Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just starting out....

Just starting out....

Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Squ-wirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just starting out....

My fiance and I have been mulling over the idea of emigrating to NZ for about a year now and some bad news we received recently has spurred us on to pack up here and ship out (pending getting a visa obviously!!)

So. We're doing our research and have printed off every form under the sun that we need to complete and are just starting to put pen to paper on the EOI form. We're both social workers so are applying under the 'Skilled Migrant' category and have worked out that we have way over the 140 points needed to be automatically selected to get into the pool - a good start we hope!!

We're not sure where we would like to move to - probably the 'north island' but we're not sure really.

If anyone has any words of wisdom for us having already gone through the process then we'd be so grateful! It's such a mamouth decision to make and will mean more upheaval than I think I can cope with but I'm certain that we'll be doing the right thing.

I look forward to posting our progress on here and picking people's brains for advice - and hopefully, before too long, shouting from the rooftops - WE'VE BEEN APPROVED!!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Just starting out....

Originally Posted by Squ-wirrel
My fiance and I have been mulling over the idea of emigrating to NZ for about a year now and some bad news we received recently has spurred us on to pack up here and ship out (pending getting a visa obviously!!)

So. We're doing our research and have printed off every form under the sun that we need to complete and are just starting to put pen to paper on the EOI form. We're both social workers so are applying under the 'Skilled Migrant' category and have worked out that we have way over the 140 points needed to be automatically selected to get into the pool - a good start we hope!!

We're not sure where we would like to move to - probably the 'north island' but we're not sure really.

If anyone has any words of wisdom for us having already gone through the process then we'd be so grateful! It's such a mamouth decision to make and will mean more upheaval than I think I can cope with but I'm certain that we'll be doing the right thing.

I look forward to posting our progress on here and picking people's brains for advice - and hopefully, before too long, shouting from the rooftops - WE'VE BEEN APPROVED!!
Good luck with your plans its an emotional rolacoaster going through the process but worth it when you get those stickers in your passport!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

vicvic26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We have just submitted our EOI. We have two children 5 and 3 and my husband is an Electrician. We were thinking Canterbury area. The next year is going to be a rollercoaster of events,
If anyone knows any electricians who have just emigrated, let us know,
Thanks
Vicky
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome.
It can be a long journey but is well worth it.
Good Luck with your plans.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi and welcome to this little NZ forum.

If anyone has any words of wisdom for us having already gone through the process then we'd be so grateful
I'm going to move your thread into the main NZ forum . That way if there are any wise NZ BE members out there , you might just catch one.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

I can give you my opinion, which is likely to be contradicted by others.

However, I say stick to the main cities. After Auckland they're pretty small in any case, but they have life, arts, imports, facilities and a population that's a good mix of Kiwis and expats and itinerants, so it's much easier to make friends and contacts.

There are a many stories of brits coming over and feeling isolated or unable to make friends, particularly in the smaller towns and villages.

Looking at a map of NZ you can get a very wrong idea of scale. The big cities are many hours drive apart (9 between Welly and Auckland, 5 between Dunedin and Christchurch). You can choose a provincial town and be a long way from a vibrant social life. (if that's your thing - on the other hand you may crave isolation)

But the bigger centres are great. Beautiful, friendly, clean, safe, good schools etc (All great apart from the road accidents and the mould infested houses that is.. but check out some of the other posts for information about these things).
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Being the total jafa that I am... i'm scared of all other North Island towns. I can handle welly, palmy and wangas...oh and hamiltron and the mount but that would be the limit )
I love Auckland. For me...even thought it;s the biggest city it seems like a seaside place as there's so much water. Like living on an island with the benefits of motorways and no need for a boat.

There a pretty beaches, moody beaches, kiddy beaches, fishy beaches.
Jobs galore, decent coffee, cultural mix and great entertainment

Certainly a good place to start IMHO
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:29 am
Just Joined

kepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant future

Hi Squ-Wirrel - good luck with your application - North Island is a great choice.

If you are both planning to work as social workers in NZ it might be worth thinking about learning some Maori whilst you wait for your application process to go through. Very important to be able to speak a little when working with the local maori community.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see the social worker bit.
Even more important than learning the reo (language) is learning the kawa and tikanga (protocols)
Don't be scared though because everyone appreciates effort .... you're bound to be asked about the treaty of waitangi when you go for a job.
Even just knowing that it exists as a new migrant shows willing.
I've done a bit of study around this since being here and it had this great effect that as I learned more about maori culture I learned more about me and my own

Check out this site too Te Ara
for an encyclopedia of nz