Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job penrose so where do we live in Auckland?

Job penrose so where do we live in Auckland?

Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

macslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nice
Default Job penrose so where do we live in Auckland?

Husband has possibility of job in penrose. We had wanted to live on the north shore but now concerned about the commute (would it be possible on a daily basis in rush hour?). So if not north shore where would u advise? We have 3 small boys and eldest will start school in august. Good (free) schooling of paramount importance to me and would also like family area with gardens and possibly some proximity to the beach. Advice welcome please
Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job penrose so where do we live in Auckland?

Greenlane, Epsom, One Tree Hill areas are all excellent.

Cornwall Park Primary is excellent for younger kids, if you live in areas of Greenlane/Epsom you will also be in Auckland Grammar zone for later too which is one of the best schools in the country.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

ellerslie, or out in eastern suburbs ie Howick etc it might be worth getting hold of the where to live in auckland book!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:53 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Penrose has easy motorway access, so although the north shore could be a bit far (though I know of people who make the commute), otherwise the areas mentioned are all lovely - I'd also add to the list Onehunga it is one of the oldest suburbs in Auckland with lovely old villas and is definately an area 'on the up'... there is also talk of re-sanding the beach there - it is on the western Manukau Harbour which is definately the poorer of the two harbours for swimming and water sports, but worth a look I'd say.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

If I was you, I would look at 2 suburbs- either Ellerslie or Greenlance/Cornwall Park.

Ellerslie is a bit schitzo- there are some very, very nice parts up on the hill & some outstanding older villas & bungalows with large sections. Importantly, a 5 minute drive to Penrose & immediate access to the motorway network. A cricket club & soccer club & if your so inclined, even a rugby league club. An average main street for shopping, closest supermarket possibly Meadowbank- 5-10 mins by car. A couple of good pubs. Schools would require greater investigation & I would personally not send my kids to One Tree Hill High. Ellerslie is a central, safe & largely affordable suburb.

Cornwall Park encompasses a large area- the Onehunga side of Cornwall Park & closer to Penrose.....and the Greenlane end of Cornwall Park, a great deal pricier, but zoned for excellent schools & only 10 mins by car to work. Cornwall Park, itself is a gem. Greenlane for groceries. A lot of very nice streets & again, central to motorways & Penrose.

Personally, I would avoid Howick & environs like the plague. the thought of the Pakuranga Highway & the South Eastern highway each & every day would fill me with dread.

My 5c
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by macslass
Husband has possibility of job in penrose. We had wanted to live on the north shore but now concerned about the commute (would it be possible on a daily basis in rush hour?). So if not north shore where would u advise? We have 3 small boys and eldest will start school in august. Good (free) schooling of paramount importance to me and would also like family area with gardens and possibly some proximity to the beach. Advice welcome please
Hi, my OH works in Ellerslie and at the moment we are living in Pakuranga, ideally we would like to live in Howick. From Pakuranga it takes OH 15 mins to get to work.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

I would also highly recommend the "Where to Live in Auckland" book available here. We found it absolutely indispensable while house-hunting.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:47 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushmere
I would also highly recommend the "Where to Live in Auckland" book available here. We found it absolutely indispensable while house-hunting.
ditto re book

I have found that schooling is a nightmare in Auckland - you literally can pay double for an identical house across the street from each other just to get into the right zone.

Primary schools (which I'm guessing all you have to worry about at the moment) are a little easier to work out where you do/not want to be living.... unfortunately for us we have pre-schoolers, primary, intermediate and college to think about

once here "get lost" with the book in hand and find your comfort zone!

good luck!