Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I've booked my flight - eeeek!!!

I've booked my flight - eeeek!!!

Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default I've booked my flight - eeeek!!!

Well I took a huge gamble and booked the ONE WAY flight today as they are going up in price day by day, even though I haven't yet applied for my work visa! I arrive in Akl on 3rd Feb, collect my car from friend in Tauranga, then drive down to Welly on 4th Feb. Accommodation all sorted now. Start work on 11th. Just gotta keep fingers crossed that the police checks come back v soon (medical already done) and that NZIS have a quickish turnaround for the visa paperwork.

I know its crazy but I needed to do something positive cos my family and friends are all making me feel quite negative at the moment.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've booked my flight - eeeek!!!

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Well I took a huge gamble and booked the ONE WAY flight today as they are going up in price day by day, even though I haven't yet applied for my work visa! I arrive in Akl on 3rd Feb, collect my car from friend in Tauranga, then drive down to Welly on 4th Feb. Accommodation all sorted now. Start work on 11th. Just gotta keep fingers crossed that the police checks come back v soon (medical already done) and that NZIS have a quickish turnaround for the visa paperwork.

I know its crazy but I needed to do something positive cos my family and friends are all making me feel quite negative at the moment.
Congratulations Michelle, It'll all feel pretty real now! Try and relax now and enjoy your last cold christmas!!

Simon
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

i suppose that you know that you won't be able to check in at the airport with a one way ticket, without the work visa ?
Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:06 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
i suppose that you know that you won't be able to check in at the airport with a one way ticket, without the work visa ?
She's got a bit over a month before her flight. With the work visa in her passport she'll be right.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Izzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to all

Thanks brussels_sprout, I didn't know that
I suppose that you know that you won't be able to check in at the airport with a one way ticket, without the work visa ?
Our PLAN B was to send OH and apply for a work visa in Welly if we don't get the PR before he needs to leave. I'll now book a return flight if this is the case.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

The worst that can happen is that I have to get a refund on the ticket. I know my med is ok and that I have a clean police record and all my work papers are complete so its just a case of NZIS turning round the visa within 4 weeks.

I am trying to stay positive in the face of negativity from all the people around me. Please send me positive vibes.....
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:52 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,
Positive vibes coming to you, I'm sure they'll be able to get it done in the 4 weeks, I am always the optomistic with others , but bizarrely, can't muster it up for myself at the mo, I'm waiting for NZIS in Hamilton to approve my visa, had to have extra blood tests, OH and kids have thier visas back, but poor old me is still waiting, so you get some good vibes if I can get some back.
So it'll all work out for both of us I'm sure.
Best wishes. Marika
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Izzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to all

Michelle it will be fine, you've plenty of time to get your work visa sorted (only takes 2 weeks). Then you will be off to the warmth of an NZ summer and a fabulous new life.

We still get friends being negative but have chosen to believe it is because they will miss us and are somewhat jealous too that we have the guts to follow our dream.

Stick to your dream, girl!!! A wonderful new life awaits you!!!

PS I was given some wise words by a friend recently. She said "people don't always miss you just for being you. It's often mixed in with what you do for them.... and that's why they can sometimes act selfishly about your future".
Old Dec 18th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Good luck, booking the flight is a great way to start making it feel real. Just to let you know my police cert took 1 and a half months and the work visa has taken 2 weeks.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 5:03 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzy and Ian
PS I was given some wise words by a friend recently. She said "people don't always miss you just for being you. It's often mixed in with what you do for them.... and that's why they can sometimes act selfishly about your future".
Oh that is SO true! I would give you karma for that, but I have to spread it around first.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Cappucino...........WoooHooooo to you girl.

Should be right behind you with the flights. Keep smiling and remember that your doing this for you and no-one else. Keep jumping on here for a bit of help and you'll be fine.

Old Dec 19th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you all for your support and positiveness - people I can count on when all around me are doing my head in!

Good luck to everyone playing the waiting game at whatever stage and may all your Christmas wishes come true.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

rebecca10 is just really nicerebecca10 is just really nicerebecca10 is just really nicerebecca10 is just really nicerebecca10 is just really nicerebecca10 is just really nicerebecca10 is just really nicerebecca10 is just really nicerebecca10 is just really nice

Thank you all for your support and positiveness - people I can count on when all around me are doing my head in!

Good luck to everyone playing the waiting game at whatever stage and may all your Christmas wishes come true.
I booked my flight to make it all seem real! If you are 30 or under then apply for a working holiday visa online. they take 24hours to process!! fab! I went out on it in June and going out again on it in Jan. Going to apply for my working visa whilst I'm out there. If that is not possible then just book a flight out to Oz, cheapest you can find, as long as you have a flight out of there thats all they care about then just cancel it!