Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just needing the extra push!

Just needing the extra push!

Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of
Default Just needing the extra push!

Okay! You guys know Ive been on here for a while sussing it all out. Unfortunately a few things have changed in my personal life (my two best friends hubbies are very ill, one terminal and one now with a very short life expectancy) this has knocked my confidence, so just needing the extra bit of confidence to carry the final bit out.

Our car main car is sold and goes away next week. This is a big move for me to let it go as its a top of the range freelander so its a lot to give up as it was my dream car............but my kids are aged 12 and 10 and want to live the dream and give NZ a good shot so they are making me keep going.

We are planning to be in NZ in Jan 08' and most probably just coming on an adventure in first instance.

The way I feel right now I could just give up the dream as I have a fabulous family around me but I know I just gottta give NZ a try especially for the kids.

I need to add that these two guys were very encouraging of our plans to head to NZ before they knew they were ill.

Anyway Ive just come in from watching the Scotland v Italy game and feeling a bit deflated and needing some 'friendly' advice.

Life is too short.

What do you guys think? What have we got to lose?

p.s. please dont anyone mention braveheart

Last edited by jill1420; Nov 17th 2007 at 10:58 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Just needing the extra push!

Originally Posted by jill1420
Okay! You guys know Ive been on here for a while sussing it all out. Unfortunately a few things have changed in my personal life (my two best friends hubbies are very ill, one terminal and one now with a very short life expectancy) this has knocked my confidence, so just needing the extra bit of confidence to carry the final bit out.

Our car main car is sold and goes away next week. This is a big move for me to let it go as its a top of the range freelander so its a lot to give up as it was my dream car............but my kids are aged 12 and 10 and want to live the dream and give NZ a good shot so they are making me keep going.

We are planning to be in NZ in Jan 08' and most probably just coming on an adventure in first instance.

The way I feel right now I could just give up the dream as I have a fabulous family around me but I know I just gottta give NZ a try especially for the kids.

I need to add that these two guys were very encouraging of our plans to head to NZ before they knew they were ill.

Anyway Ive just come in from watching the Scotland v Italy game and feeling a bit deflated and needing some 'friendly' advice.

Life is too short.

What do you guys think? What have we got to lose?

p.s. please dont anyone mention braveheart
hi jill...have warned garry, no more braveheart comments

sorry to hear about your friends partners,but it should make you think,well they would probably love the opportunity to do this,so you should do it for theire sake,it must make you realise life is to short and none of us know how long we have on here,we are all living here on borrowed time,so make the most of it....

as i have said look on this as a life experience whether you stay for good or go back home at some point...

forever is to final for me,and to be honest feel very chlostrophobic if i think of being here for good,but i think that says more about me than nz...

daughter had sleep over yesterday and is away shopping with friends today...she informed me this morning ,if her grandparents were here she would quite happily stay here for good

we all have times when we can stay in our safe little lives quite comfortably,but you don't want to be looking back in years to come saying what if,i can cope with coming here then moving back when we want to,but i would hate to be sitting wondering what would have happenend IF we came,
but i do know how you are feeling,just a minor hiccup you will get over this....sorry again about your friends.....jacky
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Thanks Jacky,

You are so right. My friends are very get up and go people by nature and still really want us to go - they are excited for us and want to hear all about our plans.

Think I was just feeling a bit emotional after the football..............too many wines

Obviously selling the car is significant and is starting the ball rolling.

Thanks again Jacky
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:45 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jill1420
Thanks Jacky,

You are so right. My friends are very get up and go people by nature and still really want us to go - they are excited for us and want to hear all about our plans.

Think I was just feeling a bit emotional after the football..............too many wines

Obviously selling the car is significant and is starting the ball rolling.

Thanks again Jacky
Plus, don't underestimate the stress involved, even without your current bad news. It IS a difficult time with all the planning and emotional upheavals. But ... I'm an advocate of the "No regrets" brigade. You won't settle if you don't give it a whirl. If the seed's been planted you'd be best of letting it grow!

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:09 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

We haven't booked our flights yet but we expect to be in Auckland about the 8th. Might see you there

Everything now seems to be stress
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:57 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jill1420;5567950]

Our car main car is sold and goes away next week. This is a big move for me to let it go as its a top of the range freelander so its a lot to give up as it was my dream car............We are planning to be in NZ in Jan 08' and most probably just coming on an adventure in first instance.

QUOTE]

It'll be canny. Anyway if nothing else you can buy yourself a new silly 4wd car and fit in with the 'green' kiwi's when you get here!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:20 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi jill,

I think you have to follow this path in your life, and just see where it leads you, N.Z is as stunning as everyone says, so come and enjoy, we have to take our chances in life when we can, we musn't let them pass us by.
Marika x
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all for your words of encouragement. Hopefully everything will click into place. Will keep you all updated................
Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Just a question:
Have your friends changed their minds in light of what's happening to them? If not, why should you?
I'm sure that what you're about to do will be the right thing, just hang in there.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys