Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Jetlag And Interviews

Jetlag And Interviews

Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:21 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jetlag And Interviews

Has anyone got any tips re jetlag and NZ interviews please?

We leave on Sunday (11th) arrive Cch 13th at 8am and straight off for 3 full days of interviews (for OH)! Then we fly to Bay of Plenty for another 2 days of interviews (but at least we get the weekend off inbetween), before flying home on the p.m. of Mon 19th.

Bit of a 'Supermarket Sweep' of NZ it was the only time we could fit in getting over there and having arrangements back here for kids to be taken care of. But in our short time there we have to get a job offer, find a rental, rekky schools etc.

So, if anyone who's done same previously has any tips whatsoever, it would be greatly appreciated!! For example: OH would usually wear suit & tie for interviews - is that the norm in NZ too? Any fast ways to zap effects of jetlag?

Thanks guys
Mandie
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:14 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jetlag And Interviews

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

We leave on Sunday (11th) arrive Cch 13th at 8am and straight off for 3 full days of interviews (for OH)! Then we fly to Bay of Plenty for another 2 days of interviews (but at least we get the weekend off inbetween), before flying home on the p.m. of Mon 19th.

Bit of a 'Supermarket Sweep' of NZ it was the only time we could fit in getting over there and having arrangements back here for kids to be taken care of. But in our short time there we have to get a job offer, find a rental, rekky schools etc.

So, if anyone who's done same previously has any tips whatsoever, it would be greatly appreciated!! For example: OH would usually wear suit & tie for interviews - is that the norm in NZ too? Any fast ways to zap effects of jetlag?

Thanks guys
Mandie
yes wear suit and tie - wear the appropriate gear for the job you are being interviewed for.
they are generally quite relaxed - DP had an interview with an english guy who was a stuck up little prick - but all the kiwis who interviewed him were quite chilled.
He had interviews the morning after we landed. he didnt really suffer conventional jetlag.... we were recommended to stay awake for as long as we could and sleep at the correct 'kiwi ' time to get straight into the swing of things. i also found whatever sleep you can get on the plane is good. even if its ten minute naps.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:24 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

When we came for a recce to Brisbane a few years ago, we landed at 630am and we stayed awake all day until about 830-900pm. I had an interview at 930 next morning and felt fine

We've just come back from a holiday in the UK this week though and landed at 430pm and am still feeling a bit shitty with jetlag at the mo (though getting better each day). I would agree with Dreamfish in you should try to sleep on Kiwi time as soon as you get on the plane. In fact if it's possible in the UK, try to adjust your sleep patterns by a couple of hours a few days before you leave if you can, just to give yourself a bit of a headstart

Over here, I would always wear a suit and tie for an interview, even if you think you won't need to wear one for the job itself. Having said that, I turned up for my last interview in shorts, t-shirt and thongs There were mitigating circumstances though .....
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:34 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Mandie

Gosh that's come around quick!!! We're waiting for a yes or no from Immigration at the mo. It's a bit like waiting for "the blue line" to appear, if you get my drift, it's potentially a life changing moment!!!

Anyawy back to your reccie; we changed our watches to kiwi time as soon as we boarded the plane & TBH did the same as everyone else, tried to stay awake for as long as we could the 1st night, although seem to remember waking up at 4am the 1st morning & coming downstairs in our apartment to find I was the last one to wake up

Re the interviews. Kev was interviewed for Senior Site Manager positions & went in smart shirt & trousers, no tie. This was on the advise of the agency. So long as your OH is comfortable like that, I think he'll find it perfectly acceptable.

HTH
Sarah
Old Mar 9th 2007, 5:55 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Jetlag And Interviews

I've got a little turn table thing that mum brought over from NZ "Eliminate jet lag with acupressure - No More Jet Lag". She used it when she went from AKL to USA for a bit and then from USA to London and back direct to Auckland. She didn't suffer jetlag at all.

Basically you figure out the time you leave, your travelling hours, the time you arrive and then it gives you 2 different pressure points to push at various intervals - or when you arrive. I can't guarantee it but it worked for Mum and she has posted it over to me here (it also says on the packet 100% money back guarentee).

If you let me know your times, I'll scan it for you at your settings and you can give it a go. And if it works I'll be charging for this all over this site Actually goes for anyone travelling - pm me.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 6:55 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leaseuk
I've got a little turn table thing that mum brought over from NZ "Eliminate jet lag with acupressure - No More Jet Lag". She used it when she went from AKL to USA for a bit and then from USA to London and back direct to Auckland. She didn't suffer jetlag at all.

Basically you figure out the time you leave, your travelling hours, the time you arrive and then it gives you 2 different pressure points to push at various intervals - or when you arrive. I can't guarantee it but it worked for Mum and she has posted it over to me here (it also says on the packet 100% money back guarentee).

If you let me know your times, I'll scan it for you at your settings and you can give it a go. And if it works I'll be charging for this all over this site Actually goes for anyone travelling - pm me.
I want one of those! Even though we only have a 4-hr flight, then a 7-hr stopover then a 12-hr flight, am sure I'll still be knackered by the time we get there.

I need to know what's being worn in offices these days for women. It's been 7 years since I worked in an office and my company is always business casual. Eek!!!!! Help!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:09 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

Originally Posted by Maz
I want one of those!
I've PM'd you
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:00 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

That'd be great, thanks We leave England at 2.20pm on the 11th and arrive Cch at 8am on the 13th (going via Los Angeles and Auckland). Where are the pressure points? And is it acceptable to be pushing them in a confined public place?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:10 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

I've PM'd you.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:13 pm
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Hiya Mandie

Gosh that's come around quick!!! We're waiting for a yes or no from Immigration at the mo. It's a bit like waiting for "the blue line" to appear, if you get my drift, it's potentially a life changing moment!!!

Anyawy back to your reccie; we changed our watches to kiwi time as soon as we boarded the plane & TBH did the same as everyone else, tried to stay awake for as long as we could the 1st night, although seem to remember waking up at 4am the 1st morning & coming downstairs in our apartment to find I was the last one to wake up

Re the interviews. Kev was interviewed for Senior Site Manager positions & went in smart shirt & trousers, no tie. This was on the advise of the agency. So long as your OH is comfortable like that, I think he'll find it perfectly acceptable.

HTH
Sarah
I know, have had fingers crossed for you, hopefully any day now though

Yep, it sure has come round quick. And it's been manic! We've sold the house, done pistols at dawn with ex-h who's finally agreed to give his consent for the kids to go (didn't really have any objection, just liked the thought he could keep us dangling, hasn't seen kids for years and never contacts them), have filled in EOI ready to give to consultant when we meet him in Cch and have (hopefully) all evidence ready for ITA submission. All we need now is the job offer!
Thanks for the advice; OH would usually wear suit & tie but didn't want to turn up like that to interviews and feel like a plank if the NZ interviewer was in shorts n t-shirt!!
Will post how we get on when we get back.
Thanks again and keep smiling
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:22 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I had an interview two days after we landed and I was fine, I felt a bit like I had just got off a boat and felt a bit rocky for the first week but the interview went well and I got the job.
Dress the same as you would for any interview but expect it to last quite a bit longer than you're used to. Mine lasted nearly an hour and I had another a few months later somewhere else and that was the same.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:48 pm
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by sky
I had an interview two days after we landed and I was fine, I felt a bit like I had just got off a boat and felt a bit rocky for the first week but the interview went well and I got the job.
Dress the same as you would for any interview but expect it to last quite a bit longer than you're used to. Mine lasted nearly an hour and I had another a few months later somewhere else and that was the same.
Wish we had two days to recover!! - we land at 8am, first interview at 11am then one at 1pm, . . . and another 3.30pm, that's just day 1!!

Do they ask the same kinda questions as here, like 'tell us what are your strengths and weaknesses', that sort of thing?
Old Mar 10th 2007, 9:23 am
UK, NZ and SA User

Maz & TeamEmbo - do let me know if it worked!

Happy travelling.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:26 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Maz & TeamEmbo - do let me know if it worked!

Happy travelling.
I will let you know in about six weeks' time! Thanks ever so much Lease, I've sent you some karma.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:44 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Do they ask the same kinda questions as here, like 'tell us what are your strengths and weaknesses', that sort of thing?
Yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.