Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

i've changed my mind....

i've changed my mind....

Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:26 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i've changed my mind....

..... i wanna go live on the south island, not in welly hahahahha

really fancy nelson, blenheim and the like, so northern tip of south island.

problem is - the job. dp would have to catch a ferry to work in welly.

does anyone here commute via the interislander couple times a week? is it feasible? (not everyday - if he can get a job where he works from home and just has to do the trip couple times a week it is worth considering i think)
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:35 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i've changed my mind....

Originally Posted by dreamfish
..... i wanna go live on the south island, not in welly hahahahha

really fancy nelson, blenheim and the like, so northern tip of south island.

problem is - the job. dp would have to catch a ferry to work in welly.

does anyone here commute via the interislander couple times a week? is it feasible? (not everyday - if he can get a job where he works from home and just has to do the trip couple times a week it is worth considering i think)
Hi Kate,

Good choice. I've always fancied the South myself I think people do it since I met a woman at a trade show in the UK earlier this year who lived in Wellie and commented on people commuting between the islands by ferry for work. BUT I think the crossing is c. 3 hours, so with travelling at either end and a boarding etc, that is a fairly long commute.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:39 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Kate,

Good choice. I've always fancied the South myself I think people do it since I met a woman at a trade show in the UK earlier this year who lived in Wellie and commented on people commuting between the islands by ferry for work. BUT I think the crossing is c. 3 hours, so with travelling at either end and a boarding etc, that is a fairly long commute.
blimey - u gotta be keen!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:50 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Or stupid to want to go on a ferry ride 7 hrs a day travelling plus 8 hrs work ,possibly longer and rougher in winter seasick included ,its not the best ferry ride in the world even when calm .
Come and live in Welly
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Flat sharing in Welly through the week could be an idea.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:01 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boopy
Flat sharing in Welly through the week could be an idea.

All adds to more expense when you could just buy here in the first place and work local when only one breadwinner is the equation with kids to look after .Working in Wellington is fine if you live on the NI nearby-ish but a ferry every day ,no thanks a traffic jam for 30 -45 mins is better in my book than the interislander at $50 walk on each way plus taxi to work =$500 per week plus as you suggested a share in Welly at $? per week .If you are on megabucks which is rare here for expats it may work but would you want the hassle each day,we came here for the easier life not the hustle bustle of London style working .
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:53 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherry

Or stupid to want to go on a ferry ride 7 hrs a day travelling plus 8 hrs work ,possibly longer and rougher in winter seasick included ,its not the best ferry ride in the world even when calm .
Come and live in Welly
I love the ferry crossing - especially when it's calm. But it does take 3 1/2 hours.
What about flying? Probably similar cost and takes about 25 minutes.

Though I agree you'd be mad to do it really.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:58 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Day!

This is Stephen and Melissa in beautiful Marlborough, just outside of Blenheim.

Your OH can commute by air!

http://www.soundsair.com/fares.php

Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Come to lovely sunny Blenheim and enjoy this wonderfull place!!!!

glad to see that sunny UK spring hasnt changed your mind!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Come to lovely sunny Blenheim and enjoy this wonderfull place!!!!

glad to see that sunny UK spring hasnt changed your mind!!!!
On some winter days, the majority of passengers are seasick !
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:33 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
On some winter days, the majority of passengers are seasick !
Must be the pies!