Job Market

Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice
Default Re: Job Market

I feel for you. I really do. I left PM to enter teaching about seven years ago. At the time the UK government were paying training fees and offering a golden handshake. Plus the gold plated pension was worth a small fortune about £1000000.

Now teachers in the UK have to work 8 years longer for less and less pay, eaten by inflation, and a smaller pension.

I tried to find work back in ICT or a PM but my experience is too out of date. I went to an interview for a junior project coordinator role and I was more qualifed and experienced tham the PM who interviewed me. The market is not as generous as it used to be.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:22 pm
gcr
Forum Regular

gcr is an unknown quantity at this point

Had an interview with an agency this morning about a 5 month contract role. Went well... I meet every criteria the hiring company has laid out, and meet them with real-life BTDT experience. And I have several other skills I can bring which also fit with the client.

They want someone to start ASAP, and of all the applicant I am the only one who could tell them what the market rate is for this.

Everyone seemed impressed. And then... "We'll give you a call later today and let you know if we'll represent you..."

Hmm. 17.20, and no call, no email (I followed up with an email when I got home, thanking the interviewers for their time)... No great surprise, either.

<sigh>
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tranmere Rover
We're hiring software developers, ideally intermediate to senior levels, but several I've spoken to recently who are coming over from the UK, including returning Kiwis, seem to have expectations in the region of $150k+ (Ok, admittedly not quite CEO money, but very high by NZ standards!).

Nothing I've heard recently about the UK job market has suggested that rates are high there, so I'm curious where these high expectations are coming from?
Who are these people demanding that?????? That is insane.

I find IT jobs are generally about the same or are slightly less well paid at home than they are here in NZ (unless you are a contractor).

Wow - I work for a large IT firm and the vast majority of very capable and experience people (as in years and years of experience) are somewhere between 90K and 125K.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:34 am
Just Joined

mick carr is just really nicemick carr is just really nicemick carr is just really nicemick carr is just really nicemick carr is just really nicemick carr is just really nicemick carr is just really nicemick carr is just really nice

Is there much short term contract work in NZ? I've got IT support experience and Implementation planning experience, can't find work in UK. I'd have to go on a working holiday visa thou.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick carr
Is there much short term contract work in NZ? I've got IT support experience and Implementation planning experience, can't find work in UK. I'd have to go on a working holiday visa thou.
Hi Mick,

Being straight with you, I'm not saying its impossible - but I find the market here much harder than I did in the UK (especially during the really difficult times in the UK between end 2010 and start 2011). I notice the IT market at home has actually picked up, but of course they want you to donate your life to them.

There is some contract work about, but the majority of it seems to be for programmers and sharepoint/web dev type people.

If you were really desperate, I am sure I could potentially help you find work on a service desk working tickets and taking calls etc. But I know thats not for everyone.

Good luck!