Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

job references - NZ Practice for obtaining one

job references - NZ Practice for obtaining one

Old May 30th 2014, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default job references - NZ Practice for obtaining one

Hi Guys

I am in the running for a job in Auckland.

Is it normal practice for NZ employers to ask for a reference from your current employer before you have even hinted to them that you are planning to leave?

Has anyone else experienced this?

How did you deal with it?

Steve
Old May 30th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job references - NZ Practice for obtaining one

I job hopped about seven months after landing. I'm in nursing so it's quite unusual for potential employers to contact your current employer until they're about to offer you the job.

For my part I was quite open that I had been offered and would be attending an interview just because I felt that honesty and courtesy (in that specific instance) were the best option for me and my workplace.

I suppose you could ask your potential new job not to contact your current one until they are in a position to want to offer you the job?
Old May 30th 2014, 9:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes I would second what Laura said, state only reference to be taken up when a job offer is on the table
Old May 31st 2014, 1:21 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was offered his job in nz (we were/are in NZ) and they wanted one more reference to go with the two he had already supplied. So he was scratching his head as to who he could ask, but, fortunately was able to give the name of another referee. The job was also, 'gazetted' so anyone could object to his appointment should they so wish. I guess this is to do with it being an NZ Government organisation.

Yet again, these New Zealanders defy belief sometimes !
Old May 31st 2014, 6:06 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

I have found that many potential employers want to take references even before they interview you. My daughters have both experienced this too. For me its not such an issue as I always state they can have references if they offer me a job and haven't really had any problems, but my girls have as they're not in such a bargaining position.

I'm not happy with giving referee details before you've even been interviewed and I also object to referees having to be constantly contacted if you are seriously looking.
Old May 31st 2014, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Hi Guys

I am in the running for a job in Auckland.

Is it normal practice for NZ employers to ask for a reference from your current employer before you have even hinted to them that you are planning to leave?

Has anyone else experienced this?

How did you deal with it?

Steve
Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Perhaps I should add in more information: I have had two interviews (so far) with the potential employers. Now they are asking for a reference from my current employers as part of their recruitment process.

I did mention to them in the interview that I hadn't indicated to my employer that I am/was looking to leave.

This is what they requested in an email:

"We are working through our process and the next step would be for us to conduct a reference check with your current manager.

Are you happy for us to do this as I remember you mentioning that they weren't aware you were looking?"

They state that they would like to do this asap but also that I may ask any questions about the process.

Seeing as I think that I believe that mentioning to my boss at this stage that I am thinking about leaving, without first even having the offer of another job to go to, would amount to a form of career suicide I don't know what to do.

Do you think it reasonable for me to ask a few questions without saying 'yes' or 'no' at this stage?
Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:53 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but I think you are going to have to put your foot down and say to your NZ employer that you don't want them to approach your current employer for a reference prior to a job offer.

If this means deadlock somehow well, how reputable do you think the NZ employer is ?

Have you discussed your salary expectations with the NZ employer ?

You could lose a lot here......i.e. you tell your boss you are thinking of leaving, then the NZ salary ain't all that when it comes.

Over to you.....

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 1st 2014 at 3:56 am. Reason: wanted to finish the post
Old Jun 1st 2014, 6:44 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

My partner found himself in this situation. He asked the company not to go to his current employer and they were happy with a reference from a previous employer. If the company in NZ aren't willing to do this I personally would be cautious about it, especially if the job isn't 100% set in stone. They surely must understand the implications of what they're asking. I would not give any hints that you may be leaving to your UK boss until you hand in formal notice.

It's not something that is NZ specific per se as it happened to me in the UK also. It's more dependent on the company rather than country, I believe.

If it were me in the situation I would tell the company they can contact a previous reference or first offer you the job officially before contacting your current employer.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jun 1st 2014 at 6:47 am.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I'm sorry but I think you are going to have to put your foot down and say to your NZ employer that you don't want them to approach your current employer for a reference prior to a job offer.

If this means deadlock somehow well, how reputable do you think the NZ employer is ?

Have you discussed your salary expectations with the NZ employer ?

You could lose a lot here......i.e. you tell your boss you are thinking of leaving, then the NZ salary ain't all that when it comes.

Over to you.....

Hi Snapshot. Thanks for this.
To be fair to the employer I have discussed salary expectations and they seemed happy with what I was asking for, but I have yet to receive this in writing. They are also an accredited employer who are used to recruiting from off-shore (I'm in the UK and interviews have been via Skype).

I'm not going to tell my boss about this until I need to. I am going to take somebody else's advice and ask them to contact my other references until we reach the job offer stage.

S.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
If it were me in the situation I would tell the company they can contact a previous reference or first offer you the job officially before contacting your current employer.

Hi Pom_Chch

This is exactly what I am going to do.
Thanks

Steve
Old Jun 1st 2014, 8:54 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pom_Chch

This is exactly what I am going to do.
Thanks

Steve
Nice one Steve. Good luck with it all I don't think it's an unreasonable ask to be honest!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

When I was going for the job at Fonterra I just told them straight do not go anywhere near my current employer and they where fine with it, I just gave them my previous two

Neil
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There's one fundamental difference in the UK an employer can offer you a job 'subject to references'. i.e. You have a commitment from the new employer with a firm offer on the table subject to all being sweet with your reference(s). If they do bother to check the reference it will be fairly nondescript and minimally invasive; usually done in writing with form or a few tick boxes that confirm you were at the place of employ for the period of time you say you were there, nothing incriminating or negative will be shared.

Boot is on the other foot here, the employer will not be making any job offer until they have checked out your references. Most likely they will insist they must talk directly to your immediate manager in the UK and nobody else will do - that's the way it is and likely they will grill your referee about the ins and outs of the cats backside. I have heard some here getting down and really very personal, so you're best to put your referee on high alert to this as it will appear to be just casual conversation!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Boot is on the other foot here, the employer will not be making any job offer until they have checked out your references. Most likely they will insist they must talk directly to your immediate manager in the UK and nobody else will do - that's the way it is and likely they will grill your referee about the ins and outs of the cats backside. I have heard some here getting down and really very personal, so you're best to put your referee on high alert to this as it will appear to be just casual conversation!
Thanks.
I will bear this in mind.

I will ask where I am in the process etc. and see where that gets me at this stage in proceedings.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks.
I will bear this in mind.

I will ask where I am in the process etc. and see where that gets me at this stage in proceedings.

Hi All,

The state of play so far: My current employers are in the process of providing a reference and so it's all a waiting game now.

Assuming all is well with the reference and for the life of my I can't see why it wouldn't be then it's over to the NZ employer.

Fingers & Toes crossed

Stephen