Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's becoming sooo real... 10 weeks!

It's becoming sooo real... 10 weeks!

Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:19 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's becoming sooo real... 10 weeks!

So we only have 10 weeks until we fly out to NZ for good... and the reality and magnitude of the whole 'thing' has now set in!

Got most paperworky bits done, few more things to gather but they are in progress, just got to confirm the date with the shippers and the pet removers.

I am flitting between ecstatic, excited and over-the-moon... to tearful, sad (at leaving fam & friends) and down-right-terrified! I guess this is normal right?!

I am also stressing about shipping the cat out and can't help thinking the worse of his traumatic journey... at least we know WHY we are making the loooong journey, he has no clue!

Just fancied getting my feelings out there anyway, helps sometimes!!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:10 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's becoming sooo real... 10 weeks!

Wait till you see that June list, your be self combusting

Good luck getting everything sorted lots to do! I am sure cat will be ok lots have done it so try not to worry too much

Dewb
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:32 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

hi guys exciting times ahead!

on a slightly different point can I suggest you change your one way flights for return ones now. might sound strange to do but its the one thing we regreted not doing. i dont think it will cost that much more from the uk to do.

reason being once here you can delay the return flight/change the date for a small fee.
it then gives you the chance for a holiday back to the uk a year down the line as once in the uk you could purchase another one way ticket back to NZ cheaper than you could get a return from NZ.

Not sure any of that makes sense!

all the best

george
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

I am also stressing about shipping the cat out and can't help thinking the worse of his traumatic journey
Don't worry about the cat. We flew our cat across the world and she was fine! Its awesome when you finally meet him at the other end and they are so glad to see you!!!

Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:39 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

You'll have a few more tears yet, they'll dry up soon enough though, it was the hardest thing I've ever done emotionly, and the time you're in now, a bit of a limbo time, is pretty rotten at times, u just need the next 10 weeks to go, as soon as you're on the plane you'll be fine honest - skype works wonders for keeping in touch and theres something on the internet called "Bookface" or something - you may have heard of it , works quite well too
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Flowerpot

I shipped my 2 cats over ( 1 8yrs and 1 7months) and i have to say they were absolutely fine
I shipped mine out a month before we flew and had them stay in a cattery here in NZ, this actually worked out cheaper then boarding them in the UK (has we shipped our container out a month before we flew so we didn't have to wait to long in Nz without our things).
We kept them boarded until our container arrived at the house so that they had all the familiar smells around them and didn't have to "stay indoors" for a month. They settled fine and went out the next night acting like they've always lived here

I have to say reality didn't "hit me" until i boarded the plane here, then i was like OMG what have i done i think i was just on autopilot, and also holding back the emotions to protect my kids so that they didn't get upset. It is very hard to leave friends and family behind, the guilt i felt at going was unreal, but the excitement of starting a new life is pretty good to.

Just treasure your memories of people and relish the idea of all the new memories your gonna make here in NZ

Leanne
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:12 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your kind comments everyone... mini-panic has passed now!

Took Tony (cat) to the vets this morning for his booster needle and the vet has advised Feliway spray which relaxes cats when travelling, its herbal so will be allowed... feel a bit better about it now!

I'm back to being waaaaaaaaay excited again!!! Plus our friends and fam are organising a massive farewell party for us so thats something to look forward to!

Not sure about the UK visit a year in pestman, we are planning on being in NZ for at least 3 yrs before we travel back for a hol, want to give it a fair shot and not confuse ourselves... plus is an expense we cant afford!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:16 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I use Felaway when I need to get my lovely TylerBaBa pusscat into his catbox for a vets visit. He just hates the cat box. It gives him the . My other old cat Hollycat thinks Tyler is a big woosie.

Your cat will be fine. Bored but fine. Mine have the time of their lives here now. Their favorite is to go out through the bathroom window and sit on our tin roof surveying all before them.
Husband collected them after the internal flight and they just looked at him and went 'Is that it - Yawn?. Feed us NOW'

Hope you have a fab time at your farewell party with your family and friends.

Next stop -----New Zealand
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Hi flowerpot - know just how you feel we are heading out in ~June although flights yet to be booked!!!. Just waiting to exchange contracts on the house. Also worried about my to cats but thanksfor the helway spray, not heard of that before so will look into as our vet didn't suggest anything!!!. As you say 10weeks and counting
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

just read the ppost again I mean felaway
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I use Feliway too I have 2 diffusers in the house as Libby & Oscar are a bit nervous. I also use it in capsule form if they have to travel they have a capsule each for around a week before they travel and a week after it apparently has a milky taste Oscar lays back in my arms and can't get it down his neck quick enough they will be fine with it

Angela
Old Apr 9th 2010, 12:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Would this work on husbands I wonder.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim
Hi

I use Feliway too I have 2 diffusers in the house as Libby & Oscar are a bit nervous. I also use it in capsule form if they have to travel they have a capsule each for around a week before they travel and a week after it apparently has a milky taste Oscar lays back in my arms and can't get it down his neck quick enough they will be fine with it

Angela
I am talking absolute rubbish the capusles are zykalene not feliway
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

Not sure about the UK visit a year in pestman, we are planning on being in NZ for at least 3 yrs before we travel back for a hol
Thats a very good idea. I know people who have been so homesick theyve gone back very soon and left New Zealand for good without giving it a really good shot.

It took me about 2 years to really get over missing my friends/family and simple little things.

as it turns out, i've been here for 6 and still not been back!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
So we only have 10 weeks until we fly out to NZ for good... and the reality and magnitude of the whole 'thing' has now set in!

Got most paperworky bits done, few more things to gather but they are in progress, just got to confirm the date with the shippers and the pet removers.

I am flitting between ecstatic, excited and over-the-moon... to tearful, sad (at leaving fam & friends) and down-right-terrified! I guess this is normal right?!

I am also stressing about shipping the cat out and can't help thinking the worse of his traumatic journey... at least we know WHY we are making the loooong journey, he has no clue!

Just fancied getting my feelings out there anyway, helps sometimes!!!
Good luck you guys! Your both going to be fine, and before you know it your be in kiwi land and loving the lifestyle here.

We arrived in Auckland the week before xmas, now living in Takapuna, and are totally loving it! Best move we ever made!

Where abouts in Auckland you looking to settle?

In case you haven't, take photocopies of a few mortgage statements, bank bills, car insurance no claims etc and bring them with you. Certainly helps to have them straight away to get rentals/insurance etc with!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.