Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ITV - No Place Like Home

ITV - No Place Like Home

Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

JoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura about
Default ITV - No Place Like Home

Hiya

I've been watching ITV's No Place Like Home and on Tuesday 10 July at 8.00pm (next week) it will be about a family who emigrated to NZ this is what it says in the TV listings:

"Catherine Gee comes to the aid of Yorkshire-born and bred Cathy Walmsley, who persuaded her husband Mick to emigrate to New Zealand in search of new experiences. Seventeen years later, and now with five children, they revisit the north of England to assess the possibility of resuming their lives back in the UK."

The one which was on this week was about Australia. Anyone else been watching it?

Jo x
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice
Default Re: ITV - No Place Like Home

I've been watching it. I know you can't always tell what's been going on but from what they showed of the husband this week I would have told him to put up and shut up or 'goodbye'. No wonder we're known as whinging poms.
Looking forward to next weeks though.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

JoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by suzi n steve
I've been watching it. I know you can't always tell what's been going on but from what they showed of the husband this week I would have told him to put up and shut up or 'goodbye'. No wonder we're known as whinging poms.
Looking forward to next weeks though.
Yeah totally agree what a whinging git!!!!!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Twinblade is on a distinguished road

I've been watching it too, and thought to myself what the heck is this guy doing. He doesn't seem to like anything to do with Australia and at the same time he didn't really like what England had to offer. He was pressuring his wife to return home, but when she asked him to do one simple thing to pesuade her to come home (get a job) he wouldnt.

Have been enjoying it, reminds me of another programme I used to watch then people moved abroad, spent a fortnight at their new destination then decided to stay or return home.

With this programme though, it always seems to be the man who wants to return home. Not a good advert for male expats.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We have watched the first 2 in the series too. IMHO the men really hadn't given their new homes much of a chance. In the first programme the couple had retired and just seemed to be bored in Cyprus. We watched the Oz one last night and I agree... that guy just didn't seem like he'd be happy anywhere. I felt sorry for his wife... I think he will keep moaning and moaning til he gets his own way. After the program finished they said that after 3 months back in OZ he started moaning again and they had decided to go back to UK after all provided he got a decent job. He was annoyed as his qualifications weren't recognised in Oz and he refused to pay 500 bucks to get his recognised qualifications...... choosing to whinge about everything instead.

I will look forward to seeing next weeks one... always interested to see what other expats think of living in NZ.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:49 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoandDean
Hiya

I've been watching ITV's No Place Like Home and on Tuesday 10 July at 8.00pm (next week) it will be about a family who emigrated to NZ this is what it says in the TV listings:

"Catherine Gee comes to the aid of Yorkshire-born and bred Cathy Walmsley, who persuaded her husband Mick to emigrate to New Zealand in search of new experiences. Seventeen years later, and now with five children, they revisit the north of England to assess the possibility of resuming their lives back in the UK."

The one which was on this week was about Australia. Anyone else been watching it?

Jo x
Will have to tape it as going out but wouldn't want to miss that one
thanks
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Katmat will become famous soon enoughKatmat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SarahB
We have watched the first 2 in the series too. IMHO the men really hadn't given their new homes much of a chance. In the first programme the couple had retired and just seemed to be bored in Cyprus. We watched the Oz one last night and I agree... that guy just didn't seem like he'd be happy anywhere. I felt sorry for his wife... I think he will keep moaning and moaning til he gets his own way. After the program finished they said that after 3 months back in OZ he started moaning again and they had decided to go back to UK after all provided he got a decent job. He was annoyed as his qualifications weren't recognised in Oz and he refused to pay 500 bucks to get his recognised qualifications...... choosing to whinge about everything instead.

I will look forward to seeing next weeks one... always interested to see what other expats think of living in NZ.
SarahB- what channel is it on here in NZ? Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katmat
SarahB- what channel is it on here in NZ? Thanks
Hiya.... sorry its not on tv in NZ. We watch a download version of it.

I've just seen the 3rd and last program this evening. A family had lived in NZ for 16 years. She had children and grand-children in NZ and still thought she wanted to move back to the Bradford area. When they got there Bradford had changed... and they didnt like it much.... but they did like Skipton. In the end they decided to stay in NZ and she said she would stop moaning about it. IMHO they made the right decision as she had so many more family members to leave in NZ.... just a few old friends and one brother in UK. At least now she can stop wondering about "what if...."
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't they return to Bradford-bet you that was a shock.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by danny.f
Didn't they return to Bradford-bet you that was a shock.
All the places they remembered in the centre of Bradford had been knocked down. The hubby was really easy going and said he would live wherever she wanted to but it would be the "final move" they would make so she had to get it right. He looked really relieved to be going back to NZ.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
All the places they remembered in the centre of Bradford had been knocked down. The hubby was really easy going and said he would live wherever she wanted to but it would be the "final move" they would make so she had to get it right. He looked really relieved to be going back to NZ.
Nice to be that chilled about life. Good luck to them.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by danny.f
Nice to be that chilled about life. Good luck to them.
Yep, they seemed like really nice people.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Couldn't believe it was Bradford they were looking at, its not all that far from us. Bet it was a big shock to them especially the kids!!!!

NZ ......... Bradford decisions decisions
Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JoandDean
Couldn't believe it was Bradford they were looking at, its not all that far from us. Bet it was a big shock to them especially the kids!!!!

NZ ......... Bradford decisions decisions
Indeed-think they made the right 'last move'!