Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just returned from 2 weeks in Chch..Any questions?

Just returned from 2 weeks in Chch..Any questions?

Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Just returned from 2 weeks in Chch..Any questions?

Hi guys, our family of 4 (9yr & 13yr olds) havejust got back from Christchurch, if there are any questions about our reccie then please ask. We looked at houses, a primary and high school etc..
Oh and yes it's a great place with plenty of great people.
We will be looking to go out again, probably for good.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

EmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really nice
Default Re: Just returned from 2 weeks in Chch..Any questions?

So glad you liked it as that's where we want to head too, although we've never been there. Me for the galleries, theatre, beach and OH for the mountains nearby (and both for the bars, restaurants etc, goes without saying!) We want all the city things but don't want to feel like a nobody in a big unfriendly place. We love country walks and really love the idea of wineries and nature nearby. Do you think it has all those things? And what were the shops like? Did you see some nice houses?
Thanks Wessa
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:52 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Hi Wessa,

Which schools did you look at and in which suburbs to you have a nosey around?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wessa View Post
Hi guys, our family of 4 (9yr & 13yr olds) havejust got back from Christchurch, if there are any questions about our reccie then please ask. We looked at houses, a primary and high school etc..
We will be looking to go out again, probably for good.
Did you hire a car?
Where did you sit on the plane?
Did your kids seem positive too?
Is it as English as people say?
Did you travel outside of Christchurch?
Where?
Why?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:02 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by danny.f View Post
Did you hire a car?
Where did you sit on the plane?
Did your kids seem positive too?
Is it as English as people say?
Did you travel outside of Christchurch?
Where?
Why?
Excellent questions!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
Excellent questions!
Why,thank you! What's your avatar of?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f View Post
Why,thank you! What's your avatar of?
Miguel de Unamuno y Jugo (September 29, 1864–December 31, 1936) was an essayist, novelist, poet, playwright and philosopher from Spain. It was either Miguel or Popeye the Sailor-man and I opted for Miguel.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miguel de Unamuno y Jugo (September 29, 1864–December 31, 1936) was an essayist, novelist, poet, playwright and philosopher from Spain. It was either Miguel or Popeye the Sailor-man and I opted for Miguel.
Excellent choice,in what must have been a very difficult decision.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:21 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Just the one burning question:

Did you get a job?!

Pleased all went well for you, and looking forward to seeing you all at the next ChCh expats get together

All the best,

A
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:36 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think that?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EmandKen View Post
So glad you liked it as that's where we want to head too, although we've never been there. Me for the galleries, theatre, beach and OH for the mountains nearby (and both for the bars, restaurants etc, goes without saying!) We want all the city things but don't want to feel like a nobody in a big unfriendly place. We love country walks and really love the idea of wineries and nature nearby. Do you think it has all those things? And what were the shops like? Did you see some nice houses?
Thanks Wessa
Yes, you will find all you are looking for in or near Chch. The things you want will only be a short car ride away from the centre of Chch. The shops were fine, you will find just as much there if you shop around. We did see some nice houses out in Rolleston, we will probably buy a section and have our own place built. Some real nice places for good money.
Though im told 5 yrs ago would have been the best time to go out there for the housing.

Last edited by Wessa; Apr 10th 2008 at 11:24 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Wessa,

Which schools did you look at and in which suburbs to you have a nosey around?
We went to Rolleston Primary and Lincoln High, i was told that Rolleston will be getting a high school in a years time. Lincoln is a 5minute drive from Rolleston and Rolleston is a 10 minute drive from Chch. There is a free bus ride to lincoln for the kids.
Rangiora has plenty more schools if you are looking there. we only stopped there for 1 day.

Last edited by Wessa; Apr 10th 2008 at 11:22 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton View Post
Just the one burning question:

Did you get a job?!

Pleased all went well for you, and looking forward to seeing you all at the next ChCh expats get together

All the best,

A
Hello Andy, sorry i missed you mate, i got caught up with someone and ran out of time to pop in.

I was offered something in Timaru, which was too far away for us, i was also offered something with TrEx for the future, whicxh i will probably go for. I was also offered something with Excell, of which the pay was not enough so i turned it down.
I think it's best we get out there then i look for a job though. Thanks again for your help mate.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by southerner View Post
Why do you think that?
Plenty does not mean all, i think plenty means most
Our friend who now live in Dunedin came up to see us, which was nice...

Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:55 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Andy, sorry i missed you mate, i got caught up with someone and ran out of time to pop in.
No probs mate - just pleased you can see the scope of things here and are reassured that when you make the move you'll have few problems in finding the right job for you.

Thanks again for your help mate.

For what is was worth (i.e. not much )! Of the many folks I've tried to help I just got nowhere with you mate, for which I am sorry but also pleased that you are happy to make the move regardless. Good luck to ya!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.