits and their sense of humour (it's unique!), and it took me a few years to get into the British psyche when we first moved to the UK, but that applies for people all over, not just in the UK.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

yick pie eater is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to the last few entrys who made a decent insight into it and not so much to the buffoons at the start of the thread in their response to my reasonable question.

I do think there a some differences between us and agree that not all people are the same. As they said in the Life of Brian "your all individuals....except me".
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 6:46 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone,

THEY DONT WASH!
Just jesting before anyone has a go - my partner is a Kiwi and I wash him every day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.