Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job opening - its all too soon

Job opening - its all too soon

Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

grahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nice
Default Job opening - its all too soon

Hello,
My predicament is this: My wife and I are set to return to NZ for good this August, and after we've got the house finished to rent and said all our goodbyes... we'd be ready to leave.

So far I haven't got a job to go to.

Last night after some phone calls I might/hopefully have the dream job lined up and after they have seen my portfolio and discussed this Monday they will request me to be in NZ within 5 weeks. 5 weeks! I've invested sometime into trying to get through the front door of this company and they are renowned in NZ for their great work, good job opportunity then...

So what to do...

Do I says it's all too soon to move, and hope something comes up near August?
Do I say yes, and leave my wife and families to sort out the house etc?

I would of wanted more time to get used to the idea of moving for ever but this is a great opportunity. With the current business climate will their not be another job opening like the one I want...

Oh dear...
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice
Default Re: Job opening - its all too soon

Negotiate the start date first i would think - can you offer to do any work for them in the UK?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by grahamwookie
Hello,
My predicament is this: My wife and I are set to return to NZ for good this August, and after we've got the house finished to rent and said all our goodbyes... we'd be ready to leave.

So far I haven't got a job to go to.

Last night after some phone calls I might/hopefully have the dream job lined up and after they have seen my portfolio and discussed this Monday they will request me to be in NZ within 5 weeks. 5 weeks! I've invested sometime into trying to get through the front door of this company and they are renowned in NZ for their great work, good job opportunity then...

So what to do...

Do I says it's all too soon to move, and hope something comes up near August?
Do I say yes, and leave my wife and families to sort out the house etc?

I would of wanted more time to get used to the idea of moving for ever but this is a great opportunity. With the current business climate will their not be another job opening like the one I want...

Oh dear...
Hi - yes ask if the start date could be extended.... even if you go in say 3 months, at least you would be a bit more sorted!
If you are seen as an asset (it seems u are) then usually an employer is willing to wait at least 3 months! Good luck!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Assuming u already have PR and are therefore 'able' to move in 5 weeks - why are you waiting till August?

Could you not buckle down a bit and get the house sorted out sooner - compromise a bit on the start date if they will (you can only ask eh ) but why wait 6 months.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:15 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

What does your wife think??

She probably is more important than any of us here...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

grahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nice

I all, thanks for the advice. I'm through to the next round and hopefully soon on our way. Half of me is an happy chappy, tha other is gutted to be leaving so soon.

The reason we plan to leave in august is that I needed to earn more cash first, enough to use as a plan B. We lived in Wellington from 2003-06 so we know what to expect and aren't in a rush. This job coming along so soon is just too good to be true.

I wonder if we're the only people here that aren't super keen to get over to NZ right this minute. Weird really. Looking forward to a surf over the hill from Welly.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by grahamwookie
I all, thanks for the advice. I'm through to the next round and hopefully soon on our way. Half of me is an happy chappy, tha other is gutted to be leaving so soon.

The reason we plan to leave in august is that I needed to earn more cash first, enough to use as a plan B. We lived in Wellington from 2003-06 so we know what to expect and aren't in a rush. This job coming along so soon is just too good to be true.

I wonder if we're the only people here that aren't super keen to get over to NZ right this minute. Weird really. Looking forward to a surf over the hill from Welly.
Hiya,

Well l for one think it's fabulous that you have such an opportunity and if it were my husband l would be encouraging him to take the position offered.l wish luck to you and your family....

xElainex
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:27 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

If you wait until August, what are the chances of the 'dream job' coming up again? Are they a company that has continued to recruit throughout the recession or have they just started again?

The job market here is very similar to that in the UK and although many didn't lose their jobs here compared to there, lots have had pay freezes and may well look to find that salary increase by shifting companies.

Anyway if you get here in April, you'll still get that surfing in!! Only a brave man would venture in those waters in August!!!!
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Grab that job mate. You'll all manage the time scales somehow.