Reload this Page >

Just a question on moving to New Zealand

Just a question on moving to New Zealand

Old Aug 6th 2013, 9:34 am
Just Joined

AdhamJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just a question on moving to New Zealand

Hi everyone,
I was a prison officer at a Young offenders institute for almost three years I left in 2010 to go to Australia on a one year working visa had the most amazing time!, Since returning to the UK I have been working in the Security industry but it doesn't seem to be able to fill the hole I seem to have left myself since leaving the prison service, commitment, friendships, actually waking up and looking forward to the challenges ahead, I had a chat with the Mrs and she suggested maybe moving to New Zealand, I mean wow what a country and why not I though, I dont have much to offer apart from the skills I learned from the prison and the many years I have worked in the Security industry (Security 7 years Prison service 2 years 10 months). So my question would be am I able to join the New Zealand police force or there prison service?? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance for reading
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just a question on moving to New Zealand

Welcome to BE

your first port of call would be to look at the Immigration site and ascertain if you could get a visa

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

I do not believe that prison officer is on any of the required lists so may be a up hill struggle. You could not join the police force as you do not have PR and you are not a citizen.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Aug 6th 2013 at 10:03 am.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, i've clicked the link and I am looking into that now
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:53 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

found a recent thread re prison officer

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...prison+officer
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

To be a police officer in NZ you need to be a citizen or hold a permanent residents visa.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant thanks ill looking through all the links from that post too
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all

Hi Adam
My husband is a prison officer also at a YOI and we have recently been granted a permanent visa. He starts his position in October and we will be going in September. You need to have worked for 4 years as a prison officer before you can apply. If you want any more info just ask and I will help.if I can. Good luck

Karen
Old Aug 6th 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by kazandav
You need to have worked for 4 years as a prison officer before you can apply.Karen
looks like the prison officer position is also out for you

what does you partner do?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the reply...That's a shame well we both worked in the prison service but she wouldn't like to go back I would though, ummm at the moment she works for a printing company putting jobs in the correct folder for printing and so she's doing very well at it hmm ill keep looking!! Would be nice to get away a lot happening in England at the moment non of it very good!! Chin up
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Adam
My husband is a prison officer also at a YOI and we have recently been granted a permanent visa. He starts his position in October and we will be going in September. You need to have worked for 4 years as a prison officer before you can apply. If you want any more info just ask and I will help.if I can. Good luck

Karen
Karma for your post kavandav. Very kind and helpful.

Do you think Adam will be able to apply as a Corrections Officer at all?

IF he went back into the service in the UK, could he use his collective years of experience to then apply. In other words, a bit of a long term plan to emigrate to NZ.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

........................ You need to have worked for 4 years as a prison officer before you can apply..................
Not quite.

"If you have less than four years custodial experience you will be required to have New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency before your application can be considered."

http://www.corrections.govt.nz/about...pplicants.html
Old Aug 9th 2013, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Good morning guy's! I had a chance to return to my establishment about a year ago but I turned it down for a couple of reasons...firstly I would have to go back on the new contract and well that stinks I'm afraid lol, secondly everyone I knew has left or taken the redundancy and there seems to be a lot of new staff losing out on learning from the old hands who have seen almost every situation you can...My girlfriend and I have been talking for ages about trying to see how the work situation in NZ is I mean I would love to join the police force but understand I need to get citizenship, that part of the world is so beautiful I can understand why its pritty difficult to get it..otherwise everyone would be doing it!! Hope you all have a great day!! Just thinking if there is anything I can do, but in the mean time life goes on, love all the replys thanks again guys
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdhamJ
I would love to join the police force but understand I need to get citizenship
As I've said, above, you can also be a permenant resident.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Sorry your right at first I didnt quite understand the difference but Google is a strong ally, that would take longer to acomplish but I am only 27 so have many years ahead, I'm doing my homework now!!! Thanks TommyLuck! and everyone else for there contribution, also good luck kazandav with your move Im gald your husband is getting out of the service while he can and I hope before he ever gets hurt like I did!!!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AdhamJ
Good morning guy's! I had a chance to return to my establishment about a year ago but I turned it down for a couple of reasons...firstly I would have to go back on the new contract and well that stinks I'm afraid lol, secondly everyone I knew has left or taken the redundancy and there seems to be a lot of new staff losing out on learning from the old hands who have seen almost every situation you can...My girlfriend and I have been talking for ages about trying to see how the work situation in NZ is I mean I would love to join the police force but understand I need to get citizenship, that part of the world is so beautiful I can understand why its pritty difficult to get it..otherwise everyone would be doing it!! Hope you all have a great day!! Just thinking if there is anything I can do, but in the mean time life goes on, love all the replys thanks again guys
Don't give up, we were the same as two police officer, couldn't join police, not enough points etc, but we had skills! We persevered and got told countless times 'if you had a visa.....' We applied for loads of jobs we knew we could do and eventually OH got offered one as a charity fraud investigator for a government agency. If you really want it keep going you'll get there but the road may be long, ours was 2 1/2 yrs. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.