British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kitesurfing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kitesurfing-727717/)

Kiteboy Aug 7th 2011 5:02 am

Kitesurfing

Hey
Is there any Kite surfers on here from the Auckland area. I've just got my kitesurfing kit from the UK & am keen to get to know some people.

Owen

martyc Aug 7th 2011 6:29 am

Re: Kitesurfing

Good luck with your search.

I'm not sure that a kite would surf with me on it.:unsure:

sirplug Aug 7th 2011 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Kiteboy (Post 9542452)
Hey
Is there any Kite surfers on here from the Auckland area. I've just got my kitesurfing kit from the UK & am keen to get to know some people.

Owen

Head to Orewa. There are loads there that do the sport, the beach is ideal. There's a kite surfing shop next to the beach, they'll put you in touch with a few people.

P18PPS Aug 7th 2011 8:05 am

They were all out on St Heliers Beach today, we've counted unto 30 at anyone time!

lardyl Aug 7th 2011 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 9542526)
Head to Orewa. There are loads there that do the sport, the beach is ideal. There's a kite surfing shop next to the beach, they'll put you in touch with a few people.

+1 :thumbup:

annabel1 Aug 8th 2011 10:06 pm

Hi Lardyl

We are arriving in Auckland on 1st Sept and both kutesurf. On previous tips to Auckland we've been out at Cheltenham beach and Orewa which were good.
We will have a little wait for all our gear to arrive before we get out on the waves, I'm just hoping I'm not too rusty by the time my wetsuit goes on again !
Do keep us posted on any good spots you find

lardyl Aug 9th 2011 4:21 am

Originally Posted by annabel1 (Post 9545716)
......Do keep us posted on any good spots you find

Sorry, I don't kitesurf but I live next to Red Beach and overlook Orewa beach so I can see the people who do and there are often plenty of them.

Red Beach is good for skim boarding at low tide though.

Enjoy your trip over and the kitesurfing :thumbup:

annabel1 Aug 9th 2011 5:21 am

Oooppss ! Should have said kiteboy ! !

I do envy the sound of your spot at red beach, sounds ace. I do like the peninsula but it is just a bit too far for us for work, so have got a spot at half moon bay !

Laura_and_Steve Oct 31st 2011 1:34 am

I know this thread started a while ago but just wanted to ask about the kitesurfing.

My partner and I landed from UK about 4 weeks ago and currently living at St Heliers. We are waiting for our kite stuff to be delivered via shipment so have a few more weeks yet until we can start kiting:unsure:. We have seen the kites up on Kohimarama and St Heliers so cannot wait!!:thumbsup:

We would love to meet a few friends and obviously fellow kiters would be great to meet up with - please let me know if you fancy a meet up near St Heliers, or we could travel, to see what's happening with kiting in this area.

Thanks guys,
Laura & Steve