Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Jobs and where to move to

Jobs and where to move to

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Helbells is a jewel in the roughHelbells is a jewel in the roughHelbells is a jewel in the roughHelbells is a jewel in the rough
Default Jobs and where to move to

Hi all, new to the forum so apologies for the many questions....

My partner is in the process of transfering to nz police (fingers crossed - only the interview/fitness to go). My question is if he was to get offered the job, would he be able to apply for a visa for both of us, or would i have to apply for a seperate visa? We're not married and have been living together for about 8 months now, but 20 months by the time we'd be off to nz next feb!

Secondly, we are a little sure about where in New Zealand we want to settle. We want to experience life by the beach but not by a big city. Living in London at the moment we want to get as far away from anything that resembles London and we're worried that auckland or near auckland would be just like living near london. Is Wellington a compromise?

The south island really appeals to us both although my partner is concerned about the availability of a suitable job for myself. I'm an analyst at the moment - but have no desire whatsoever to continue in this career path and so fancy something different. Is it easy to get a job?
We're also concerned that maybe the south island would be too quiet? Feel free to correct me on this point. He's been to Christchurch and loved it there - would that be a good place to settle?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Jobs and where to move to

Hello & welcome

It doesn't matter if you are not married - they will treat you as a de facto partner but you will need to start collecting evidence to prove the duration of your relationship, e.g. joint bank statements, etc. Have a look on the immigration website or search the threads on here. So long as they are satisfied of your partnership, you can apply for a work visa as his partner.

Christchurch is a lovely city and will have sufficient to interest you. I think the Wellington people might be asleep at the moment, but they will tell you how much they love it there.

Good luck
Alison
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:51 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I'm not sure that Auckland City really is that much like London, depends on what aspect of life you're looking at I guess. It's a green and open city, lots of parks and domains, lovely harbour front development, relatively safe at night, fair share of traffic problems, good night life, red light district, very scenic views, nice beaches.... South Auckland is a different kettle of fish though.

Why do you think that Christchurch may be too quiet?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome... if he's transfering he'll have to spend a good time in Wellington anyway as that is where the national police training college is. SO you could get a good feel for wellington before working on any particular posting.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:36 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum. Funnily enough my wife and I recently met a couple who were in the police, and they moved from Auckland to ChCh 5 years ago to get away from the 'big city'. They said that at the time things were very different between ChCh and Auckland, but that over the years ChCh seems to be getting 'busier' especially with the recent advent of the drug 'P' (a botched up version of speed, made from cough syrups and tablets containing ephedrine and pseudoepedrine) which is the cause of much of the crime they now deal with. (he was in the drugs section, she in the forensics).

They mentioned that ChCh is an attractive place for officers from elsewhere in NZ for the same reasons they came here - city lifestyle but not so much crime, and as such the positions that come up here are snapped up.

Regarding you getting work yourself, it is a bit of a mixed bag. Kiwi companies love 'experience' in whatever it is that they do, be that digging up roads or answering phones. This is in direct contrast to the fact that everyone is crying out for staff! Your best bet in getting a job in something different to what you do right now is to go through a temp agency (of which there are loads in most towns and cities). They'll get you into a company, even if it's on a crap rate and doing a menial job, and once in there you can see what work they do and if there are any jobs that you'd like to do. If there are, you can talk to the decision makers yourself and they can consider you for the work as you will have had 'experience' of their company. If you don't like what they do, then just work the contract and then when it ends head off to the next company.

Oh, and ChCh would be a great place to settle. We moved here a year ago and love it.