Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job in Christchurch

Job in Christchurch

Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:49 am
Just Joined

steveng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job in Christchurch

Hi everyone...I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice....it's taken a while but finally looks like we're going to NZ...Got a job offer as carpenter in christchurch rebuild and passport is away to get visa......My first big question is what should I take in the way of tools to NZ, I'm sure plenty of people must have been in this position .....I'll have plenty more questions but this will be very helpfull for now....Thanks guys
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

stevendyche2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job in Christchurch

hi Steve,just a quick note about who you have a contract with,my name is also Steve, and a carpenter,just spent a week in Christchurch researching job options,and there seems to be a bit of bending of the truth regarding wages. i was told by one agency the hourly rate would be about $32 an hour with a chance of a van aswell,i went for an interview in london with rainbow recruitment about 6 months ago,turned out to be time wasters, popped in to there office,got a bit of a run around,asked to come back in a few hours,did so and the guy says yer mate we can offer you a contract,the wages will be $24 an hour, if you do the maths on that, 40 hrs aweek minus your tax and stamp you take home about $748 a week,renting something half decent in a good area to live is between $400/$500 a week dosnt leave much left over, I popped into trade staff and they offered me $21 an hour and they thought they were doing me a favour,i walked out feeling pretty shafted
just be careful
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveng
Hi everyone...I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice....it's taken a while but finally looks like we're going to NZ...Got a job offer as carpenter in christchurch rebuild and passport is away to get visa......My first big question is what should I take in the way of tools to NZ, I'm sure plenty of people must have been in this position .....I'll have plenty more questions but this will be very helpfull for now....Thanks guys
Hi Steve,

OH brought over his pouch with hand tools and bought power tools in NZ. He has been treated well, with a bit of good natured pommy bashing but a good reply goes down well with them . His normal working week is 44 hours but has been as little at 40 hours and as much as 60 hours! Always early finish on a Friday for a beer.
You can ship tools over and replace the plugs as voltage is the same he says. There are no 110v trade tools, all are 240v. 110 tools don't work. Check Mitre10 or Placemakers for prices.
The agency take 19% tax, whatever you earn, they pay an additional 8% into your holiday fund, likewise ACC. There is no NI, so the only deductions are tax and Kiwisaver (the latter is optional and you can opt out).
Hope this helps
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:48 am
Just Joined

steveng is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I'll get rid of my 110 tools and ship my 240v....prob just take some hand tools in luggage....The wages being offered seem to vary a lot..I secured a position with tradestaff for $26 p/h...any less and you do question is it worth it? ...we are in this for the long haul and looking for permanent move so it's a good foot in the door and it seems the work will be going on for a long long time...I have to say that tradestaff have been very good so far and I will keep you posted on how things develope....I like the idea of early finish every friday...I'm sure I'll join in on a beer or 2 and I'm sure I can handle the banter.....been around the block a few times