British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Just returned from 2 weeks in Chch..Any questions? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/just-returned-2-weeks-chch-any-questions-528359/)

Wessa Apr 10th 2008 4:00 pm

Just returned from 2 weeks in Chch..Any questions?

Hi guys, our family of 4 (9yr & 13yr olds) havejust got back from Christchurch, if there are any questions about our reccie then please ask. We looked at houses, a primary and high school etc..
Oh and yes it's a great place with plenty of great people.
We will be looking to go out again, probably for good. :thumbup:

EmandKen Apr 10th 2008 4:46 pm

Re: Just returned from 2 weeks in Chch..Any questions?

So glad you liked it as that's where we want to head too, although we've never been there. Me for the galleries, theatre, beach and OH for the mountains nearby (and both for the bars, restaurants etc, goes without saying!) We want all the city things but don't want to feel like a nobody in a big unfriendly place. We love country walks and really love the idea of wineries and nature nearby. Do you think it has all those things? And what were the shops like? Did you see some nice houses?
Thanks Wessa :)

happynz Apr 10th 2008 5:52 pm

Hi Wessa,

Which schools did you look at and in which suburbs to you have a nosey around?

danny.f Apr 10th 2008 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Wessa (Post 6189140)
Hi guys, our family of 4 (9yr & 13yr olds) havejust got back from Christchurch, if there are any questions about our reccie then please ask. We looked at houses, a primary and high school etc..
We will be looking to go out again, probably for good. :thumbup:

Did you hire a car?
Where did you sit on the plane?
Did your kids seem positive too?
Is it as English as people say?
Did you travel outside of Christchurch?
Where?
Why?

happynz Apr 10th 2008 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 6189896)
Did you hire a car?
Where did you sit on the plane?
Did your kids seem positive too?
Is it as English as people say?
Did you travel outside of Christchurch?
Where?
Why?

:lol: Excellent questions!

danny.f Apr 10th 2008 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6189899)
:lol: Excellent questions!

Why,thank you! What's your avatar of?

happynz Apr 10th 2008 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 6189906)
Why,thank you! What's your avatar of?

Miguel de Unamuno y Jugo (September 29, 1864–December 31, 1936) was an essayist, novelist, poet, playwright and philosopher from Spain. It was either Miguel or Popeye the Sailor-man and I opted for Miguel.

danny.f Apr 10th 2008 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6189932)
Miguel de Unamuno y Jugo (September 29, 1864–December 31, 1936) was an essayist, novelist, poet, playwright and philosopher from Spain. It was either Miguel or Popeye the Sailor-man and I opted for Miguel.

Excellent choice,in what must have been a very difficult decision.

Wiz'n'Ton Apr 10th 2008 7:21 pm

Just the one burning question:

Did you get a job?! :)

Pleased all went well for you, and looking forward to seeing you all at the next ChCh expats get together :)

All the best,

A

southerner Apr 10th 2008 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Wessa (Post 6189140)

Why do you think that?

Wessa Apr 10th 2008 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by EmandKen (Post 6189376)
So glad you liked it as that's where we want to head too, although we've never been there. Me for the galleries, theatre, beach and OH for the mountains nearby (and both for the bars, restaurants etc, goes without saying!) We want all the city things but don't want to feel like a nobody in a big unfriendly place. We love country walks and really love the idea of wineries and nature nearby. Do you think it has all those things? And what were the shops like? Did you see some nice houses?
Thanks Wessa :)

Yes, you will find all you are looking for in or near Chch. The things you want will only be a short car ride away from the centre of Chch. The shops were fine, you will find just as much there if you shop around. We did see some nice houses out in Rolleston, we will probably buy a section and have our own place built. Some real nice places for good money.
Though im told 5 yrs ago would have been the best time to go out there for the housing. :blink:
:thumbup:

Wessa Apr 10th 2008 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6189665)
Hi Wessa,

Which schools did you look at and in which suburbs to you have a nosey around?

We went to Rolleston Primary and Lincoln High, i was told that Rolleston will be getting a high school in a years time. Lincoln is a 5minute drive from Rolleston and Rolleston is a 10 minute drive from Chch. There is a free bus ride to lincoln for the kids. ;)
Rangiora has plenty more schools if you are looking there. we only stopped there for 1 day.

Wessa Apr 10th 2008 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 6189973)
Just the one burning question:

Did you get a job?! :)

Pleased all went well for you, and looking forward to seeing you all at the next ChCh expats get together :)

All the best,

A

Hello Andy, sorry i missed you mate, i got caught up with someone and ran out of time to pop in. :o

I was offered something in Timaru, which was too far away for us, i was also offered something with TrEx for the future, whicxh i will probably go for. I was also offered something with Excell, of which the pay was not enough so i turned it down.
I think it's best we get out there then i look for a job though. Thanks again for your help mate. :thumbup:

Wessa Apr 10th 2008 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 6190451)
Why do you think that?

Plenty does not mean all, i think plenty means most ;)
Our friend who now live in Dunedin came up to see us, which was nice...:rofl:

Wiz'n'Ton Apr 11th 2008 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Wessa (Post 6190842)
Hello Andy, sorry i missed you mate, i got caught up with someone and ran out of time to pop in. :o

No probs mate - just pleased you can see the scope of things here and are reassured that when you make the move you'll have few problems in finding the right job for you.

Originally Posted by Wessa (Post 6190842)
Thanks again for your help mate. :thumbup:

For what is was worth (i.e. not much ;))! Of the many folks I've tried to help I just got nowhere with you mate, for which I am sorry but also pleased that you are happy to make the move regardless. Good luck to ya! :thumbup: